DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

REMOTE ID IN MAVIC 2 PRO

My post you quoted was accurate on April 24 when I wrote it.

On July 1 DJI made an official announcement that the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom would receive a firmware update to provide Standard RID.

Hooray!

Except they also announced its availability “by Dec 31”, well after the Sept 16 FAA deadline.

Details earlier in this thread.
Has DJI ever made an "official" announcement and failed to follow thru on it? How about delays, have they provided dates and ended up with endless delays to the point where it seems like it's never coming?

My post you quoted was accurate on April 24 when I wrote it.

On July 1 DJI made an official announcement that the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom would receive a firmware update to provide Standard RID.

Hooray!

Except they also announced its availability “by Dec 31”, well after the Sept 16 FAA deadline.

Details earlier in this thread.
So, got buy mods to use for 90 days? DJI Dropped the ball there. M2s will probably be obsolete by end of 2024 anyway.

So, got buy mods to use for 90 days? DJI Dropped the ball there. M2s will probably be obsolete by end of 2024 anyway.
It's unfortunate that DJI will miss the deadline by 4 months. They could have a release before the end of the year or they could miss it altogether. I'm encouraged by their announcement, by I'm not expecting the update to be out by any schedule.

From a business perspective, it's hard to get development and testing resources allocated to a device that hasn't been in production for two years. They will generate no income for the release of the M2 RID update. If they are holding back the RID update deliberately, they are hoping that the M2 user will just buy a new one.

My M2 doesn't feel obsolete to me just yet. If they don't release the RID update, I'll just buy an external RID device when the price bottoms out.

So, it would be fantastic to know which legit temporary remedy to go with to be able to comply with the FAA Remote ID ruling September deadline. There's the "wire and computer chip" looking $40 fix from Cube Pilot and there's the $200 DroneTag Beacon. I just got my drone license so I have yet to start my business. Working to get traction on that. We don't even know for sure if the firmware update DJI is promising for the end of the year will be a solution. Can anyone please answer if I need to pay $40 or $200? I thank you for your time reading this and answering.

So, it would be fantastic to know which legit temporary remedy to go with to be able to comply with the FAA Remote ID ruling September deadline. There's the "wire and computer chip" looking $40 fix from Cube Pilot and there's the $200 DroneTag Beacon. I just got my drone license so I have yet to start my business. Working to get traction on that. We don't even know for sure if the firmware update DJI is promising for the end of the year will be a solution. Can anyone please answer if I need to pay $40 or $200? I thank you for your time reading this and answering.
Right now, you don't need to pay anything. Most prudent to continue wait and see for the next 60 days or so since technically you don't need to get your business started on day 1 of RID (your business start date could be Nov 1). Sometimes government laws are inconvenient to business and you may have to experience a delay until you can figure it out. Clearly you can pay $200 today and mostly put all of this behind you but there are 3 risks: The first one (small) is the broadcast module that you purchase today can have it's certification rescinded before day 1. The second one is (medium) FAA can have a change of heart and delay the RID execution deadline for 90 days. The third one is most likely, DJI can provide the RID solution for your drone earlier than expected. For example, the DJI FPV just got RID this week (last week in July) and the earlier predictions/promises from DJI indicated August 31.

Reactions: anotherlab
Right now, you don't need to pay anything. Most prudent to continue wait and see for the next 60 days or so since technically you don't need to get your business started on day 1 of RID (your business start date could be Nov 1). Sometimes government laws are inconvenient to business and you may have to experience a delay until you can figure it out. Clearly you can pay $200 today and mostly put all of this behind you but there are 3 risks: The first one (small) is the broadcast module that you purchase today can have it's certification rescinded before day 1. The second one is (medium) FAA can have a change of heart and delay the RID execution deadline for 90 days. The third one is most likely, DJI can provide the RID solution for your drone earlier than expected. For example, the DJI FPV just got RID this week (last week in July) and the earlier predictions/promises from DJI indicated August 31.
The second scenario is the easiest, I think, for the FAA to just push the deadline. I do hope DJI is able to provide a firmware update well ahead of when they said they could. Thanks for the perspective.

Reactions: mavic3usa
I'm studying for the Part 107 exam and just learned that starting in September this year, the FAA will require all drones to have the Remote ID feature built in. I just emailed DJI, but does anyone know if the Mavic 2 Pro has the Remote ID feature? I bought mine in May of 2021. Thanks for your time reading this.
I chatted with DJI today:
I asked:
Is DJI going to have a software updateto the Mavic 2 to make it compatible with FAA regulations for RemoteID?

This is the reply:
As per check, as of now the DJI Mavic 2 is not FAA RID-compliant yet, however we expect the firmware upgrade will available by December 31, 2023 at the latest for the FAA RID-compliant.

So it looks like Mavic 2 will be compliant by end of year.

I asked:
Is DJI going to have a software updateto the Mavic 2 to make it compatible with FAA regulations for RemoteID?

This is the reply:
As per check, as of now the DJI Mavic 2 is not FAA RID-compliant yet, however we expect the firmware upgrade will available by December 31, 2023 at the latest for the FAA RID-compliant.

I doubt the DJI engineers give the CSRs any regular updates. They may be making progress but until they have something significant, they won't update anyone. I work with engineers in broadcasting and that's how they are.

From the DJI site -
1#
DJI, the global leader in civilian drones and creative camera technology, is dedicated to providing our valued customers with important updates regarding compliance with the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA)remote identification (remote ID) regulation.

Remote ID refers to a drone's ability to transmit identification and location information during flight, which can be received by relevant parties. By implementing remote ID, the FAA aims to enhance situational awareness, streamline airspace management, monitor compliance, and support law enforcement efforts. According to FAA, all drone pilots required to register their UAS must operate their aircraft in accordance with the final rule on remote ID beginning September 16, 2023.

All DJI drones manufactured after September 16, 2022, such as Mavic 3 Pro, Mavic 3 Classic, Inspire 3, and DJI Mini 3, all have built-in remote ID capabilities. For drone pilots operating other DJI models to ensure compliance with the remote ID requirements, they have three options:

1. Update the Drone’s Firmware: Several of DJIs latest and most popular drone models have obtained, or will soon receive firmware updates to support remote ID functionality. These updates guarantee that you can adhere to the FAA's remote ID regulations.
2. Purchase a Separate Broadcast Module: In cases where certain drone models cannot receive firmware updates for remote ID, customers have the option to purchase a separate broadcast module. This module can be retrofitted onto your drone and broadcasts identification and location information as required by the remote ID rule.
3. Fly within FAA-Recognized Identification Areas (FRIAs): FRIAs are specific locations recognized by the FAA where drones can operate without the need for remote ID transmission.

While we strive to support as many customers as possible, certain older drone models cannot receive firmware updates for remote ID due to hardware compatibility limitations. For owners of unsupported drone models, we encourage you to consider purchasing a separate broadcast module to ensure compliance with remote ID regulations.

Below outlines the status of the Remote ID compliance of DJI’s consumer drones:

Drone Model Name
Broadcast Module Needed?
No​
No​
No​
No​
Mavic 3 Cine​
No​
No​
No​
Inspire 3​
No​
Mavic 3 Pro​
No​
Mavic 3 Pro Cine​
No​
FPV
No; Firmware upgrade will available by August 31, 2023 at the latest​
No; Firmware upgrade will available by September 30, 2023 at the latest​
No; Firmware upgrade will available by December 31, 2023 at the latest​
No; Firmware upgrade will available by December 31, 2023 at the latest​
Phantom 4 Pro v2.0​
No; Firmware upgrade will available by December 31, 2023 at the latest

At DJI, we are passionate about driving the drone industry forward while ensuring safety and compliance. We appreciate your support and understanding as we navigate the evolving landscape of drone regulations.​

Hadn't heard the FPV was getting integrated RID... great news!

I doubt the DJI engineers give the CSRs any regular updates. They may be making progress but until they have something significant, they won't update anyone. I work with engineers in broadcasting and that's how they are.
Does the FAA need to certify the RID updates? If that is the case, then part of the schedule for a RID update is outside of DJI's control.

Does the FAA need to certify the RID updates? If that is the case, then part of the schedule for a RID update is outside of DJI's control.
My opinion is the FAA does not do anything meaningful to certify the updates. It appears they simply receive the completed details and they issue the final DoC in a matter of hours/days or depending on how long it takes to get to them, it could be weeks. Earlier this year, an invalid request was submitted and approved only to be rescinded which leads me to believe there is no real testing being done by the FAA. Certification is probably done by submission/signature/etc on your honor.

My opinion is the FAA does not do anything meaningful to certify the updates. It appears they simply receive the completed details and they issue the final DoC in a matter of hours/days or depending on how long it takes to get to them, it could be weeks. Earlier this year, an invalid request was submitted and approved only to be rescinded which leads me to believe there is no real testing being done by the FAA. Certification is probably done by submission/signature/etc on your honor.
It looks like the process is documented here. The FAA relies on the submitter to attest that the RID module satisfies the requirements. It does allow the FAA the right to respect the facilities that produce the module.

I asked:

This is the reply:

Ugh. Part 107 holder here with an MP2. Been flying for two years and dreading this moment. DJI's communications are a [ADMIN Removed Language]. Scrambling to figure out what to do. Still confused whether we have or need to refer to a a list of FAA-approved RID modules?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm studying for the Part 107 exam and just learned that starting in September this year, the FAA will require all drones to have the Remote ID feature built in. I just emailed DJI, but does anyone know if the Mavic 2 Pro has the Remote ID feature? I bought mine in May of 2021. Thanks for your time reading this.

That's the common abbreviation. I just figured the a couple of letters were transposed.
Not getting why you didn't act like you had absolutely no idea.

That's what you're supposed to do around here, then treat the person who made the mistake like they're a complete idiot.

Happens all the time in this friendly place 🙄

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1