DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Regional Airport denied request to fly

GastonMavic

Reactions
Just ordered my Mavic from best buy today. I decided to finally reach out to my small, single runway regional airport to make sure they wouldn't have an issue with me flying. I am roughly 2 1/2 miles away, parallel to the runway.
Checked their website and the phone number listed was outdated.
Used the AirMap application and found a working number.

I called and politely started the speech about how I was requesting to fly a UAV in my neighborhood under 300' AGL within line of site. Before I could get the sentence out he cut me off with a "nahhh ahh, I ain't taking liability for them drones." Since I am only required to notify them, can I still fly? I want to do the responsible thing but this guy just seems like he's got an issue with the hobby and isn't going to budge.

Don't know if its relevant, but the city owns the airport. The guy I spoke to was the airport manager. According to him, I could contact the state and request permission but he didn't specify who to contact.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rich Hudman
This is nonsense.
You did the right thing, but that individual does not have the authority to deny your request.
You have not included the airport name, but I would find the name of the airport operator and go that route.
If you included the airport name, it would be quite easy to discern the status of the airspace, which would solve the problem, but on the face of it, he has no jurisdiction.

Any clown who answers a phone does not have airspace authority.

Reactions: shevlin and Retoxx
Thanks for the reply, I figured that was the case.
The airport is Gastonia Municipal Airport (KAKH)
Gastonia Municipal Airport-KAKH-AOPA Airports

The gentleman I spoke with was Dennis, the airport manager. Not sure if there is anyone above him that I can contact.

I called the number you provided and talked to the same guy.
I asked him to point out any FAA reference that gives him the authority he had to deny your request.
His response was what I expected.
He has no authority.
He just doesn't want to be the name you point to if something happens. I think you have done what is required.

I should get into drone law, because dealing with these types of issues is going to get real busy until the FAA addresses these small airport, non official views of people who answer phones but have no authority.

As long as you fly within Class G airspace (the airport is probably Class E starting at 700' AGL but you would have to check and verify), then you can fly where you are having notified the manager. If he denied your activity on the specific grounds that your operation would be hazardous or dangerous to the airports operations on that day, then he may have a case, but he cannot continuously deny just because he does not like drones!

You don't have the duty to ask permission, just the duty to inform. It's completely understandable that he said "no", I probably would've done the same for the reason he gave.

I'd go with this, and thank the individual for his time, while reinforcing your desire to remain in touch.

"Airport management may not say the drone operation is approved, but all that is required is notification for drone operations to take place. If the airport says the operation may be unsafe or that they disapprove it, you should fly in another location where you do not need the airport’s approval or where the airport operator states would be acceptable

."Best Practices for Flying your Drone within Five Miles of an Airport - AOPA

Thanks for the reply, I figured that was the case.
The airport is Gastonia Municipal Airport (KAKH)
Gastonia Municipal Airport-KAKH-AOPA Airports

The gentleman I spoke with was Dennis, the airport manager. Not sure if there is anyone above him that I can contact.

Final Resolution.

Evidently, while pointing out in my phone call, (with extreme politeness), that the individual had exceeded his authority, per my earlier posts, he called the state and other authorities to get an official view.

Regarding your issue, he called me back and stated that we were correct; that he didn't have that authority, and as long as you notified them and did not operate in a careless manner, they were OK.

Glad to help, and enjoy your new hobby.

I typically call the front desk and ask for ATC. I wouldnt speak to an airport manager. I fly within 2 miles of a regional airport with no issues and even had atc asked if I was sure 400' was all I needed (he said any altitude is fine with him as long as I let him know). But being a law abiding citizen, I typically do not fly over 300' anyways.

hopefully you can talk to someone more helpful because that guy sounds downright sour.

I typically call the front desk and ask for ATC. I wouldnt speak to an airport manager. I fly within 2 miles of a regional airport with no issues and even had atc asked if I was sure 400' was all I needed (he said any altitude is fine with him as long as I let him know). But being a law abiding citizen, I typically do not fly over 300' anyways.

hopefully you can talk to someone more helpful because that guy sounds downright sour.

Most of these issues are related to airports that do not have atc, so you should speak to the airport manger.
The vast majority of airports do not have controllers.

Reactions: Retoxx and TRP
Back in the 80's I was an ATC. I still keep up with a few buddies who have made a career of it in the FAA. They all say they don't require notice unless I'm flying a drone for commercial purposes. They're mostly in upper management - for what it's worth. You'd think they know??

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Retoxx
They should worry more about other A/C, I was flying in the park today and was at 250' AGL when I heard the distinctive sound of a Copter, looked over my shoulder and here comes a civilian version of a OH-58 buzzing right at me at about 200', I didn't want to dive in front of him so I switched to sport and gave full collective and shot up to 400 as I veered away. I don't think he would have hit me but I can see the news now, "Drone strikes helicopter!!" There is a Hospital pad about 2 miles away but this wasn't a medevac bird, more like a corporate taxi.

I called the number you provided and talked to the same guy.
I asked him to point out any FAA reference that gives him the authority he had to deny your request.
His response was what I expected.
He has no authority.
He just doesn't want to be the name you point to if something happens. I think you have done what is required.

I should get into drone law, because dealing with these types of issues is going to get real busy until the FAA addresses these small airport, non official views of people who answer phones but have no authority.
Like a Boss !!

Every airport tower I've called have been understanding and tolerant. (Riverside and Chino)...they both made it pretty clear they aren't too concerned about drones below 400 feet...Riverside said not to call back again (Pest, 4th request in a month) and we fly over a field 2.5 miles west of the landing run way...Planes and Heli's stay about 500' and all is good. Historically speaking a drone has never made impact with a aircraft mid air.

KAKH.png Check me if I am wrong. If you are not a FAA Licensed pilot you can't fly within 5 miles of an airport and if you are FAA Licensed the vector map say that you can totally fly there as I believe the Class E Air space there starts at 1200 AGL and the CKAKH.png lass C you appear to be in starts above 400 AGL. Can some one else check me on that?

Reactions: Retoxx
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11