DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID really built into the Air 2S? How does it work?

gotdrone

Reactions
I went through several threads from last year that didn't address my questions, so here goes:

1) I updated my firmware yesterday on my Air 2S. I also updated the controller firmware with DJI Assistant to be sure.

I do see the Remote ID number in the settings. I wanted to see if this really works.

I took it out to the park to fly it last night, got it up in the air, and launched DroneTags's Drone Scanner app.

Nothing detected.

Question is: is the Air 2S supposed to be broadcasting RID signals now? Or it's expected to turn on magically before 9/16?

2) I don't understand what hardware is already built in. Was DJI just looking that far in the future to include a RID module?

Question is: Are they just using the existing transmission to the controller to satisfy RID, or is this really some different hardware that's currently unused?

Unfortunately many people are having trouble getting different apps to work properly and detect transmissions. But of course, by the time karen get ahold of these apps in September, they'll work fine and all drones will be easily detected.

The Air2S is RID COP so when updated properly, it will be properly broadcasting NOW in the USA using existing hardware already built-in.

Reactions: Cafguy
2) I don't understand what hardware is already built in. Was DJI just looking that far in the future to include a RID module?

Question is: Are they just using the existing transmission to the controller to satisfy RID, or is this really some different hardware that's currently unused?
There really is no special hardware, there never has been.

Modern Drones are transferring massive amounts of data between the controller and the drone via WiFi and have since day one. While there is a protocol that 'locks' the signal between the drone and controller, this does not (and never has) stopped, the data from being sent out into the air of the surrounding area - openly as a WiFi signal.

For anyone curious, check out our crash and assistance forum to see how much data the drone sends back to the controller during any given flight. The controller and the drone are both sending and receiving signals, but as mentioned, each is capable of selecting the specific packet of data coming from the corresponding controller/drone. This is how you are able to fly next to other drones or in a high density WiFi environment without interruption.

Never the less, All of that data is just being spit out there from the transmitters in the controller and drone. It would only take a minor programming effort to include more data (such as serial numbers - and thus owner/pilot identity and location) in those streams. Ever wondered why you need to have an 'account' with the manufacturer before you fly their drone?

When folks first heard about DJI's proprietary 'AeroScope', most were stunned and shocked that it could see and interpret data on every DJI drone within 50 miles. But that was not rocket science, it simply was a device that could pick up those signals (albeit at very long distance) that every drone was broadcasting, and read them.

If you think about it, when you're flying and look down at your screen, you can see a myriad of information on speed, altitude, direction, battery health, GPS, compass heading, signal strength, location, and a whole lot more. And this is only a fraction of the data that is being sent back. Adding another line of data to include GPS coordinates or whatever, is a few mouse clicks by a programmer. (okay its a little more than that but it's not rocket science or special hardware)

RID, is essentially mandating that drones in the US from all manufacturers, whether via internal or add-on module, broadcast a specific set of data - along with everything else. This is why drones built long before RID was even a thought, will soon be RID equipped if the manufacturer so chooses.

If there are any Spread Spectrum engineers around perhaps they can be more detailed, but this is the 'jist' of how it works. This is why there is no special hardware or broadcast signals added, but rather using the existing hardware and software to complete a minor task, well within existing capability.

Thanks mobilehomer, I know my networks pretty well. Googling didn't bring me a good result, just a lot of posts speculating. I suspect it's because I forgot to shut off my VPN on my phone.

I'll load the app on a phone without a VPN, my "Tello phone" LOL

Thanks for all the info Ty Pilot!

I went through several threads from last year that didn't address my questions, so here goes:

1) I updated my firmware yesterday on my Air 2S. I also updated the controller firmware with DJI Assistant to be sure.

I do see the Remote ID number in the settings. I wanted to see if this really works.

I took it out to the park to fly it last night, got it up in the air, and launched DroneTags's Drone Scanner app.

Nothing detected.

Question is: is the Air 2S supposed to be broadcasting RID signals now? Or it's expected to turn on magically before 9/16?

I had the same issue you just described. Then someone posted and said open the app, then to go into the settings ( 3 dots in upper right) enable Wi-Fi, then tap preferences, tap wi-fi beacon and NaN, in permission GRANT ALL (Wi-Fi, Location and Bluetooth) Bluetooth scan priority: "HIGH". He then mentioned to check my app settings, and phone settings (both accessible on the same page. I then 'poked around' and 'Set as default' - 'in this app'..... not knowing exactly what I was doing. I then tried the app again and it worked. It saw all of my drone info, launch point and much more. It seems to take up to a full minute to recognize the drone after launching the app. I wish I could remember EXACTLY WHAT I DID, but it all came down to PHONE SETTINGS. If your drone is equipped with RID, it is transmitting ID just like 'mobilehomer' stated. Keep tinkering.

Look for the App "Air Sentinel" in the Google Play store. That one works.

Reactions: michaeldallen1
I use the DB120 from drone becon. Both of the apps they list on page 8 of there manual pickup my DJI Matrice 200 however, reading deeper it appear the use the OpenDrone Framework to share data. Neither app would pickup my Skydio 2+ or Mini 3 Pro yet they have RID. This would indicate they may be using another protocol to share data with FAA.

Another issue is it appears not all cell phone have Bluetooth 5 which is what the DB120 and other RID units use for verification via cell phones

Interesting we will need to see what DJI and Skydio list as there method of sharing RID with FAA

It may also be that DJI and Skydio have not enabled the RID data and are waiting until 9/1/2023

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-07-15_082827.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-07-15_082827.jpg
    736.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_2023-07-15_083718.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-07-15_083718.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I took it out to a remote location, used a phone without a VPN, and I got the RID signal right away.

Thanks for all the answers above.

The funny part, it also worked on the first phone from the original test, with the VPN turned on, without settings changes.

Now, in the first test, I was in a park away from any houses (by 300 feet) but I was close to an industrial area. I wonder if some interference could have been a problem in getting the signal. I should have been more scientific and recorded my steps, seems like something must have been different.

LOL FWIW I dropped my cheap Tello phone (worth about $60) on this recent test and smashed the screen, so I have made my RID sacrifice, even if I don't have to buy a module to attach.

So glad to know the Air 2S works with RID.

Like how does it work scoob?

Talking to a cloud instead of direct reception?

clouds-jwn6.jpg

I use the DB120 from drone becon. Both of the apps they list on page 8 of there manual pickup my DJI Matrice 200 however, reading deeper it appear the use the OpenDrone Framework to share data. Neither app would pickup my Skydio 2+ or Mini 3 Pro yet they have RID. This would indicate they may be using another protocol to share data with FAA.

Another issue is it appears not all cell phone have Bluetooth 5 which is what the DB120 and other RID units use for verification via cell phones

Interesting we will need to see what DJI and Skydio list as there method of sharing RID with FAA

It may also be that DJI and Skydio have not enabled the RID data and are waiting until 9/1/2023
DJI and Skydio (major promoter of rid) could practically just share your flights through their cloud.

LOL FWIW I dropped my cheap Tello phone (worth about $60) on this recent test and smashed the screen
Dang! So sorry to hear that. My 'Tello phone' already has a cracked screen but still usable.
Can someone tell me if 'sharing to cloud' can be turned off before I install and use this app? That's one 'feature' I have no interest in, ATM

Can someone tell me if 'sharing to cloud' can be turned off before I install and use this app? That's one 'feature' I have no interest in, ATM
It's not automatic.

Reactions: umanbean
DJI and Skydio (major promoter of rid) could practically just share your flights through their cloud.
Could it be that your drone beacon isn't picking up everything. And I wasn't aware of how phone settings affect the transmitter on the drone. If you flew the drone with just the controller it would still be transmitting id information from my understanding.

There really is no special hardware, there never has been.

Modern Drones are transferring massive amounts of data between the controller and the drone via WiFi and have since day one. While there is a protocol that 'locks' the signal between the drone and controller, this does not (and never has) stopped, the data from being sent out into the air of the surrounding area - openly as a WiFi signal.

For anyone curious, check out our crash and assistance forum to see how much data the drone sends back to the controller during any given flight. The controller and the drone are both sending and receiving signals, but as mentioned, each is capable of selecting the specific packet of data coming from the corresponding controller/drone. This is how you are able to fly next to other drones or in a high density WiFi environment without interruption.

Never the less, All of that data is just being spit out there from the transmitters in the controller and drone. It would only take a minor programming effort to include more data (such as serial numbers - and thus owner/pilot identity and location) in those streams. Ever wondered why you need to have an 'account' with the manufacturer before you fly their drone?

When folks first heard about DJI's proprietary 'AeroScope', most were stunned and shocked that it could see and interpret data on every DJI drone within 50 miles. But that was not rocket science, it simply was a device that could pick up those signals (albeit at very long distance) that every drone was broadcasting, and read them.

If you think about it, when you're flying and look down at your screen, you can see a myriad of information on speed, altitude, direction, battery health, GPS, compass heading, signal strength, location, and a whole lot more. And this is only a fraction of the data that is being sent back. Adding another line of data to include GPS coordinates or whatever, is a few mouse clicks by a programmer. (okay its a little more than that but it's not rocket science or special hardware)

RID, is essentially mandating that drones in the US from all manufacturers, whether via internal or add-on module, broadcast a specific set of data - along with everything else. This is why drones built long before RID was even a thought, will soon be RID equipped if the manufacturer so chooses.

If there are any Spread Spectrum engineers around perhaps they can be more detailed, but this is the 'jist' of how it works. This is why there is no special hardware or broadcast signals added, but rather using the existing hardware and software to complete a minor task, well within existing capability.
Thank you for a clear, concise explanation of RID.

I just did some experimentation with my Air 2S and discovered the following without using a drone scanner app.
1. iPhone can occasionally see the RID in the WIFI list but not consistently
2. RC Pro, with is Android based, can see the WIFI RID being transmitted consistently.
3. The RID is only transmitted in the propellers are moving. In other words when the Air 2S is powered up the RID is not being transmitted but the moment I start the propellers I can see it.

You might ask why I didn't just use a scanner app and the answer is:
1. They don't work on an iPhone
2. The RC Pro has access to the Amazon App Store which doesn't have any drone scanner apps. The Google Play Store is not available on the PC Pro.

I need to acquire an Android phone to run a drone scanner app for the fun of it.

Dang! So sorry to hear that. My 'Tello phone' already has a cracked screen but still usable.

Folks, install a firewall app so you can control network access on an individual app basis. That way you can disable all network access for an RID app, or any other.

I use Adguard, which also is an excellent ad blocker too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danyjames_