DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Refusal to Register With FAA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mentioning someone else's post about something different then you are stating is hardly proof. What _IS_ proof is when someone shows you the actual FAA registration and the _FACT_ that there is absolutely no way to register _ANY_ drone. Yet... you simply continue to state that this is true. Sorry, you are 100% incorrect, have been 100% incorrect all along and that is obvious to everyone that can read. If you would like to review the _facts_, please feel free. Somehow I don't think you will start now.

Refusal to Register With FAA

Nope. You simply use quotes from other people and unrelated information. I actually provided the webpages from the FAA showing the registration information. It shows absolute proof that the FAA _NEVER_ asks for _ANY_ drone information. If you can't accept reality as proof... then you are daft.

At this point I'll simply let my post linked above speak for itself as absolute proof that drones _cannot_ even be registered under hobby use. You can simply disagree with the facts. People will understand who is correct. Have a nice day.
Well, your error here is that you presume that the lack of details for the drone means that it is not registered. That is simply your unsupported assertion. The drone is registered and the purpose of its registration is accomplished by requiring it to bear its registration number that lets it be traced back to its owner. Any other drone you own also bears this number, meaning it is registered to you, also. Why is that so hard to understand? I don't know why so many of you focus on the lack of details and make the jump in reasoning that the lack of details means the drone itself is not what is being registered.

All drones have a make model and serial number.Even the cheapest $40 I own. So they could be registered, JUST LIKE they are in a part 107 registration.
You obviously dont want, or need to understand this.
Because, as you said, the drone you fly isn't registered to you, its registered to a family member.

All drones have a make model and serial number.Even the cheapest $40 I own. So they could be registered, JUST LIKE they are in a part 107 registration.
You obviously dont want, or need to understand this.
Because, as you said, the drone you fly isn't registered to you, its registered to a family member.
No, some drones are homemade, and they do not have serial numbers. Also, others here have stated that they own drones that do not have serial numbers. My first drone that I bought about 8 years ago did not have a serial number. So this is something you are completely incorrect about.

Read what the poster in #116 in this thread said: "You do not always have to put in a serial number as some companies just don't have them. One of my drones fell into that category."

Reactions: UAVNV and dawgpilot
Not COMPLETELY incorrect. But I'll give you that point, this time your sort of right.
Maybe not all have a make model and serial number. BUT every Mavic, Phantom, spark, and inspire do. I checked all mine. The one drone that I own UNDER .55lbs has a make and model, but NO serial number. ALL of the ones big enough to be considered by the FAA DO have a serial number.
This argument is dumb anyway. No sense wasting any more energy trying to make you understand. Because in the scheme of things it doesn't matter.
What you need done is done, even though you dont understand WHAT was done.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
Not COMPLETELY incorrect. But I'll give you that point, this time your sort of right.
Maybe not all have a make model and serial number. BUT every Mavic, Phantom, spark, and inspire do. I checked all mine. The one drone that I own UNDER .55lbs has a make and model, but NO serial number. ALL of the ones big enough to be considered by the FAA DO have a serial number.
This argument is dumb anyway. No sense wasting any more energy trying to make you understand. Because in the scheme of things it doesn't matter.
So, finally you admit that you are wrong about something, and then you dismiss it as "dumb" an unimportant. It is not dumb. Like so much else you've said, you were wrong. Who cares if every Mavic and other DJI product has a serial number? Those are FAR from the only drones made, and the fact that all DJI drones have serial numbers is completely irrelevant to a registration system that requires registration of all drones of a certain weight. When you say "all of the ones big enough to be considered by the FAA DO have a serial number," you are still wrong unless you are referring merely to all of your drones of that weight. There are drones that are heavy enough to require registration that do not have serial numbers, and that is an undeniable fact.

Look, Maybe you havent noticed, but you are ALONE in your theory. NO other person has agreed with you. MANY people have tried to explain it to you, you refuse to believe it. They post proof from the FAA portal, you wont except it. There is nothing more to say. You dont want anyone to explain how it works. You want to tell everyone how it works. Everyone here has done it.
I try to help you see the light, and you call me names. So go ahead and believe what you want. Because you are the ONLY one that believes your view.

I will not continue, because there is nothing left to show you.

I'm sorry, but I'm not good enough with this to break down my answer with individual quotes from your post, but let me respond in order:

1. I agree with what you say. You provide your details and not your drone's. However, let me explain my thinking here: I think that you aren't required to provide your drone's details because there are no uniform details to ask about for drones. We've developed the VIN system for cars over a period of 100 years. The FAA can't require serial numbers because many drones don't have them. Some are even homemade. Still, they want drones to be identifiable. So the FAA has settled for requiring the same unique number be put on each drone you own.

It's absolutely not my job to convince you of anything but I'll add just this: the Part 107 registration process requires exactly that - the drone's details, including serial number where available. So arguing that the FAA could not do that for Section 336 registration clearly makes no sense.

Beyond that I'm going to bow out of this discussion, and I'll be candid here - I'm having a hard time accepting that you don't understand what has been explained, multiple times by multiple posters. Either way - I have nothing more to add to the discussion.

Look, Maybe you havent noticed, but you are ALONE in your theory. NO other person has agreed with you. MANY people have tried to explain it to you, you refuse to believe it. They post proof from the FAA portal, you wont except it. There is nothing more to say. You dont want anyone to explain how it works. You want to tell everyone how it works. Everyone here has done it.
I try to help you see the light, and you call me names. So go ahead and believe what you want. Because you are the ONLY one that believes your view.

I will not continue, because there is nothing left to show you.
You have stated you will not continue several times in this thread. There are a handful of people chiming in on this. Whether all of them were to agree or disagree with me does not mean that I am right or wrong. That is more of your flawed logic. They are all going against one the FAA rep told me consulting his someone else higher up than him, so they are going against what two people at the FAA said, and against what the AMA told me.

You have not tried to be helpful. You have repeatedly chimed in after others' posts with comments indicating how wrong and clueless I am in your opinion. Every time you claim to be done, you come back on and again state something about how unreasonable I'm being. I'm still not certain I'm right about this, but I am certain that nothing I've read from anybody here proves me right or wrong. What I ultimately want out of this is an answer that is certain. All you want is to be right and to repeatedly assert that I am unreasonable and have been proven wrong.

It's absolutely not my job to convince you of anything but I'll add just this: the Part 107 registration process requires exactly that - the drone's details, including serial number where available. So arguing that the FAA could not do that for Section 336 registration clearly makes no sense.

Beyond that I'm going to bow out of this discussion, and I'll be candid here - I'm having a hard time accepting that you don't understand what has been explained, multiple times by multiple posters. Either way - I have nothing more to add to the discussion.
I appreciate your input, and I understand perfectly what everyone has said. My reading comprehension is fine. All I'm saying is that the logic is flawed. Just because I do not accept what you are stating as being right, and just because I question it, does not mean I don't understand it or don't appreciate your input.

Being registered has some benefits too. Guy here in my city was flying over his back yard and his neighbor thought he was taking pictures of his daughter sunbathing. So said guy went and got his shotgun and blew it out of the sky. Then he called the police. Police came asked questions and arrested the guy with the shotgun. Charged him with unsafe firearm discharge, and shooting down a registered aircraft. So as long as you are following the rules, you have similar protection as a guy flying over his house in a rented 172.

Reactions: Kcobello
Ouch... Isn't that a criminal offence in a lot of countries? (shooting down an aircraft)
I doubt that was an actual charge. Also, unmanned "aircraft" and manned aircraft are to _greatly_ different things. One is a model plane... the other is not.

Me personally, I don't see the reason to register if I am flying as a hobbyist. I've been flying helicopters and quadcopters for some time now. Before I ever purchased a DJI product, I used home built race quads or bought them already built from forums then bought prebuilt ones like Walkera, ImmersionRC and the likes. Never registered with the FAA, and I don't think I ever will. So far I've been good and no one has bothered me after so many years.

Me personally, I don't see the reason to register if I am flying as a hobbyist. I've been flying helicopters and quadcopters for some time now. Before I ever purchased a DJI product, I used home built race quads or bought them already built from forums then bought prebuilt ones like Walkera, ImmersionRC and the likes. Never registered with the FAA, and I don't think I ever will. So far I've been good and no one has bothered me after so many years.

Your call - $5 may cost you a few thou if you ever run across a jerk cop or the FAA. Is it worth it to be a rebel?

Reactions: sar104
I received permission from our local airport to fly within their 5-mile zone (3.74 to be exact), but they wanted my FAA registration number first to grant it. No issue, they have been very positive each time I ask since then.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
I read through all of this. Just came here to say that I did. lol

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
@ac0j and @chazzm Yes, that's what I said. When a hobbyist registers, the FAA gives you a number that goes on the drone. That number must go on the drone. I don't see any language saying that each user must be registered. I called the AMA and the person I spoke to there said that each flyer of the drone does not be registered, only the owner needs to register it (and others can fly it). Look at it this way: A married couple buys a drone. One spouse buys the drone. His or her name is on the purchase. The other spouse and their children are all going to fly the drone. Are you saying that every person flying that drone would have to register it? That a family of four would have four FAA registration numbers and each of them would have to place his or her own number on every drone they fly, whether they own it or not? I see no language that requires, or even allows, that. One person registers the drone and puts the number on it, and anyone can fly that drone. That's what the AMA said, and that is the only logical interpretation of everything I read on the FAA website (again, for recreational/hobbyist users).

I contend that it is, in fact, about the drone and not the user (for hobbyists). If that drone crashes, the FAA wants someone to trace it back to. It's sort of analogous to cars. One person registers it, but, if your family or friends drive your car, they don't register it in their name. They must have a driver's license, but that license is like the 107 license in the drone world. There are many automobile drivers who are licensed and have no vehicles registered in their names. However, there are no vehicles that are not registered (unless the vehicles are operating illegally).

I never said that, all I said was if it’s registered to “you” someone else crashes it causing damage it’ll come back to haunt “YOU” so chill LoL

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
I never said that, all I said was if it’s registered to “you” someone else crashes it causing damage it’ll come back to haunt “YOU” so chill LoL
I registered my Phantom 4 when registration first became required. It is the owner of the drone(s) who must register. I have since purchased 2 more drones. The original FAA registration number is applied to those two drones as well. In short, they are MY responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54