DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Regular or RE

I just have one question. Are the goggles worth the money you spent? Would you spend the money again?

Thanks Mikie
ps I heard DJI will announce at the CES conference a new product.

Are the goggles worth the money you spent? Would you spend the money again?
I own most of the goggles/glasses that are commonly used with DJI products. The DJI Goggles are my favorite picture-wise. The only thing I don't like about them is the size/weight. It's a worthwhile trade-off for the better picture though.

I own most of the goggles/glasses that are commonly used with DJI products. The DJI Goggles are my favorite picture-wise. The only thing I don't like about them is the size/weight. It's a worthwhile trade-off for the better picture though.
If you had to chose between the goggles and a crystal sky (for general flying/photography; not racing), which would you chose, and why?

If you had to chose between the goggles and a crystal sky (for general flying/photography; not racing), which would you chose, and why?
If I could only buy one? I'd buy a CrystalSky.

When I'm shooting photos, I'm generally flying around a lot of obstacles. The DJI Goggles are a better fit for flying in locations where there aren't a lot of obstacles (since you can only see what's ahead of the Mavic).

Reactions: chazzm
Thanks for the input. I see the advantage of any screen if you're within 50' of the Mavic. But if you're photographing some distance away (say 1km), around obstacles, and can't see the Mavic's orientation, other than by using the screen, wouldn't that be the same as using the goggles?
Is the full slate of telemetry/map info available on the goggle screen?

Definitely the CrystalSky. Goggles are more for aerial viewing and experiencing the flight while actually flying, while the CrystalSky allows you to watch the drone and the camera input at the same time to get the shot you need.

if you're photographing some distance away (say 1km), around obstacles, and can't see the Mavic's orientation, other than by using the screen, wouldn't that be the same as using the goggles?
If you're flying beyond VLOS, then there would likely be no advantage to using the CrystalSky. It'll be easier to see what you're shooting too with the DJI Goggles.

Thanks for the input. I see the advantage of any screen if you're within 50' of the Mavic. But if you're photographing some distance away (say 1km), around obstacles, and can't see the Mavic's orientation, other than by using the screen, wouldn't that be the same as using the goggles?
Is the full slate of telemetry/map info available on the goggle screen?
Yes, but crucial battery information is missing. You see the battery percentage but can't easily gauge if it is sufficient to return home, unless you are an experienced flyer. Not only that but camera settings are not as easily adjusted in the goggles as they are on the App.

Reactions: Clinton1
Yes, but crucial battery information is missing. You see the battery percentage but can't easily gauge if it is sufficient to return home, unless you are an experienced flyer. Not only that but camera settings are not as easily adjusted in the goggles as they are on the App.
Nothing's ever easy lol. Is it possible to have a phone connected to the R/C, running the Go4 app at the same time as using the Goggles? 90 percent of the time, the only adjustment for photography I make "on the fly" is exposure compensation, and I can do that without looking.

Nothing's ever easy lol. Is it possible to have a phone connected to the R/C, running the Go4 app at the same time as using the Goggles? 90 percent of the time, the only adjustment for photography I make "on the fly" is exposure compensation, and I can do that without looking.
Yes.

Reactions: Cyberpower678
It sounds like you're grasping at straws now ;)
I certainly respect both of your experience driven opinions. But, given the kind of photography I do, so long as the Mavic's R/C screen, and also that of the Wunderphone is available on demand, it sure seems like the goggles afford you the best view of what you're shooting, even on extremely bright days. This morning I was ready to pull the trigger on the UB Crystalsky; now I'm leaning goggles again.

I certainly respect both of your experience driven opinions. But, given the kind of photography I do, so long as the Mavic's R/C screen, and also that of the Wunderphone is available on demand, it sure seems like the goggles afford you the best view of what you're shooting, even on extremely bright days. This morning I was ready to pull the trigger on the UB Crystalsky; now I'm leaning goggles again.
No, the Goggles are indeed great for great viewing on the distance, but you can definitely see it just as nicely on a CrystalSky and affords you more control in my opinion.

No, the Goggles are indeed great for great viewing on the distance, but you can definitely see it just as nicely on a CrystalSky and affords you more control in my opinion.
I can rent the goggles for a few days to try, but not the Crystalsky (unless I buy one on Amazon Prime, and return it if it doesn't work for me). I do shoot some ski race video while on skis. Goggles definitely would not work there.

I can rent the goggles for a few days to try, but not the Crystalsky (unless I buy one on Amazon Prime, and return it if it doesn't work for me). I do shoot some ski race video while on skis. Goggles definitely would not work there.
I'm trying to picture someone actually doing that. :D In any event I own the Goggles, Goggles RE, and the 7.85" UB CrystalSky. I can definitely the CS is the way to go especially since it's a dedicated device where you can manage your drone content, hot swap batteries, and always see the display in any weather environment. The goggles don't do so hot in colder environments like the CS does.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimbod