DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote Island

Tanto

Reactions
Hey guys, I’m new here hi everybody ✌ Joined this forum seems the best and its first time in a forum on anything, and first time drone. Had it a week just been flying around the street. So... first hopefully not to stupid question, actually 3,, I’m going to a seriously remote island surfing way out of range of all things modern like electricity hot water and phone connection. Can I use my Mavic there? Anything I should know, do or buy?
Thanks

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Can I use my Mavic there?
Yes.

Anything I should know, do or buy?
Here are a few things to do:

1) Since you won't have an Internet connection, make sure you're logged into the DJI GO app before heading to the island. When not connected and running the latest firmware, you'll be restricted to a height of 30 meters (98 feet) and a distance of 50 meters (164 feet). See more details here.

2) If you want to be able to see the map in DJI GO, then make sure you cache the maps in DJI GO in a location where you have an Internet connection at some point before heading to the island. You can find instructions on caching the maps here.

3) Make sure your Mavic and remote controller batteries are fully charged and buy extra batteries if needed.

4) If you want to be able to charge your batteries and/or remote controller from the island, you could use some type of portable charging station. Here are a few options that might be a good fit:

Last edited:
Thanks heaps great to be here! Grateful for your detailed response, you’ve just opened up basically the whole planet (minus airports and nasa etc ). Your video and responses to others on this topic extremely helpful., and patient.✌ I’ll let you know how I go with it.
Next. (Intend on learning this at home first full connectivity and gps etc ) Will it follow (track) me actually surfing for a battery cycle? I ask as I may actually disappear for a few seconds in the tube, lots of sunlight reflection , and also obviously dangerous for my new Mav Pro Platinum over water.

Reactions: radman
Thanks heaps great to be here! Grateful for your detailed response, you’ve just opened up basically the whole planet (minus airports and nasa etc ). Your video and responses to others on this topic extremely helpful., and patient.✌ I’ll let you know how I go with it.
Next. (Intend on learning this at home first full connectivity and gps etc ) Will it follow (track) me actually surfing for a battery cycle? I ask as I may actually disappear for a few seconds in the tube, lots of sunlight reflection , and also obviously dangerous for my new Mav Pro Platinum over water.
It won't track you if you "disappear". It will stop and hover at that point. Also, you will want to make sure that someone is at the controls at all times even when using automated flight modes.

I wold also recommend getting some ND PL Filters. If its going to be very sunny I would get a ND 32 PL or maybe even a ND 64 PL.

I went with Polar Pro and have 0 regrets. Extremely fast shipping and very nice product. Below is a chart for recommended usage and a thread i made with some helpful videos about the different filters.

how do i print screen
Need Help Picking Correct ND Filters

Hey guys hi from Byron Bay Aust,sorry about delayed reply been away. Love the floating accessories! And will order some filters too. Now I’m clear about the surfing thing better to ask than risk losing my drone. Ok, I’m struggling with flying by camera,but maybe I just need lots of practice. I think I have to get iPad to see better Any helpful advice on navigating this way? ✌

I have a 9.7' 5th gen iPad (was, maybe still is $249). The Gen 6 iPad is $329 right now.

I also have a 5.5" phone to fly with - I like the iPad MUCH better. There are adapters available to attach a larger tablet to the controller. I made one out of a mic stand tablet holder and another piece that clamps into the controller in place of a phone.

Have a good look at the CASA regulations. Not sure how you can be tracking yourself surfing and still be controlling your SUV
Not much danger of a CASA inspector catching you on the island but if you post film online they may come asking awkward quedtions.

Sorry are you "surfing" to the island..? or sailing there and surfing when you arrive? either way it sounds like you ned a seriously waterproof bag or case to cart your beloved gear!

Have a good look at the CASA regulations. Not sure how you can be tracking yourself surfing and still be controlling your SUV
Not much danger of a CASA inspector catching you on the island but if you post film online they may come asking awkward quedtions.
Hey guys,ok to clarify the surfing thing,,my plan was to set up on the beach- launch,set it to track me just like on a push bike ,paddle quick to a close enough break,catch a few in 20mins,come in and supervise the landing of drone which I presume will be straight above me all the way..exactly the same(I hope) as the promo vids of Mavic tracking cyclists etc. I’ll stick to small easy waves for this. I will be alone and be of course trying to get some footage of me surfing on my trip.. what do you guys think?

Sorry are you "surfing" to the island..? or sailing there and surfing when you arrive? either way it sounds like you ned a seriously waterproof bag or case to cart your beloved gear!

✌No flying & long bus ride to the sth of the Indonesian Island for few wks. But yep I have dribag etc for sure.

I have a 9.7' 5th gen iPad (was, maybe still is $249). The Gen 6 iPad is $329 right now.

I also have a 5.5" phone to fly with - I like the iPad MUCH better. There are adapters available to attach a larger tablet to the controller. I made one out of a mic stand tablet holder and another piece that clamps into the controller in place of a phone.
Cool yes I have 4th gen iPad but found out the dji app won’t work on anything before 5th gen,so I’m going to upgrade. I have iPhone X but iPad just has to be better.
So guys,I saw a utube vid where 2guys flew with no phone at all,just the controller. What’s the go with that? How much can you do like that. ?? Thanks

So guys,I saw a utube vid where 2guys flew with no phone at all,just the controller. What’s the go with that? How much can you do like that. ?? Thanks
No phone/tablet means no special flight modes, so no tracking, gestures or anything that you have to set up using the app once in flight. You can film and take pictures but you’ll only see what you’ve got once you download the files to a pc. Time and date stamps will be incorrect. RTH works fine but the home point will be the take off point. Sport mode works. Altitude, distance, satellites, battery %’s are all shown on the remote. It’s just like flying an RC plane or helicopter.

Hey guys,ok to clarify the surfing thing,,my plan was to set up on the beach- launch,set it to track me just like on a push bike ,paddle quick to a close enough break,catch a few in 20mins,come in and supervise the landing of drone which I presume will be straight above me all the way..exactly the same(I hope) as the promo vids of Mavic tracking cyclists etc. I’ll stick to small easy waves for this. I will be alone and be of course trying to get some footage of me surfing on my trip.. what do you guys think?
No. No. No. Bad idea.

Someone needs to be at the controls monitoring the drone.

No. No. No. Bad idea.

Someone needs to be at the controls monitoring the drone.
Ok thanks understood. HUGE QUESTION! !!!! :- my mate bought his Mav Pro same time as me,he has drone licence for lifesaving here and shark spotting. So he’s pretty competent and also very astute and careful. He was flying 800m out to sea and all of sudden lost all gps and connection,conditions windless,perfect calm - all settings were right at takeoff RTH etc, and Bam! Nothing! He tried to fly blind but nothing then he quickly switched off app,reopen and select ‘find my drone’ it showed exact position 50m out and camera showed sand and water!!! Its on the bottom of sea. Said weak signal then signal lost - end of drone. $2000 gone. He rang me said seems to be a lot online about loosing gps etc?? Guys please give this one all your knowledge. I’ve watched utube guys go 5times further away than that and come home safely. Ok thanks in advance this is critical as it could obviously happen to any drone. PS all Surf Lifesaving Clubs here use Mavic drones the white X shaped ones for this same purpose- shark monitoring over water. It’s a govt program after so many attacks here. They fly over water all day.
Regards Darren

I wold also recommend getting some ND PL Filters. If its going to be very sunny I would get a ND 32 PL or maybe even a ND 64 PL.

I went with Polar Pro and have 0 regrets. Extremely fast shipping and very nice product. Below is a chart for recommended usage and a thread i made with some helpful videos about the different filters.

how do i print screen
Need Help Picking Correct ND Filters
Mavic Pete please check out my latest question below , it’s super important and would be hugely grateful for your thought on what has happened and why? and is this common and how to avoid if possible. My mates new drone is on the bottom of the sea and he’s experienced with drone licence.. I explain in the comment below.
Thanks heaps

Sorry bud. I am not a crash analysis. There are definitely some other on here who could help. I would start a new thread. I have never had any problems like this with my mavic. Always on the latest firmware and never a problem or lost gps/connection. Did he have the setting for this scenario to return to home point? Sounds like he may have had it on hover in place. battery ran out, landed in ocean. Or his battery was low as he was out 800m, lost connection, drone started heading home, didnt have enough juice left in the battery and crash landed in the ocean 50m out.

few things to do:

If appropriate, Unlock the NFZ the morning before you go to the island, they are only good for 3 calendar days so if you unlock it the night before, you will loose an entire day.

I was able to enable 2 consecutive three day periods for the yellow zone around my local airport (Bullhead/Laughlin International). I seem to remember reading you can stack three day periods but I am not 100% certain.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy