DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Regs changes in the UK - Nov update

scro

Reactions
The CAA have recently (on 05/11/20) published an update to the proposed UK regulations due to come in to force 01/01/21:

I've not identified any significant changes from the last update. Key points for me are as follows. I've restricted this to the legacy drone categories as there are no CE certified drones available yet:
  • Legacy drones (eg Mini 1 and 2) under 250g "flying weight" (not MTOM) with a camera can be flown indefinitely in the A1 category. This lets you fly in residential/commercial/recreational areas. You will need to register and get both a flyer ID and an operator ID. The only real restrictions are"no flight over assemblies of people" and respecting others privacy/safety. This is a significant change from existing rules as you can now generally fly in your back garden or at the local park if you have a sub 250g drone.
  • Legacy drones between 250g and 500g (eg mavic air 1) can be flown in A1 category until 31 Dec 22 if you complete the A2 CofC. After 31 Dec 22 such drones will only be allowed to fly in A3 category (ie 150m away from people/buildings etc)
  • Legacy drones between 500g and 2kg (eg Mavic Air 2, Mavic pro 1/2 etc) can be flown in A2 category (with the added restriction of maintaining 50m or more distance from uninvolved people) until 31 Dec 22 if you complete the A2 CofC. After 31 Dec 22, or without an A2 CofC, such drones will only be allowed to fly in A3 category.
  • Typical maximum limits of VLOS are expected to be 500m horizontally (no real change from existing rules)
  • Flying at night is OK, provided VLOS rules are adhered to (ie you have some lights on your drone you can see).

Last edited:
and of course these rules dont come into force till the first January 2021

Night flying subject to VLOS, you say?

BRB, just adding a set of strobes to my Black Friday shopping list... ;)

Reactions: scro
Not me saying it, the CAA saying it. ?

Yeah, basically so long as you can maintain VLOS and can see the surroundings well enough to maintain a safe flight/avoid and be avoided.

The Mini2 is possibly enough under the 250g limit to fit a couple of strobes. The mini1 has less leeway.

Reactions: Lastrexking
Awesome! Thanks for sharing buddy! I'm going to get my finger out and get the A2 CofC done pronto!

?

I'm a brand new DJI Mini 2 owner in London where currently there's almost nowhere to legally fly (only Richmond Park that I know of).

So I'm really looking forward to the 1st Jan and a new world of (sub 250g) freedom.
However I'm still quite unclear on where I will actually be allowed to fly the drone.

Not over crowds (obvs) and of course always being safe (so no flying down a busy high street).
But from my London garden is fine (as long as I'm not peering into the neighbors bedroom and mainting LoS)?
And from a quiet suburban street?

Presumably geo-fenced no-fly zones (such as central London) and local bye-laws still apply?
So that may or may not allow flying in the local park.

Hopefully there will be clearer guidance closer to the time.

Thanks for the info I think I can go ahead. Early evening open country obeying the CAA code . I will still be within what is called nautical twilight. I have just purchased a strobe light I need to try it out first to see what effect it has on the video.

Thanks for the info I think I can go ahead. Early evening open country obeying the CAA code . I will still be within what is called nautical twilight. I have just purchased a strobe light I need to try it out first to see what effect it has on the video.

Keep in mind that stobes don't *need* to face forwards. Ideally, you'd want them pointing directly away from the drone (e.g. out along the arms), or even backwards depending on the flight profile, so that any noise pollution on images/video is minimised. The idea is to let the drone be seen by yourself and others, not illuminate the way - unless you actually are trying to use them as head lights, of course, in which case, there are probably better lighting accessories anyway.

Regardless of their orientation, if you do need to look away to adjust a setting or something, then hover the drone while you do so (ideally over a "landmark" like a tree or similar) and then you can always spin it slowly on the spot. All you need do then is look for the flashes in the area where you left it "parked" as they'll inevitably end up pointing directly towards you and regain VLOS that way.

Useful info thanks especially the parking over a landmark bit.

Talking of landmarks, there's provision to go above 120m height in the new regs! But... only to fly at a maximum of 15m above the obstacle (eg a building/tower) and then only if the "person in charge of the obstacle has requested you to do this". You also need to maintain 50m or less horizontal distance from the obstacle.

This is positive news for all the folk who wish to fly out of there gardens for a flight ........like myself who is a proud owner of a lovely new Mavic Mini 2 , but are doing it in a manner that DOES respect Neighbors privacy and act responsibly. I expect that data protection laws now fall into place in January 2021 and therefore things like Subject Access Requests may be more common as those worried about there privacy may request any information IE Images they think "May" have been taken by very few bad eggs that seem to tarnish the hobby culture we enjoy. I for one cannot wait to be able to legally fly out my garden without the 50m rule for people or buildings . Common sense finally has prevailed regarding risk management . I for one a looking forward to the 1st January . A happy new year indeed.Thumbswayup:)

What are the requirements under the subcategories of the ‘open’ category?​

TRENDING

According to the class identification label of the drone or the weight, in the case of privately built drones, they can be operated in different conditions as described below:
Drones bearing a CE class 0 mark or that are privately built and weigh up to 250 g can fly in subcategory A1, which means almost everywhere, except over assemblies of people, or areas that the state has forbidden by imposing a restriction on the flight of drones (please consult the website of your National Aviation Authority. See Drones - National Aviation Authorities | EASA ).
Open category -Subcategory A1

Drones bearing a class identification label 1 can also be operated in subcategory A1 with the difference that you are required to minimise flying over uninvolved people.

Last edited:
At least the certification charges are somewhat saner than the old PfCO ripoff.

I've had a reply from Tim at UAV Hub:
"The 120m distance is from CAP 1789 under C0 aircraft, whilst this specifically talks about C0 aircraft we imagine it will apply to all sub 250g aircraft. "

The relevant section:
Class C0 - (can be flown in all subcategories) Very small unmanned aircraft, including toys, that:
▪ are less than 250g maximum take-off mass
▪ have a maximum speed of 19m/s (approx. 42.5 mph)
▪ are unable to be flown more than 120m (400ft) from the controlling device

Since the DJI Mini is not technically C0 but rather a legacy class I'm not sure that's correct. You would think there would be clear reference to a max distance in the other sections of the regulations.

Seems as though the DJI mini 2 might be perfectly timed as a legacy drone whereas future C0 drones will have to be more limited.

Tim also makes the point that all the regs are clear on unaided VLOS being required - and it's certainly arguable that a drone the size of the mini isn't clearly visible beyond a few 100m (though 120 seems short).

Hopefully this will become clearer when we get to 2021.

Just checked and you are right, @nathankw CAP1789 (published June 20) quite clearly states the distance limit is "120m from the controlling device" for C0 devices. I was looking everywhere for it in CAP722 and couldn't find it - I knew I'd read somewhere that the distance was limited to 120m.

The C0 definitions provided in CAP722 (published 5th Nov 20) have been reworded slightly and specifically refer to height, rather than distance:

Class C0 - (can be flown in all subcategories) Very small unmanned aircraft, including toys, that:
  • are less than 250g maximum take-off mass
  • have a maximum speed of 19m/s (approx. 42.5 mph)
  • are unable to be flown more than 120m (400ft) above the take-off point
It certainly looks like this wording has been amended for class C0 aircraft in the more recent CAP. I'm also of the view that the Mini1 and 2 are not C0 drones and therefore not be subject to the 120m distance from controlling device limit, even if it did exist. CAP1789 only mentions this limit in the C0 definition and not in any of the legacy drone definitions.

Last edited:
i also have had a phone conversation today with UAVHUB on this very subject
and my take on it is this ,
the 120m distance from the controlling device will apply to drones that fall under the C0 or C1 classifications when they become available and as part of meeting the C0 or C1 rating they will be geofenced at 120m distance so you will be flying in a 120m max height and 120m max distance cylinder
with you in the middle, this will mean that regardless of whether you move from the original take off point or not that recorded point will be what defines the 120m

Many thanks to both of you for requesting and posting the info.... It all seems very vague at the moment doesn't it. I hope in the very near future we will have an rock solid ruling on flying or minis 1 and 2 under the legacy and this 120m distance thing.

Reactions: old man mavic
@old man mavic I wonder if the person you spoke to at UAVHUB was familiar with the recently published Edition 8 of CAP722? It would seem that CAP722 bears more weight than CAP1789:
  • CAP722 is "the primary guidance document for the operation of unmanned aircraft systems within the UK"
  • CAP1789 is "... a simple explanation of the general intent behind the key parts of the regulations..."

That's the descriptions of the documents taken straight from the CAA website.

Many thanks to both of you for requesting and posting the info.... It all seems very vague at the moment doesn't it. I hope in the very near future we will have an rock solid ruling on flying or minis 1 and 2 under the legacy and this 120m distance thing.

+1 on thanks for the extra info, but also on the general vagueness, unfortunately. It seems like it's more a WIP at the CAA at present and the drip feed of information is to get an informal sense of how well the various parties that the new regs impact react to the proposals. IMO, while it is a little frustrating and especially so for those holding off on getting a PfCO, this is actually a good approach given they are balancing UAV operators needs (especially those looking at BVLOS commercial operations) against airlines and and pilots that, quite rightly, don't want drones anywhere near their aircraft.

On that front, and compared to what some other countries are doing, I'm actually feeling a lot better about the CAA's position on this as time goes on, new rules get added, and other points get clarified. The regulations as stand seem quite sensible to me, affording a quite reasonable amount of latitude in where and when we can fly while taking both public safety and improvements in drone technology into account. They also open the door for pilots that need to be able fly in restricted airspace to gain the necessary competencies and waivers, although it remains to be seen how easy/expensive that will be. Hopefully I'll still be as upbeat about that when they get finalised and come into force!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike