DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Reluctant to fly over water?

mereflyer

Reactions

A Simple Solution to a very big Problem! (Total loss of drone when over water)

DIY from readily available 3' x 3.5"swimming noodles (In Australia, other Countries?)

An idea worth considering if you are flying your drone over water!

Simplicity, safety, easy to make and install.

The floats only weigh 63 grams including the 8 No 64 rubber bands.

Flotation test in Town supply water leaves camera around 3" above water level.

Probably only suitable for calm water, have not tried this yet!

Appears to make very little discernible difference to flight controls or stability.

May decrease overall flying time. More testing needed.

Some drag could be reduced by rounding front and rear ends of floats.

Enjoy, but only at your own risk!

Pictures tell the story better than words.
DSCN2751.JPGDSCN2752.JPGDSCN2753.JPGDSCN2754.JPGDSCN2756.JPGDSCN2760.JPGDSCN2768.JPGDSCN2769.JPGDSCN2771.JPG
Feed back appreciated!

Maybe safe yourself some time testing by using our search function . This has been tested more times than I can remember .

Reactions: kidroc and Thomas B
This is about saving valuable drones!

Anyway how do you get to it once it's in the water and many meters from shore, it will just float away taken by the current ?
Best not take the risk if your worried about loosing it

Maybe safe yourself some time testing by using our search function . This has been tested more times than I can remember .
For more years than I can remember as well, but hey..... guess we all start somewhere. Just when you think of something inventive...you do a patent search:p

Reactions: dirkclod
I think there is still roughly the same risk. Drones rarely fall feet down and crashes happen when flying, not hovering...usually. Contact with a tree causes a tumble, flying horizontally and contacting the water causes a tumble.

And, if you get lucky enough that you do land on your feet, you still have a recovery problem.

For more years than I can remember as well, but hey..... guess we all start somewhere. Just when you think of something inventive...you do a patent search:p
Lol yeah. This will wake Coal up and show him an alternative to those pretty soon I’m sure ?

This is about saving valuable drones!
I almost went that way but I have seen other videos of them tipping over to easily.

That is the reason why I went with Coal's model.
IMG_20200716_154032.jpg

Reactions: dirkclod

A Simple Solution to a very big Problem! (Total loss of drone when over water)

DIY from readily available 3' x 3.5"swimming noodles (In Australia, other Countries?)

An idea worth considering if you are flying your drone over water!

Simplicity, safety, easy to make and install.

The floats only weigh 63 grams including the 8 No 64 rubber bands.

Flotation test in Town supply water leaves camera around 3" above water level.

Probably only suitable for calm water, have not tried this yet!

Appears to make very little discernible difference to flight controls or stability.

May decrease overall flying time. More testing needed.

Some drag could be reduced by rounding front and rear ends of floats.

Enjoy, but only at your own risk!

Pictures tell the story better than words.
View attachment 123638View attachment 123639View attachment 123640View attachment 123641View attachment 123642View attachment 123643View attachment 123644View attachment 123645View attachment 123646
Feed back appreciated!
Here is a very thorough review of pretty much all of the available water options

Anyway how do you get to it once it's in the water and many meters from shore, it will just float away taken by the current ?
Best not take the risk if your worried about loosing it
I was just thinking the same thing. I fly over Scottish lochs and over the sea, I'd need a boat with me to go get it lol

Reactions: BossBob
I was just thinking the same thing. I fly over Scottish lochs and over the sea, I'd need a boat with me to go get it lol
I recommend the two drone system...second drone with a drop system for your fishing line to reel it in. If not second drone with releasable grapple hook to drag her back to shore line. Then again I have never felt the need to go over water, DJI doesn't condone it and if I am doing it I am going fast enough to get to the other side :p

Reactions: Drumsagard
I recommend the two drone system...second drone with a drop system for your fishing line to reel it in. If not second drone with releasable grapple hook to drag her back to shore line. Then again I have never felt the need to go over water, DJI doesn't condone it and if I am doing it I am going fast enough to get to the other side :p
If I didn't fly over water I wouldn't get much flying done lol

I too get still get nervous flying over water... and I've been flying drones since 2013, flying R/C for 40+ years...

If I am flying extensively over water, I attach one of these "Getter Back" devices. Designed for fishing gear, they have obviously picked up on the UAS market, new packaging, possibly new mount - and of course almost double the price since they first came out. Still a viable solution to recovery if not too deep, but obviously won't save your drone from a dunk.

HERE is basically your idea, in a kit form on Amazon.

I fly over still & rough water regularly. Have not invested in any floatation kits (yet). What’s the general opinion on the best option for rough water?
Fresh or Salt water? One will make your drone recoverable even in a tip over, the other you got maybe a 50-50 chance. The longer you are submerged/flipped inverted the more damage in Salt Water.

Reactions: AZDave
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe