DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Refusal to Register With FAA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just googled faa drone registration and it clearly says "any drone over .55..."

"Federal law requires that small unmanned aircraft weighing more than .55 pounds and less than 55, be registered with the FAA and marked with a registration number, either by registering online or by using the legacy paper based registrationprocess.Aug 29, 2018"

Reactions: jaysrmc
That's what I said... so whats your problem? Just want to argue? Find someone else. And I wasn't even replying to you about the .5 lbs - 55 lbs. 2 other people were giving wrong information on the post. You just jumped in to start crap...again. "Dealing with idiots"? That was you right?
LOL! He is calling you out over 500ths of a pound! :D

Well, In his defense. I AM dumb sometimes.
Splitting hairs over the weight of a few dead flies for the win is pretty funny to me. See, I am dumb!

Hey guys, it's been awhile since I've been here, my phone USB port got fouled up so not flying much for a couple of months or so. Looking for an alternative.

Anyways, I guy I know said he was going to get a quad soon and I asked him about registering and he said he wasn't going to because of government overreach or something and I wondered what would happen if he got caught.

I'm not sure who would catch him or how. Maybe if you're in a park flying and a cop asks you for registration? I would assume if you created some kind of disaster, then they would somehow track you down from info taken from the quad, find out it's not registered, so double trouble.

This got me thinking; how many people don't bother registering and why? What would be the consequences of not registering? And who would actually be coming after you?

Sorry in advance if this is stupid, click bait, or I'm just an idiot. Hah!

First do you live in the USA? If you do, The FAA requires that you register a drone that weighs between .55 lbs and 55 lbs...does that end this post?

Well, In his defense. I AM dumb sometimes.
Splitting hairs over the weight of a few dead flies for the win is pretty funny to me. See, I am dumb!

I have seen good posts by him and then crap posts also. Maybe he changes after a few bourbons. That caused my divorce...ha.

That's what I said... so whats your problem? Just want to argue? Find someone else. And I wasn't even replying to you about the .5 lbs - 55 lbs. 2 other people were giving wrong information on the post. You just jumped in to start crap...again. "Dealing with idiots"? That was you right?
No not me

When I registered, they did not ask me if I even owned a drone, nor did they ask how many I had. The only thing I registered was my name, address and contact information. They gave ME a number to identify ME, and I put MY number on all my drones. I dont know what you are on about, Maybe you are talking part 107 maybe? I still stand by the FACTS I posted and you dont except.
No, you are wrong. Again, the number you got from the FAA is to be put on your drones, not on yourself. I have explained this at length in my prior posts. I have given you very relevant analogies to the registration of automotive vehicles. You keep making unsupported presumptions without citing anything to prove them.

What I am stating is what the AMA confirmed. Do you know better than them?

Right now, the only users the FAA is licensing are commercial users (with 107). There is absolutely nothing out there that says that a recreational/hobbyist flier of a drone has to be registered. What is required is that the drone be registered. The FAA website says you must register your model aircraft. Obviously, you can't register "your" model aircraft if you don't own one, can you? It doesn't say you must register yourself if you even merely fly drones.

No, you are wrong. Again, the number you got from the FAA is to be put on your drones, not on yourself. I have explained this at length in my prior posts. I have given you very relevant analogies to the registration of automotive vehicles. You keep making unsupported presumptions without citing anything to prove them.

What I am stating is what the AMA confirmed. Do you know better than them?

Right now, the only users the FAA is licensing are commercial users (with 107). There is absolutely nothing out there that says that a recreational/hobbyist flier of a drone has to be registered. What is required is that the drone be registered. The FAA website says you must register your model aircraft. Obviously, you can't register "your" model aircraft if you don't own one, can you? It doesn't say you must register yourself if you even merely fly drones.

Dude, relax. I am not wrong I cant make it any simpler for you. When you register a CAR you do just that. Make model year, and serial number. They assign a plate TO THAT car . If you have more cars you go through the same process with each additional car, and they each receive a unique plate number specific to the car.
Just like real aircraft get unique N numbers for each plane.

What you are saying is like saying all I need to do is put my drivers license number on every motor vehicle I own. and We both know that doesnt work.

When registering with the FAA for hobby use show me where it asks if you even have a drone, and where it asks how many. If you are registering a drone wouldnt a description of such be a requirement? Since I can put the same FAA number on 20 drones (if I had that many) It is PAINFULLY obvious that the number identifies ME, not the drone. Why is this even a problem for you? Its your registration number so they have a place to direct fines and punishment if there is a problem caused by your Registered drone.

This is 100 percent wrong.

Fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft

Registration Requirements

The FAA requires you to register as a "modeler" and mark your model aircraft with your registration number in case it is lost or stolen.

Registration costs $5 and is valid for 3 years.

More information about the registration process is available through UAS Registration.

This is 100 percent wrong.

Fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft

Registration Requirements

The FAA requires you to register as a "modeler" and mark your model aircraft with your registration number in case it is lost or stolen.

Registration costs $5 and is valid for 3 years.

More information about the registration process is available through UAS Registration.

It couldnt be clearer. I think its personal with me now. There is no convincing him otherwise it seems.....

Guys take a deep breath and relax... no need to get all worked up...you both presented your points of view let it go with that...be safe, fly smart

Guys take a deep breath and relax... no need to get all worked up...you both presented your points of view let it go with that...be safe, fly smart
This being a drone forum, I feel compelled to correct invalid information on the subject to keep people from not understanding how it works. I would have hoped he would have checked his work before continually repeat posting incorrect information. I am done now. There is no cure man......

This being a drone forum, I feel compelled to correct invalid information on the subject to keep people from not understanding how it works. I would have hoped he would have checked his work before continually repeat posting incorrect information. I am done now. There is no cure man......
I hear you man... "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink" as the saying goes

I just called the FAA and spoke with Brandon (who works at their service desk for drones). I asked him about recreational/hobbyist users of drones and the registration requirements for them. He said that multiple people can fly the same drone without all being registered. He said if you sell the drone, you cancel your registration (and the new person should register it).

I asked Brandon about what the requirements are if someone who does not own a drone and is not registered borrows your drone and flies it. Brandon said he needed to get guidance on that question and put me on hold. After a minute or two, he came back on the line and told me that if the registered owner of a drone is not present, the flier who is using/borrowing the drone should have the registration card from the owner of the drone with him (though it will not have the borrower's name on it, of course).

Next, I asked Brandon if a drone user who does not own a drone needs to be registered, and he said no. I then asked him if it is even possible for a drone user who frequently flies drones (for recreational purposes), but does not own a drone, to register. Brandon said no, that people registering are there for the purpose of registering drones, and if they don't have a drone, they should not be registering.

That is from a staff member at the FAA. Are you now going to tell me that you know better than the AMA and FAA, @ac0j? You are accusing me of being unreasonable and spreading false information, but that is, in fact, exactly what you are doing.

Reactions: Classic flyer
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danyjames_