DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

removing lens filter

ruggb

Reactions
What is the trick to remove the supplied lens filter from a Zoom?
I am familiar with how filters stick, but this one seems glued on.
Twist ccw, push down and twist ccw. Nothing works.

What is the trick to remove the supplied lens filter from a Zoom?
I am familiar with how filters stick, but this one seems glued on.
Twist ccw, push down and twist ccw. Nothing works.

Have not tried yet but.... Threaded. Just loosened it. Counterclockwise and it was quite tight. As suggested in the video, don't apply too much pressure (squeeze) as it is thin and will deflect making it harder to turn). I used latex gloves. The worse, is you get the feeling that you are going to ruin the gimbal

Last edited:
thanks-I printed a 22mm wrench and finally got it off. Could not have done it without it.

yes I tried all of that. As tight as it was, I understand why only the wrench worked.

For anyone else who is trying to remove a Mavic 2 Zoom filter, the first time you remove it is the hardest time. It is siliconed on and is hard to turn, Also, the threads are quite fine, so when installing a new filter, align it carefully so you dont cross thread it.

Reactions: ff22
For anyone else who is trying to remove a Mavic 2 Zoom filter, the first time you remove it is the hardest time. It is siliconed on and is hard to turn, Also, the threads are quite fine, so when installing a new filter, align it carefully so you dont cross thread it.
don't think mine was siliconed on, just screwed very tight

don't think mine was siliconed on, just screwed very tight

Take a look at the threads on the camera body next time you have the filter off. The silicone will be either clear or blue. Using silicone or other vibration inhibitor such as Loctite is necessary to prevent things from turning themselves loose.

As I wrote, the worst is the feeling you are going to rip the gimbal assembly off the drone!!!!

Reactions: Former Member
As I wrote, the worst is the feeling you are going to rip the gimbal assembly off the drone!!!!

That feeling is your common sense telling you to go easy on your $1300 drone. You build up an immunity to that fear once you have done a few hundred of them. ;)

I wonder if anyone sells such a wrench?

Have to look around.
I haven't seen one. I would sell u one but it cost more to ship than to print.
Probably $8-$10 total. I'll have to check out shipping.

Take a look at the threads on the camera body next time you have the filter off. The silicone will be either clear or blue. Using silicone or other vibration inhibitor such as Loctite is necessary to prevent things from turning themselves loose.
Don't see anything. Filter jamming is a common issue on any camera, but this was way over tight.

Reactions: Former Member
Don't see anything. Filter jamming is a common issue on any camera, but this was way over tight.

Yes, for good reason. DJI doesnt want their filters flying off the camera body during normal drone operation. Thats why they use sealant in addition to making it tight. Land cameras dont have to be strapped to a device that is trying to shake itself apart.

its only hard the first time - try putting on a rubber dish washing glove - you have to hold the camera body tight with the other hand - i found it easiest to flip the bird on its back on a table - aim the camera about 45 degrees up and 45 degrees sideways as it lets you get a good grip... you have to twist anticlockwise a fair bit harder than feels comfortable.

After that - the main issue is feeling like you're going to cross thread the bloody thing putting a filter back on.... and best to switch off when changing as i had a gimbal error from holding it while switching after i had turned her on.

m2z filter.jpg

Reactions: terence2
To remove filters from Zoom my wife purchased a $2 rubber material from the dollar store I cut a 2” Strip 6” long and carry it with me it worked great to remove the filters and replace them

Attachments

• A9578C85-1BB3-45F1-8C9E-A1E5134E62DF.jpeg
    A9578C85-1BB3-45F1-8C9E-A1E5134E62DF.jpeg
    728.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 5F6A185A-05C6-4718-BE7C-A71F50F88A51.jpeg
    5F6A185A-05C6-4718-BE7C-A71F50F88A51.jpeg
    823.3 KB · Views: 32
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online