DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID - FAA Fail. Why it's bad and how YOU can help.

zeeeegerman

Reactions
Hey all,

perhaps the most important Video to the drone/quadcopter community was published on our channel. Please check it out:

There are timecodes in the description if you don't have time to watch the whole thing.

Cheers,

No and I moved it to general section with the rest of
the treads concerning this.
Thanks Dirk! Wasn't sure how to move it after the fact.

Reactions: dirkclod
Hey all,

perhaps the most important Video to the drone/quadcopter community was published on our channel. Please check it out:

There are timecodes in the description if you don't have time to watch the whole thing.

Cheers,

I'm willing to bet that a drone with Standard Remote ID will run 20-Grand or more, plus insurance and other fees. More than likely Joey Consumer will be flying Limited Remote ID and even that will be expensive.

Also, you probably won't be flying higher than 200-feet because that space will be reserved for high-speed delivery drones that have Standard ID..

I'm willing to bet that a drone with Standard Remote ID will run 20-Grand or more, plus insurance and other fees. More than likely Joey Consumer will be flying Limited Remote ID and even that will be expensive.

Also, you probably won't be flying higher than 200-feet because that space will be reserved for high-speed delivery drones that have Standard ID..
I certainly hope you are wrong! Otherwise there will be a huge market in sub 250g quads... A system to meet the current requirements should be too heavy or costly to install. Even if we get screwed and the NPRM goes into effect as is, i don't see something like a Mavic 3, or 4 not being possible. Cell antenna, Sim card, all that's needed. I hope..

I certainly hope you are wrong! Otherwise there will be a huge market in sub 250g quads... A system to meet the current requirements should be too heavy or costly to install. Even if we get screwed and the NPRM goes into effect as is, i don't see something like a Mavic 3, or 4 not being possible. Cell antenna, Sim card, all that's needed. I hope..

This will be a big moneymaker for drone manufactures. They can have their prosumer drones that sell for a couple of grand with Limited ID, and then their commercial/industrial drones with Standard ID that will be upwards into the several thousands.

I think the father's day drones will be like a Mavic mini and they will probably be in the $500-$700 range.

How about if we start reaching out to child endangerment organizations on how the FAA wants to have minors that are flying their uavs, have their exact location broadcast to the public. Or will they be restricted to those "special" flying areas.

You have to wonder if they even considered minors flying. I think most parent organizations would be against this.

Reactions: zeeeegerman
This will be a big moneymaker for drone manufactures. They can have their prosumer drones that sell for a couple of grand with Limited ID, and then their commercial/industrial drones with Standard ID that will be upwards into the several thousands.

I think the father's day drones will be like a Mavic mini and they will probably be in the $500-$700 range.
Your logic could be fairly spot on.. I hope you are wrong.. Anything is possible, hopefully we will get multiple manufacturers to create half way affordable Standard ID quads if this thing goes through as is.. Which i hope it does not.

How about if we start reaching out to child endangerment organizations on how the FAA wants to have minors that are flying their uavs, have their exact location broadcast to the public. Or will they be restricted to those "special" flying areas.

You have to wonder if they even considered minors flying. I think most parent organizations would be against this.
Yea no joke. Watch you will have to be 18 to fly a quad lol.. what a joke

Your logic could be fairly spot on.. I hope you are wrong.. Anything is possible, hopefully we will get multiple manufacturers to create half way affordable Standard ID quads if this thing goes through as is.. Which i hope it does not.
The problem is that if they allow flying VLOS with standard I'd, then you will need some heavy duty liability insurance to go along with it. It's already been mentioned that the props on such a drone will have to he completely enclosed along with other approved and inspected safety measure approved by faa.

For the most part, not many people will be willing to pay high insurance rates on a standard I'd drone. So why not just buy the limited I'd for less money. Even if you have a 107 certification your business would have to be making pretty darn good money to justify spending all that extra money to fly.

Yea no joke. Watch you will have to be 18 to fly a quad lol.. what a joke
and if your flying something under 250 grams, then you might be tethered at 100-feet. These will be your 14-years and up drones.

I think you will see that some Joe Blow Consumers will find access to black market firmware to modify their limited id drones. Unfortunately like we've seen in past simular situations, it's always the law abiding citizens that pay the price and suffer. The guys you see on youtube flying through the clouds and breaking all the other flying laws will just keep right on going like energizing bunnies. They will even make videos teaching kids how to hack and modify their limited I'd drones.

In my opinion, if these laws get passed, it will just create more criminals and bring more money to the criminal market.

Reactions: TheRock
These interminable YouTube doomsday prophecies are becoming really tiresome. The faux outrage permeating this one was particularly noteworthy.
What the FAA is proposing for us is already happening in Norway. You need to generate some outrage or this forum won't have much to talk about in three years. Don't kid yourself on this.

What the FAA is proposing for us is already happening in Norway. You need to generate some outrage or this forum won't have much to talk about in three years. Don't kid yourself on this.

I've seen absolutely nothing to support that assertion. Even if the proposal goes ahead as currently written, it's not going to stop anyone from flying. In fact it's going to create an integration framework moving forwards that ensures that everyone can fly.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard