DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

REMOTE ID IN MAVIC 2 PRO

I'm studying for the Part 107 exam and just learned that starting in September this year, the FAA will require all drones to have the Remote ID feature built in. I just emailed DJI, but does anyone know if the Mavic 2 Pro has the Remote ID feature? I bought mine in May of 2021. Thanks for your time reading this.
I purchased the Dronetag Beacon for my Pro 2 and my Air 2. They both arrived a few days ago. They are remarkably small and lightweight. I applied the 3M stickers to my batteries for both drones. The installation With the Dronetag app is easy and straightforward. I put them on my battery, to avoid interfering with the GPS reception for the Drone. It also reminds me that I need them in order to start. The battery condition of the Dronetag Beacon is easily obtained with a single press.

After getting everything charged up, I put both drones up for a certification flight so I could log not only the installation but a completed check flight. Absolutely no problem, even in a 20 MPH wind, later in the day.

The product is not noticeable in terms of drag, or balance, and it uses its own power source so no impact on battery consumption. I flew two complete batteries and noticed no difference in flight time.

A good solution if you don't want to go out and buy another drone.

Editing the registration is simple and straightforward. Once you get into your registration, click edit. It will allow you to put a remote ID in. l Put the number starting with 159 in there and you're done and compliant.

They say these will run for 16 hours.

Aft

I purchased the Dronetag Beacon for my Pro 2 and my Air 2. They both arrived a few days ago. They are remarkably small and lightweight. I applied the 3M stickers to my batteries for both drones. The installation With the Dronetag app is easy and straightforward. I put them on my battery, to avoid interfering with the GPS reception for the Drone. It also reminds me that I need them in order to start. The battery condition of the Dronetag Beacon is easily obtained with a single press.

After getting everything charged up, I put both drones up for a certification flight so I could log not only the installation but a completed check flight. Absolutely no problem, even in a 20 MPH wind, later in the day.

The product is not noticeable in terms of drag, or balance, and it uses its own power source so no impact on battery consumption. I flew two complete batteries and noticed no difference in flight time.

A good solution if you don't want to go out and buy another drone.

Editing the registration is simple and straightforward. Once you get into your registration, click edit. It will allow you to put a remote ID in. l Put the number starting with 159 in there and you're done and compliant.

They say these will run for 16 hours.

Aft
Thanks for the feedback on that, I'm considering that product for my M2P and P4P.

Thanks for the feedback on that, I'm considering that product for my M2P and P4P.
You will be impressed. The app displays the barometric altitude, a real nice feature. I set up on older cell phone as a monitir for the beacon. I have one if my visual observers look at once a minute, or so to see how well it tracks. There is a 99 percent correlation with the drones system.

More to follow. Glad it was helpful.

Reactions: KAOS Imagery
I came across a DJI blog post specific to making drones compliant with French eID requirements:

How to Make your DJI Drone Compliant with the French Remote ID Requirement

It claims the Mavic 2 Series will support a firmware update that enables Remote ID... v01.00.0670 or later. I do not know whether this applies to FAA's Remote ID requirement or not.

The last firmware update I made to my M2P was late in 2022 to v01.00.0790 (nothing available since).
Similar to what @siteguy mentioned earlier in this thread, my M2P also shows a screen in Go 4 Settings called "Remote Identification" which displays a toggle on/off for "UUID" and "Identification & Flight Information" plus a box to enter "Identification" and "Flight Information". I attached a screenshot of it.

If my M2P indeed now has Remote ID capability, how does one verify that it is actually working?

Attachments

• IMG_84640BF4A69E-1.jpeg
    IMG_84640BF4A69E-1.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 10
I came across a DJI blog post specific to making drones compliant with French eID requirements:

How to Make your DJI Drone Compliant with the French Remote ID Requirement

It claims the Mavic 2 Series will support a firmware update that enables Remote ID... v01.00.0670 or later. I do not know whether this applies to FAA's Remote ID requirement or not.

The last firmware update I made to my M2P was late in 2022 to v01.00.0790 (nothing available since).
Similar to what @siteguy mentioned earlier in this thread, my M2P also shows a screen in Go 4 Settings called "Remote Identification" which displays a toggle on/off for "UUID" and "Identification & Flight Information" plus a box to enter "Identification" and "Flight Information". I attached a screenshot of it.

If my M2P indeed now has Remote ID capability, how does one verify that it is actually working?

They could attempt a version if remote ID, but the two approved methods are bluetooth and KTE in the US.

They would have to massage a lot of data and send it through the controller to the connected LTE device. I'm not sure how they get barometric altitude. Add up from launch may work.

There is a lot that would have to be done in the US version.

They could attempt a version if remote ID, but the two approved methods are bluetooth and KTE in the US.

They would have to massage a lot of data and send it through the controller to the connected LTE device. I'm not sure how they get barometric altitude. Add up from launch may work.

There is a lot that would have to be done in the US version.
This is the second time you've made this claim.

However, DJI drones are broadcasting RID over wifi beacon.

How do you explain this in light of your statements above?

This is the second time you've made this claim.

However, DJI drones are broadcasting RID over wifi beacon.

How do you explain this in light of your statements above?
The beacons I am using are Dronetsg, bkuetooth beacons. They are a separate device that attaches to the drone.

Broadcast RID is bluetooth or wifi, not LTE. Not sure why I keep seeing this claim that you need cellular connection to use RID.

Broadcast RID is bluetooth or wifi, not LTE. Not sure why I keep seeing this claim that you need cellular connection to use RID.
I don't think you see anyone with any credibility making this claim but I understand the confusion since once upon a time, it was thought a cellular connection would be needed; but not any more. You should (like me) simply ignore those who are unhappy because they say they will be unable to fly their RID-capable drone because they fly in remote locations where there is no cellular connection. Those who say that hurt the cause and don't support the drone community with their misunderstanding. Again, I'm sympathetic to those who don't fully understand because the rules and regulation are complicated and ever changing but let's keep it real: Requiring a cellular connection to fly a recreational or commercial drone is nothing short of a complete disaster.

Reactions: Torque
I don't think you see anyone with any credibility making this claim but I understand the confusion since once upon a time, it was thought a cellular connection would be needed; but not any more. You should (like me) simply ignore those who are unhappy because they say they will be unable to fly their RID-capable drone because they fly in remote locations where there is no cellular connection. Those who say that hurt the cause and don't support the drone community with their misunderstanding. Again, I'm sympathetic to those who don't fully understand because the rules and regulation are complicated and ever changing but let's keep it real: Requiring a cellular connection to fly a recreational or commercial drone is nothing short of a complete disaster.
That is why the FCC offers up the Bluetooth 5 option.

That is why the FCC offers up the Bluetooth 5 option.
You are repeatedly offering disinformation and confusing people.

All DJI drones that are broadcasting RID are doing so over wifi beacon. No DJI drone has a Bluetooth or LTE transmitter.

Reactions: BigAl07
What's the latest on RID with the Mavic 2 series?

DJI finally announced something last week on the internet, though the link escapes me at the moment.

Expect a firmware update for native RID on Mavic 2
EDIT
…by Dec 31 per DJI.

Post edited to correct date. Sorry, I misremembered the announcement.

Find the official word from DJI here:

Last edited:
It is unclear when that update or if that update will be forthcoming. From what I can figure out is that DJI is using the cell phone attached to the remote to report the flight operation. I guess if you always have your cell phone as control and it has airplane mode turned off, you are good to go.

I fly in a lot of areas that have no cell service, further, I do not leave the device connected to the controller in a condition that I can receive calls and messages on it, so it would be problematic for me. The update may come, but if it isn't independent of the remote and attached LTE device, it is of no value to me.

I await further information from DJI. I purchased two DroneTag Beacons for mine. I can't wait and the cost is not that bad versus a new drone.

It is unclear when that update or if that update will be forthcoming. From what I can figure out is that DJI is using the cell phone attached to the remote to report the flight operation. I guess if you always have your cell phone as control and it has airplane mode turned off, you are good to go.
This too is untrue. And paranoid. And shockingly ignorant regarding RID.

RID is broadcast from the aircraft, and only the aircraft. The controller hardware, cell phone or other, neither broadcasts RID over its radio, nor sends any RID data over the internet, should it be connected.

Stop making things up and misleading people.

A representative of DJI posted to their forums that a firmware update near the end of the year would implement RID on the Mavic 2. A link to that posting was posted somewhere on mavicpilots. Following that link is how I know.

Forum search is your friend.

Reactions: BigAl07 and SethB
This too is untrue. And paranoid. And shockingly ignorant regarding RID.

RID is broadcast from the aircraft, and only the aircraft. The controller hardware, cell phone or other, neither broadcasts RID over its radio, nor sends any RID data over the internet, should it be connected.

Stop making things up and misleading people.
Well then source your information on the older aircraft. DJI has not been forthcoming. There is no Bluetooth on the older ships. So you telling me that they are going to broadcast LTE from a Mavic w Pro because they sure as heck are not going to send Bluetooth. If you have better information provide it. They have some interesting issues to deal with if they are going to use existing equipment on the older ships. Please share your grand wisdom and stop just kvetching.

I fly in a lot of areas that have no cell service, further, I do not leave the device connected to the controller in a condition that I can receive calls and messages on it, so it would be problematic for me. The update may come, but if it isn't independent of the remote and attached LTE device, it is of no value to me.

I await further information from DJI. I purchased two DroneTag Beacons for mine. I can't wait and the cost is not that bad versus a new drone.
Really sad to see the lack of understanding, I know the concepts are pretty complicated but there's no excuse for the ignorance at this level. So if anything is inconclusive, we're just free to make up anything we want as long as it sounds good, huh? I see this in quite a few posts throughout this forum, not just from you. This is a drone forum. Facts matter.

Reactions: Ty Pilot and Torque
Really sad to see the lack of understanding, I know the concepts are pretty complicated but there's no excuse for the ignorance at this level. So if anything is inconclusive, we're just free to make up anything we want as long as it sounds good, huh? I see this in quite a few posts throughout this forum, not just from you. This is a drone forum. Facts matter.
Again, looking for good information, if you know how they are going to do it, please dispell the ignorance, don't just because troll.

• Wow
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zack400