DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

REMOTE ID IN MAVIC 2 PRO

Is there any news on DJI offering guidance on how and where to affix these modules?

At the moment it seems DJI doesn't care too much about people who own drones that do not have this feature.

My concern is, if and when I purchase one of these modules, how will I know where to affix it to the drone so that it doesn't cause problems with the drone's internal components
Just don’t attach it over the drone’s internal control board and GPS antenna that is on top forward of the battery, or over the obstacle sensors. I put stick-on fuzzy Velcro patches on top of all my batteries to hold a light beacon on top of the drone that has the hook patch on it - that’s where I am going to attach my RID module- just move it between battery changes.

Reactions: NoVaMavicPilot
And don’t feel bad about purchasing a Mavic Pro2! It’s the best option out there if you want to use low-cost mapping and autonomous flying programs like Litchi. The stupid Mavic 3’s are locked from those programs and you will need to pay a subscription service to get the same function, and only if you buy an Enterprise version of the M3!

The M2P can be easily made to be RID compliant with a module. Cost/benefits are really good going with a M2P this way.

Reactions: flashmalm
And don’t feel bad about purchasing a Mavic Pro2! It’s the best option out there if you want to use low-cost mapping and autonomous flying programs like Litchi. The stupid Mavic 3’s are locked from those programs and you will need to pay a subscription service to get the same function, and only if you buy an Enterprise version of the M3!

The M2P can be easily made to be RID compliant with a module. Cost/benefits are really good going with a M2P this way.
Thank you for your kind words.

I guess I just have to sit and wait like the rest of us to see what kind of affordable RID modules will be released in the coming months

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
Just don’t attach it over the drone’s internal control board and GPS antenna that is on top forward of the battery, or over the obstacle sensors. I put stick-on fuzzy Velcro patches on top of all my batteries to hold a light beacon on top of the drone that has the hook patch on it - that’s where I am going to attach my RID module- just move it between battery changes.
Would it be safe to say that the back of the drone, on top would be the best place to mount a RID module?

Gosh I hope they release a firmware update to solve all this.
I do too, but I don’t think they are going to. It’s a discontinued model, and they even have stopped selling Mavic 2P batteries for a reason. I’m planning on rebuilding mine when needed, as the knock offs are expensive and some unreliable probably.

I do too, but I don’t think they are going to. It’s a discontinued model, and they even have stopped selling Mavic 2P batteries for a reason. I’m planning on rebuilding mine when needed, as the knock offs are expensive and some unreliable probably.
You're saying you'll be rebuilding your Mavic 2P? If so can we be friends? Haha

Thank you for your kind words.

I guess I just have to sit and wait like the rest of us to see what kind of affordable RID modules will be released in the coming months
Once these things are required, you can bet they will cost pennies on the dollar that they do today. Anyone that pays $199 today for one of these things has deep pockets and zero sense about whats going to happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if these "modules" won't be be offered for free at some point... or for next to nothing. I don't think the FAA wants a new law to cost a ton for people. Thats not much of an incentive to get on the boat, right?

Reactions: Torque
Hey Guys,

Dunno how reliable it is but just got off phone with a DJI tech support person. They said there will be an update to make the mavic 2 pro have remote ID in September. So hopefully this is the case.
Fingers crossed on that one, we have four Mavic 2 at work… I really don’t want to juggle keeping four broadcast modules charged!

I'm in the same boat as Flashmalm, I just bought a M2P on eBay as an up grade from my MP1 and was trying to register it on the FAA web site.

So what next? Fly it without registering or sell it or sell it on eBay myself?

Its messed up. Doesn't make you want to buy another DJI

I got the FAA Certificate of Registration but now wondering if I should still cut my loses and just sell it for a new Mavic 3 Classic or Mini?

I've already sent the controller in for a new charging port and now I'm seeing how quickly the controller and the batteries are looses their charge:-/

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
I got the FAA Certificate of Registration but now wondering if I should still cut my loses and just sell it for a new Mavic 3 Classic or Mini?

I've already sent the controller in for a new charging port and now I'm seeing how quickly the controller and the batteries are looses their charge:-/
Get something current!

Reactions: Kilboar
If DJI doesn’t come through with that claim they will update the M2P, I’m leaning towards they don’t because they’ve even stopped selling the batteries for them, but there is a FAA certified RID module that costs less than $100 from Dronetag- it’s their BS module. Unlike their $199 self-contained Beacon model which is also FAA certified, the BS needs an external $7 antenna and battery.. Total cost would make it about $120 or less. Both of these would work on the M2P’s., so you are really not stuck. The biggest reason for me to not upgrade is in order to fly with Litchi or other control apps like it without having to have a subscription.

We really don’t have a economical choice by upgrading to the M3’s, as only the enterprise models use flight control programs. M2P is clearly a less expensive option for autonomous flight, even if we end up having to buy a RID module for them.

Last edited:
I'm studying for the Part 107 exam and just learned that starting in September this year, the FAA will require all drones to have the Remote ID feature built in. I just emailed DJI, but does anyone know if the Mavic 2 Pro has the Remote ID feature? I bought mine in May of 2021. Thanks for your time reading this.
I'm studying for the Part 107 exam and just learned that starting in September this year, the FAA will require all drones to have the Remote ID feature built in. I just emailed DJI, but does anyone know if the Mavic 2 Pro has the Remote ID feature? I bought mine in May of 2021. Thanks for your time reading this.

Finally, the reporting has to give AMSL readings. I can not find a device that will accurately read barometric pressure to report actual altitude. There are ways to comply with this given the GPS location, and adding AGL numbers, but so far the FAA has not been keen on that solution.

I don't think the fix in the older ships is just a software issue, but a hardware issue as well. There may be those in the forum who have a lot more insight into this than I do, but I think this is a problem for DJI.

I have ordered two external modules for my MAVICS, but have not received them yet. We will see how they work.

I am in the same boat. I hate DJI's product support and product "communications," if that's what we can call it. They definitely know what they are doing being purposefully vague about whether they will support MP2. Many of us feel lulled into an needless sense of panic to upgrade to an MP3. Not going to do it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ