DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

REMOTE ID IN MAVIC 2 PRO

…So let's say only the use of the RM500 will make the M2 RID complaint but if you use any other controller only (without a phone), your M2 is not complaint....that's going to be interesting, for sure. 🫤

Maybe her answer would have been "you have to connect your phone if you not going to use RM500, otherwise the drone (when updated) won't lift-off" had you mentioned you were using some other controller. In any case, I still do not believe you will see RM500 in the FAA DoC…
Clearly this is all speculative, as we won’t know what DJI has accomplished with the Mavic 2, its standard controller, and the RM500 smart controller until we’re looking at it in the rear view mirror.

My Air2s can use the RC-N1 or the Smart Controller. It has a DOC, but neither controller is listed. I think it comes back to GPS at the control station. The Smart Controller supports GPS, the RC-N1 and original Mavic 2 controller do not support GPS. I believe that full RID only comes with GPS at the control station, whether provided by a controller, a Smart Controller / screened controller, or by a phone or tablet with GPS location services turned on.

I think we’re all saying roughly the same thing here.

I’m just very happy that my employer’s fleet of Mavic 2 with Smart Controller will eventually have native Standard RID. I’d be even happier if this was ready to go on Sept. 16!

Reactions: mavic3usa
None of these answers maje any sense. Read the FAA specification carefully and tell me howcteyvare going to do it. Utvis a fair question. Ss interesting, Dronetag is compliant and us totally independent ofvthe controller and the drone.

Read the spec carefully.

None of these answers maje any sense. Read the FAA specification carefully and tell me howcteyvare going to do it. Utvis a fair question. Ss interesting, Dronetag is compliant and us totally independent ofvthe controller and the drone.

Read the spec carefully.
Yes, one should read the spec carefully.

As an (external) Broadcast Module, Dronetag is not required to have GPS at the controller. Different rules apply to “Standard RID” and “Broadcast Module” RID. It’s all there in the published rules and specs.

@gajman what specifically is not making sense to you?

There are published hardware specs for the DJI systems that they’ve announced that will be “Standard RID” that seem to include all the required RID broadcast capabilities.

I have not seen their latest software with RID, I am interested in how they intend to deal with an external Module if you choose that option. I continue to be interested in how the information gets to the LTE network.

I have not seen their latest software with RID, I am interested in how they intend to deal with an external Module if you choose that option. I continue to be interested in how the information gets to the LTE network.
Read the spec carefully. LTE is not part of the requirement for Pt. 107 or 44809 pilots. Period.

Didn’t you already go around in these circles a few posts back? Nothing has changed in the last few days. I won’t spin with you on this pointless exchange.

I continue to be interested in how the information gets to the LTE network.
I reached out the FAA and offered to transport the information to the LTE network using my personal secure uplink flux capacitor arrays installed in my basement. Haven't heard back from them yet but clearly it's the best option. There, you happy now?! o_O

• Haha
Reactions: Ty Pilot
I reached out the FAA and offered to transport the information to the LTE network using my personal secure uplink flux capacitor arrays installed in my basement. Haven't heard back from them yet but clearly it's the best option. There, you happy now?! o_O

Kind of you.
I have not intentionally unclear. My concern is that while this system is intended for local transmission, it bears the earmarks of an older FAA system, Automatic Dependent Surveillance and Broadcast (ADS-B). Like RID it is an open source system. Tens of thousands of volunteer, but interested individuals, monitor and send the data real time to database mo itired by the FAA. .

This open source system provides exactly the same opportunity. I making a clearly weak attempt to find out how all this data will ultimately be amassed and used.

So here's a question I haven't seen answered yet...If DJI can't/won't do a firmware update for the M2P, and I don't purchase something similar to the Dronetag BS (appropriate name BTW) to shout out my location, how will the FAA even know I'm flying if I have nothing to broadcast? They currently don't know when or where I'm flying unless I apply for a Waiver. Just a thought

Reactions: snowman747
So here's a question I haven't seen answered yet...If DJI can't/won't do a firmware update for the M2P, and I don't purchase something similar to the Dronetag BS (appropriate name BTW) to shout out my location, how will the FAA even know I'm flying if I have nothing to broadcast? They currently don't know when or where I'm flying unless I apply for a Waiver. Just a thought
It's a good question and from what I can tell, the FAA will not know for sure and from the way I understand how the database and registration works today, there's no way to enforce it....at least for the next 3 years.

My understand is registration is just a database for reference. There are no functional attributes meaning it doesn't check for validity or to enable flight or approve anything at this point. I could be wrong.

I continue to be interested in how the information gets to the LTE network.

Straight from the FAA website, here is what they said:

'The FAA reaffirms the remote identification broadcast requirement, as
adopted, is a local broadcast that would be receivable to smart devices and other compatible
receivers within a limited proximity to the aircraft.’

There will not be an ‘all seeing eye’ that continually monitors all drone flights.

Reactions: BigAl07
Here's are links I found from DroneDJ regarding DJI drones without Remote ID compliance. I bought my M2P 2 years ago, so it does not have the Remote ID compliance and any firmware update from DJI to bring it to compliance will not be issued until December 2023. DroneDJ advises pilots with this problem to buy a $40 module from CubePilot to remedy the situation until DJI can issue the firmware update.

I'm hoping this is just a simple thing to attach to the drone with tape and it not interfere with its flight or imaging functions.

Here's are links I found from DroneDJ regarding DJI drones without Remote ID compliance. I bought my M2P 2 years ago, so it does not have the Remote ID compliance and any firmware update from DJI to bring it to compliance will not be issued until December 2023. DroneDJ advises pilots with this problem to buy a $40 module from CubePilot to remedy the situation until DJI can issue the firmware update.

I'm hoping this is just a simple thing to attach to the drone with tape and it not interfere with its flight or imaging functions.

I don't recommend the "CubePilot broadcast module" until I can find some sort of FAA DoC for the device. Perhaps I am missing it but not helpful if it isn't certified. Otherwise, you would still need battery/antenna/housing which isn't helpful for the ordinary pilot.

Last edited:
^I'm going to edit my post for clarification. Instead of Cube Pilot, I mean: "CubePilot broadcast module". ;)

DJI has already announced that the M2 Pro/M2 Zoom will get RID by the end of the year.

Enforcement of RID would depend on where you flew and who noticed that you flew. If you were out flying at a park and some person had a RID app, they would notice that your drone wasn't showing up. They could call LEO. That's probably an extreme case, but it is what it is.

Reactions: BigAl07
DJI has already announced that the M2 Pro/M2 Zoom will get RID by the end of the year.

Enforcement of RID would depend on where you flew and who noticed that you flew. If you were out flying at a park and some person had a RID app, they would notice that your drone wasn't showing up. They could call LEO. That's probably an extreme case, but it is what it is.
Great planning, I have 15 of those in our fleet, so buy a module that will be needed for 30, 60, 90 days?

My understanding is that nobody outside DJI knows for sure whether their roadmap includes native RID on the Mavic 2.

I’m very hopeful that we won’t have to buy external RID Broadcast Modules, but we won’t know until DJI makes clear their plans. It’s all speculation for now!
I hope that they do! My Skydio 2 has already updated and my 3 DJI Drones are still in limbo!

I hope that they do! My Skydio 2 has already updated and my 3 DJI Drones are still in limbo!
My post you quoted was accurate on April 24 when I wrote it.

On July 1 DJI made an official announcement that the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom would receive a firmware update to provide Standard RID.

Hooray!

Except they also announced its availability “by Dec 31”, well after the Sept 16 FAA deadline.

Details earlier in this thread.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer