DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Regs changes in the UK - Nov update

So, can a M2 achieve 72kph into a 5kph headwind?

Or, like the mini1, its max groundspeed is limited if flying into a headwind?
The mini 1 is *not* limited when flying into a headwind unless the headwind is so strong it cant cope.
And the M2 (and M1 for that matter) is perfectly capable of maintaining its P-GPS speed when flying into a tiny 5km/h headwind yes.

The mini 1 is *not* limited when flying into a headwind unless the headwind is so strong it cant cope.
And the M2 (and M1 for that matter) is perfectly capable of maintaining its P-GPS speed when flying into a tiny 5km/h headwind yes.
So, for the 3rd time, can a M2 achieve 72kph into a 5kph headwind?

Your explanations about how P-GPS works are correct and I'm not trying to dispute that - I totally agree with you on how the mode works with respect to speed and how wind affects it. However, in post #115 the discussion turned to maximum speeds and how this relates to regulations so the relevant flight mode to consider is sport mode since that allows the drone to reach its maximum speed. For the Mini1 even a small amount of wind DOES affect its maximum (ground) speed, you indirectly acknowledge this too when you say "The mini 1 is *not* limited when flying into a headwind unless the headwind is so strong it cant cope." I suspect the larger mavics' maximum speed (ie sport mode maximum) is affected by even light wind too, hence the question above.

Reactions: dulcificum
To quote Phil Collins "I can feel it coming in the air tonight" !!! anyone out there excited ? Responsibly that is !

Reactions: scro
i dont know how this thread suddenly changed from the new regs to maximum speeds etc as @scro said, but yes it will be great to take advantage of the new regs tomorrow

Yes I thought it went a it topsy-turvy turvy for a while too ! All the best to you OMM and the very best to all else ....... praying for decent weather also but will be working nights until 5th jan so a long way off yet .

Reactions: old man mavic
Just taken my first flight under the new rules - at a NW London Park just a few minutes walk from my house.
Previously the nearest legal flying place was at least a 20 min cycle ride away!

Completely safe - no one was bothered. With the tiny Mini 2 not sure anyone even noticed!

Hurrah to a great new world of flying!

DJi Mini2.jpg

Reactions: scro
Just taken my first flight under the new rules - at a NW London Park just a few minutes walk from my house.
Previously the nearest legal flying place was at least a 20 min cycle ride away!

Completely safe - no one was bothered. With the tiny Mini 2 not sure anyone even noticed!

Hurrah to a great new world of flying!

View attachment 120495
This is exactly the kind of flying I'm looking fwd to?

Sensible, safe and unobtrusive flying nearer to home.

Great info thank you! Mavic 2 pro for a couple of years so somewhat a little frustrated with the new regs. I understand restrictions are required but this seems a step further I would like. Just ordered a Mini 2 however which perhaps a little better for travel (Assuming we get to again lol!) and better to get one now before classification hits drones.

Just ordered a Mini 2 however which perhaps a little better for travel (Assuming we get to again lol!) and better to get one now before classification hits drones.
Unless the regulations change significantly, the Mini (1 and 2) will always be classed as a legacy drone, so will not be subject to the time-limited rules which apply to the heavier drones.

Unless the regulations change significantly, the Mini (1 and 2) will always be classed as a legacy drone, so will not be subject to the time-limited rules which apply to the heavier drones.

Its all about the drone weight vs take off mass. Skip to 18 minutes on the Vid

Every single drone you can buy today is legacy.
The only question is will it fit into A1 legacy or A2/A3 legacy and that depends on mass.

Every single drone you can buy today is legacy.
The only question is will it fit into A1 legacy or A2/A3 legacy and that depends on mass.
Yes I know, but DJI will at some point classify the existing lineup between now and 2022 which will be based on take off mass rather than weight which will take it beyond 250g

Hence the purchase now rather than later after they classify (They will have to if they wish to continue selling in the uk)

Its explained better on the video just jump to 18 minutes

Yes I know, but DJI will at some point classify the existing lineup between now and 2022 which will be based on take off mass rather than weight which will take it beyond 250g
Theres nothing to suggest (i) its possible to reclassify and (ii) why they'd bother.

Far better to release and sell new products.

Maybe something like Inspire might be worth investing in *IF* its even possible but certainly no other.

All the current drones will have a successor product within the next 2 years. These will be classified. Theres no business rationale for spending the money to even try to certify the current consumer range even if it is possible.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica