DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Regs changes in the UK - Nov update

Theres nothing to suggest (i) its possible to reclassify and (ii) why they'd bother.

Far better to release and sell new products.

Maybe something like Inspire might be worth investing in *IF* its even possible but certainly no other.

All the current drones will have a successor product within the next 2 years. These will be classified. Theres no business rationale for spending the money to even try to certify the current consumer range even if it is possible.
The EASA is supposedly looking into the possibility of grandfathering in some current models of drone. The idea is that owners will need to get their vendor to send them the appropriate CE marking sticker, which they can then affix to the drone. *Assuming* that plan goes ahead, then it's going to be a decision that'll likely be made on a model-by-model basis by the vendors, a reasonable handling charge to cover costs wouldn't be unreasonable, so it'll depend on whether they think the greater benefit lies in hoping to sell more new drones with the CE marking now or fostering some goodwill and positive PR that will likely pay off later in customer loyalty and word of mouth marketing. After all the anti-DJI rhetoric of late, I'd be more than a little shocked if DJI had the option to do this but didn't take it up on their more popular and expensive models at least.

That's also where it might get messy for UK pilots and for the CAA. While I think the CAA would likely go along with it if the scheme actually did get up and running, the CAA is no longer obliged to follow everything the EASA does and might not actually do so. In that case, assuming I have an eligible drone for getting the sticker, it becomes a question of whether or not I can get a sticker anyway should I want to travel to the EU with the intention of flying my drone there - and I'd absolutely want to do that. That then puts the CAA in a bind; how do they manage and enforce regulations without causing confusion when they potentially have UK pilots and visitors from elsewhere with drones bearing a totally valid CE marking but are non-the-less still classed as legacy in the UK?

I can only hope that all this will work itself out while it's still largely immaterial due to Covid lockdowns and other travel restrictions. Or DJI ships the M3P in a timely manner with that necessary CE marking, I can make that work too, but I'd still like a sticker for my M2P for use as a backup or in more hostile environments.

Theres nothing to suggest (i) its possible to reclassify and (ii) why they'd bother.

Far better to release and sell new products.

Maybe something like Inspire might be worth investing in *IF* its even possible but certainly no other.

All the current drones will have a successor product within the next 2 years. These will be classified. Theres no business rationale for spending the money to even try to certify the current consumer range even if it is possible.
It would not be re-classification. if you refer to existing drones already purchased then that would retrospective which they have unfortunately said they won't do.. (Its unfortunate because those with Mavic Pro 2's such as myself fall into A3 as a legacy. the classification on Mavic 2 when it occurs will be A2

Existing drones currently being sold are not done so with classification they just fall into one of the new bands. by 2022 all drones sold will need to classified i.e. marked at point of sale with the classification.

DJI will not refresh the entire product suit in that time we will at best see 2 new drones in that timeline? and unlikely one that will replace the mini 2 given it was released in November it still has plenty of life left in it.

To be honest we don't know what the future holds do we. this could all change, perhaps a complete u turn retrospective who knows? Im just not taking the risk and putting a legacy lightweight in my bag now on the off chance it becomes very difficult to do it later.

Yes I know, but DJI will at some point classify the existing lineup between now and 2022 which will be based on take off mass rather than weight which will take it beyond 250g
I'm not sure they will, particularly in the case of the Mini. Why would they want to move it into a more restrictive class? In a Q&A session in 2020, the CAA said this:

Can an existing UAS be ‘retrospectively marked’ with a ‘C’ Class from 31 December 2020 (e.g. will my 3kg drone will become a ‘C2 Class’ aircraft)?

No, this is completely wrong! The ‘CE’ Class markings do not work retrospectively. So, a current 3kg aircraft, for example, will never become a C2 model; it will only ever be ‘a legacy unmanned aircraft that weighs 3kg’. In the same fashion, a
current 800g aircraft will not become a C1 model; it is just ‘a legacy unmanned aircraft that weighs 800g’.

In order to be given a particular Class marking, the aircraft must have been designed and manufactured to the relevant standards of that class marking. The only way you can get an aircraft with a ‘CE class marking’ is to buy one that has this
marking.

I am holding off purchasing a mini 2 because as of right now with being on lockdown in the UK i wont be able to use it and dont want to waste the guarantee.

However i was watching a you tube video last night and someone was explaining the new rules and he said something like.....if you buy the mini 2 now before they get shipped with classification then you will be able to fly the drone even after 2023 with the current new rules. but if it comes with the new classification then something changes and the rules change after 2023. Does this make sense to anyone and if so what does he mean? and should i buy one now ?

Reactions: old man mavic
@Chris_35 ,the new c class drones ,will have a special low speed mode which will be activated by a switch on the RC ,and this will enable them to be flown as close as 5m from uninvolved people and 30m over them ,instead of the current 50m ,there will also be the one to one rule ,so that will mean that at 5m from someone will mean you will have to stay no more than 5m high as well ,so if you were flying at 20m high then you could not fly any closer to uninvolved people than 20m

@Chris_35 ,the new c class drones ,will have a special low speed mode which will be activated by a switch on the RC ,and this will enable them to be flown as close as 5m from uninvolved people and 30m over them ,instead of the current 50m ,there will also be the one to one rule ,so that will mean that at 5m from someone will mean you will have to stay no more than 5m high as well ,so if you were flying at 20m high then you could not fly any closer to uninvolved people than 20m
@old man mavic (love the name by the way) So i will be ok holding off for a few weeks then before buying as it wont really affect anything?

I am holding off purchasing a mini 2 because as of right now with being on lockdown in the UK i wont be able to use it and dont want to waste the guarantee.

However i was watching a you tube video last night and someone was explaining the new rules and he said something like.....if you buy the mini 2 now before they get shipped with classification then you will be able to fly the drone even after 2023 with the current new rules. but if it comes with the new classification then something changes and the rules change after 2023. Does this make sense to anyone and if so what does he mean? and should i buy one now ?
What I think this means is that at some point DJI might stop selling their current legacy drones and replace them with certified drones that in some ways might be restricted compared to the current status.

However it's extremely unlikely they're going to withdraw the Mini 2 any time soon - it's only been out a few months after all. They're legally allowed to keep selling legacy drone until the end of 2022 so I don't think there's any risk in waiting a few months.

Reactions: maelstrom
It's also highly unlikely that any current drone will be reclassified to comply with the new rules. Repeating what was said in another thread, in a Q&A session last year, the CAA said:

"Can an existing UAS be ‘retrospectively marked’ with a ‘C’ Class from 31 December 2020 (e.g. will my 3kg drone will become a ‘C2 Class’ aircraft)?

No, this is completely wrong! The ‘CE’ Class markings do not work retrospectively. So, a current 3kg aircraft, for example, will never become a C2 model; it will only ever be ‘a legacy unmanned aircraft that weighs 3kg’. In the same fashion, a current 800g aircraft will not become a C1 model; it is just ‘a legacy unmanned aircraft that weighs 800g’.

In order to be given a particular Class marking, the aircraft must have been designed and manufactured to the relevant standards of that class marking. The only way you can get an aircraft with a ‘CE class marking’ is to buy one that has this
marking."

I think a fair solution for those that bought a MA2 would be to allow them to pay to upgrade to the A2S. Doubt it will happen tho :-(

The Mini 2 doesn’t lose its ability to fly in the A1 subcategory after the transitional period ends at the end of 2022. So it effectively is the same as a C0 drone in all but name.

I have registered and obtained my flyer and operator ID and currently own a mavic mini

So my understanding is that I can now use that in my garden obviously respecting privacy of neighbours

I intend to get the air 2s. Can I use that in A3 cat without the A2 certificate of competence. I am in the process of completing that course but can I use the air 2 inA3 without the certificate

I have registered and obtained my flyer and operator ID and currently own a mavic mini

So my understanding is that I can now use that in my garden obviously respecting privacy of neighbours

I intend to get the air 2s. Can I use that in A3 cat without the A2 certificate of competence. I am in the process of completing that course but can I use the air 2 inA3 without the certificate

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada