DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Regs changes in the UK - Nov update

@old man mavic I wonder if the person you spoke to at UAVHUB was familiar with the recently published Edition 8 of CAP722? It would seem that CAP722 bears more weight than CAP1789:
  • CAP722 is "the primary guidance document for the operation of unmanned aircraft systems within the UK"
  • CAP1789 is "... a simple explanation of the general intent behind the key parts of the regulations..."

That's the descriptions of the documents taken straight from the CAA website.
i know what you are saying their does seem to be a difference between the two ,and i also think that its to early to really be specific about what the rules will end up being, and exactly how much of the EASA rules will be adopted at the end of the day,as far as the new C marked drones are concerned

Reactions: scro
Emailed the CAA on the address provided in the CAP722 document for enquiries. Lets see what they come back with! :)

Reactions: old man mavic
Emailed the CAA on the address provided in the CAP722 document for enquiries. Lets see what they come back with! :)
i look forwards to your report on what they say on the subject

I too, look forward to their response. It may take "up to 28 working days" so we might just find out some time next year... patience ?

I'll post up what response I get?

So the 50m rule & 150m over built up areas doesn’t come in to play of you are a Mini owner & I can launch from my garden

Last edited:
So the 50m rule & 150m over built up areas doesn’t come in to play of you are a Mini owner & I can launch from my garden
The A1 category has removed specific distances away from buildings/people so that means you will probably be able to fly in your garden come 1 Jan 21 (assuming you don't live in a NFZ). Do remember that the onus is on you, as the pilot, not to endanger other people and to respect their privacy and this will still mean keeping a reasonable distance away from them and their houses/cars etc.

Reactions: Kernow666
The A1 category has removed specific distances away from buildings/people so that means you will probably be able to fly in your garden come 1 Jan 21 (assuming you don't live in a NFZ). Do remember that the onus is on you, as the pilot, not to endanger other people and to respect their privacy and this will still mean keeping a reasonable distance away from them and their houses/cars etc.
Thank you

I have always flown responsibly and will continue to do so

In my view, until 01/01/2021 arrives, nothing is cast in stone. Have a read of this: Brexit | UK Civil Aviation Authority

It is perfectly feasable at the stroke of mid-night CAP 522 could go into the paper shredder and that'll be the end of that. On the other hand both pilots and training organisations have invested a great deal to prepare for 01/01/21. Approved training establishments have been granted authority and status of RAE by the CAA. In that light to pull anything would be an insult to say the least.

See what you guys think ;-)

What is CAP 522? Did you mean CAP 722 perhaps?

Given that CAP 722 Ed 8 has very recently been published and explicitly states that the proposed new EU regulations will be incorporated into UK legislation I think it is extremely likely to happen now. It's not 100% guaranteed, as you say, but very close to 100%.

Agreed on nothing set in stone (I even made the point it seems like a WIP above), but the CAA *has* committed to adopting the EASA regulations into UK law, and I believe this has been in effect signed off by Parliament when we transferred EU laws on to the UK's statue books as-is. Quite how this will work in terms of cross-border acceptance of any certifications and enforcement etc. post Brexit (even within the EU) is perhaps a little vague, but the basic standardisation of drone classification and when/where we can fly should be harmonised across the EU+UK, and as things stand the UK government seems OK with that.

Nothing to stop the UK government changing its mind, of course, but while they've got other things on their mind - namely Brexit itself, Covid-19, economic recovery, and arranging trade deals - I think it's pretty safe to say doing that would be pretty low on the pecking order. Still, they've got six weeks left to mess it all up for us, so I'm definitely not counting my chickens just yet either!

What is CAP 522? Did you mean CAP 722 perhaps?

Given that CAP 722 Ed 8 has very recently been published and explicitly states that the proposed new EU regulations will be incorporated into UK legislation I think it is extremely likely to happen now. It's not 100% guaranteed, as you say, but very close to 100%.
My bad it is CAP 722. Thanks ;-)

Hi All, as far as I can see, the new EASA regulations come into force from 31/12 2020 at midnight. Firstly I actually thought that we had left the EU...thats another story...However I cant find anything on the CAA website.

Hi All, as far as I can see, the new EASA regulations come into force from 31/12 2020 at midnight. Firstly I actually thought that we had left the EU...thats another story...However I cant find anything on the CAA website.
See the link in post #1 of this thread. That takes you right to the relevant publication on the CAA website. Its not the EASA regs that come in to force on 31/12/20 in the UK, it is UK specific legislation, that has been adopted from the EASA proposed legislation. Extremely similar, but technically different.

Have a look at the web sites for Heliguy and UAVAcademy. They both have pretty good plain language explanations on what it all means.

See the link in post #1 of this thread. That takes you right to the relevant publication on the CAA website. Its not the EASA regs that come in to force on 31/12/20 in the UK, it is UK specific legislation, that has been adopted from the EASA proposed legislation. Extremely similar, but technically different.
Thats a Hell of a Document........thanks.....lolol.

• Haha
Indeed, it's a pretty heavyweight read and takes a little bit of time to find the sections of interest.?

That document is just the guidance document and not the actual legislation text itself!!! I think I'll give reading that a miss??

It seems to be that...Mavic Air 2 under 25kg but over 250 grams....provided I am already registered...which I am...then I basically continue under the present system until they decide if they will classify the aircraft or unless I wish to 'fly a little closer' sometimes...which I dont.

It seems to be that...Mavic Air 2 under 25kg but over 250 grams....provided I am already registered...which I am...then I basically continue under the present system until they decide if they will classify the aircraft or unless I wish to 'fly a little closer' sometimes...which I dont.
That's my understanding too for the MA2 - no real change compared to current rules.? FYI I don't think the classification system is designed for retrospective application to existing models - just new releases.

The current rules are fine for if you fly out in the open, away from people/buildings and have relatively easy access to such areas.

Had the MA2 been just 72g lighter and you had completed the A2CofC you could've flown in the A1 category until 1 Jan 23, if you so wished. That would allow for flying at the local park, in your back garden, at the local playing fields etc, which the current rules generally don't allow.

FYI I don't think the classification system is designed for retrospective application to existing models - just new releases.

My take too. I'm working under the assumption that ALL current drones are going to enter the Legacy classification at some point and I'm possibly going to need to replace my M2P as a result, but until this is 100% finalised there is still some wiggle room as to exactly what that will mean in terms of restrictions and when it will come into force. There is also a possibility that the CAA might decide that given models - especially the more popular ones like DJI's - might be grandfathered into one of the classifications without the necessary marking, although they are certainly not obliged to do this as the law is current written.

What I'm not clear on is whether or not it's even possible for a drone to get the classification mark yet, either in the UK or the EU; AFAIK, no drone currently on the market has one, and I'm not sure that if a new drone were to be released tomorrow it would be able to ship with one either. I can't imagine that manufacturers are going to be particularly keen on releasing newer models of higher-end drones without one given that clueful buyers are unlikely to want an aircraft that will become Legacy less than a year after purchase. Some more clarity on this (and some product annoucements!) would be just as welcome as updates to the operational requirements, IMHO.

Just to throw a curve ball into the coversation so far:

This was posted by a member on the dji forum

Translation:

Possibility of assigning “old” drones classes compliant with EU standards​

We would like to kindly inform you that the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) has informed the national aviation authorities that after December 31, 2020, it will be possible to convert unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) already placed on the market into UAVs marked with classes in accordance with the Commission Delegated Regulation ( EU) 2019/945 of 12 March 2019 on unmanned aircraft systems and third country operators of unmanned aircraft systems.

The conversion will be based on the principles described in the Commission notice " Blue Guide - Implementing EU Product Regulations 2016" available at: EUR-Lex - 52016XC0726(02) - EN - EUR-Lex

EASA describes two conversion options:

1. modernization by the manufacturer by recalling products, updating hardware or software as part of the production control procedure, assigning a new serial number, affixing a class identification label, issuing a new CE declaration.
  2. end- user software update by owner software update under full manufacturer control, manufacturer sending new CE declaration, class identification label and new serial number plate to owner, and owner affixing class identification label and new serial number plate to BSP.
Please note that it is the manufacturer who implements measures to ensure that the BSP conversion process will ensure that the BSP complies with the provisions of Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2019/945.

1606154561572.png

Reactions: zocalo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett