DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Refusal to Register With FAA

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s up to you if you’ve got the time.

Q3. What is the penalty for failing to register?

A. The FAA states that failure to register an aircraft may result in regulatory and criminal sanctions. The FAA may assess civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties include fines of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment for up to three years.
Thank you, you made my point. The FAA is the entity that will come after you. It's a boat load easier to follow the rules, take 5 minutes and 5 dollars to register and now you don't have to worry about anything. The guys flying without 107 have it a lot easier than those who have the 107 cert.

Then you did not register direct with the FAA. Might have also paid more then the required $5.
Seriously? I don't come here to argue with people. You sir are mistaken, here is my registration before I received my 107.registration.JPG
The FAA has given them instructions on how to address these situations. As I said, local law enforcement is then asked by the FAA to turn over the infraction information for possible action by the FAA. Local law enforcement is not enforcing FAA regulation, they report the possible infraction to the FAA for possible action.[/QUOTE
Seriously? I don't come here to argue with people. You sir are mistaken, here is my registration before I received my 107.registration.JPG
Anyone, LEO or not can report an infraction to the FAA
Now please explain to me why mine has a SN on it?

*edit.. IF you still don't believe me. Lets wager on it.. I'm thinking a brand new battery would be a good wager. I will post the email showing it coming from
[email protected]

Last edited:
I was required to enter the SN of my device when I registered.
Sure ANY law enforcement officer can ask you anything they want that doesn't mean they have the authority to enforce FAA regulations. The point is exactly what I said, the only people that would come after you is the FAA if you are in the states.
That means that you registered under Part 107 and not under Part 336.

If you are flying for only hobby/recreation, then you should have registered under Part 336.

Seriously? I don't come here to argue with people. You sir are mistaken, here is my registration before I received my 107.View attachment 45411

*edit.. IF you still don't believe me. Lets wager on it.. I'm thinking a brand new battery would be a good wager. I will post the email showing it coming from
[email protected]
You chose the wrong option when you registered.

Seriously? I don't come here to argue with people. You sir are mistaken, here is my registration before I received my 107.View attachment 45411

[email protected]

But just to clarify - that is a perfectly valid registration whether you are flying under Part 107 or Part 101 (hobby / Section 336). If you only fly under Part 101 then the disadvantage is that it is only good for that particular drone, whereas if you register under the Part 101 section then you get a number that you can put on any drone without additional registration.

But just to clarify - that is a perfectly valid registration whether you are flying under Part 107 or Part 101 (hobby / Section 336). If you only fly under Part 101 then the disadvantage is that it is only good for that particular drone, whereas if you register under the Part 101 section then you get a number that you can put on any drone without additional registration.
I have different ones for each of my drones. When I called the FAA they said to register each one with the SN if I ever planned on getting my 107 but it would be valid without the 107.

what happens if you dont register: if you fly in an area using aeroscope and your serial number doesnt have a registered email address, it will be flagged and they will look into it further through dji to get purchase information on the drone.

I have different ones for each of my drones. When I called the FAA they said to register each one with the SN if I ever planned on getting my 107 but it would be valid without the 107.

That's completely correct but the point being made above was that, under Part 101, there is no requirement to register each drone (you are instead registering yourself) and, under the Part 101 registration system, there is nowhere to enter a serial number.

The OP and the following discussion was about Part 101.

I know he was talking about 101
The OP and the following discussion was about Part 101.
I get that but I was pointing out the fact that he said you don't register any drone with the FAA. That statement is incorrect.

He also said "You registered _yourself_ as a person who flies a drone that meets the criteria." This is not true, I registered my drones.

I know he was talking about 101

I get that but I was pointing out the fact that he said you don't register any drone with the FAA. That statement is incorrect.

He also said "You registered _yourself_ as a person who flies a drone that meets the criteria." This is not true, I registered my drones.

No - he was correct referring to Part 101. Under Part 101 you do not register a drone - you register yourself. Under Part 107 you register each drone.

No - he was correct referring to Part 101. Under Part 101 you do not register a drone - you register yourself. Under Part 107 you register each drone.

The way I read his post was that he was referring to me and telling me that I did not register my drones. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter as long as you register. Follow the rules so that we can all continue flying without a ton of restrictions. There are enough restrictions already.

Reactions: Classic flyer
The way I read his post was that he was referring to me and telling me that I did not register my drones. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter as long as you register. Follow the rules so that we can all continue flying without a ton of restrictions. There are enough restrictions already.

I think it was one of those glorious internet miscommunications. You said that you registered a drone without putting in a serial number. The discussion was about Part 101, and so it was pointed out that registration doesn't require a serial number since you are not registering the drone. Then it all went pear-shaped.

The way I read his post was that he was referring to me and telling me that I did not register my drones.

That is correct.. As confirmed by many people (and the FAA's website) under section 336, you don't give the FAA any serial numbers and they don't even ask for any on their website. From the FAA's own website:

UAS Registration

UAS Flown under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Section 336)
In order to register, you'll need:

• Email address
  • Credit or debit card
  • Physical address and mailing address (if different from physical address)

Here is what they say about registering under 107:

UAS Flown under the Small UAS Rule (Part 107)
In order to register, you'll need:

• Email address
  • Credit or debit card
  • Physical address and mailing address (if different from physical address)
  • Make and model of your unmanned aircraft.

According to the FAA (and _many_ people in this thread) the FAA does not require any drone information when you register under 336. They _do_ require it under 107 but that is not what we are talking about.

I'll go further. I set up another account with the FAA to register under 336. I've attached the actual online registration form from their website. Notice.... no questions at all about any drone (serial number or otherwise). This is straight from the FAA's website that everyone uses to register under 336.

Perhaps you are confused about your 107 and 336 registration cards. According to the FAA they do ask for drone information under 107.

I've also attached my registration under 336 to show what it looks like. Notice, it actually states it is under 336 (so there is no confusion if it's 336 or 107).

Bottom line, registering under 336 does not require (or even allow) drones/drone serial numbers to be entered. You enter your information and then are required to put your one registration number on and and all drones you fly that as required.

(I don't need the free battery)

Attachments

• FAADroneZone - My Profile.pdf
    81.6 KB · Views: 7
  • FAAReg1.JPG
    FAAReg1.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 30
Thank you, you made my point. The FAA is the entity that will come after you. It's a boat load easier to follow the rules, take 5 minutes and 5 dollars to register and now you don't have to worry about anything. The guys flying without 107 have it a lot easier than those who have the 107 cert.
Amen bro...be part of the solution not part of the problem...be safe, fly smart

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
It’s up to you if you’ve got the time.

Q3. What is the penalty for failing to register?

A. The FAA states that failure to register an aircraft may result in regulatory and criminal sanctions. The FAA may assess civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties include fines of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment for up to three years.

Dont get me wrong, I spent the $5 and registered. I am comparing to the drug tax stamp because I feel it is the same sort of requirement. The FAA doesn't have "agents" out in the wild contacting people flying drones to see if they are FAA registered. BUT If you do get in trouble with your drone, you will be charged with what ever you did, AND a charge for not being registered. In other words, it is a secondary charge type thing only.

Dont get me wrong, I spent the $5 and registered. I am comparing to the drug tax stamp because I feel it is the same sort of requirement. The FAA doesn't have "agents" out in the wild contacting people flying drones to see if they are FAA registered. BUT If you do get in trouble with your drone, you will be charged with what ever you did, AND a charge for not being registered. In other words, it is a secondary charge type thing only.

They do have "agents" that do this... it is called any law enforcement officer. The FAA has put information out to these people on what to check and what to do if they find someone who is flying and not registered. I'm not saying that law enforcement have a right to require that they be shown info even if they don't have reason to believe a crime _has_ been committed, I've not looked into that. But it is possible.

Reactions: Classic flyer
They do have "agents" that do this... it is called any law enforcement officer. The FAA has put information out to these people on what to check and what to do if they find someone who is flying and not registered. I'm not saying that law enforcement have a right to require that they be shown info even if they don't have reason to believe a crime _has_ been committed, I've not looked into that. But it is possible.
They don't have agents, they have investigators, kind like detectives but they do not have agents like law enforcements.

That's a fact jack...be safe, fly smart

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard