DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Repair or Retire?

Robert Granata

Reactions
The MP I got Dec. 31, 2016 started getting random jello video about two weeks ago and it has gotten progressively worse until 2 days ago when it basically became unwatchable. I think it is probably the yaw gimbal motor. Everything else runs like new, but I have 5,800 miles and 430 flight hours on it, so I'm thinking it might just be time to retire it. Maybe some of the repair professionals on the board could chime in with their opinions.

P.S. Was hoping to wait for the Mavic 2, but I was jonesin' so bad I had a new Mavic Pro delivered today.

Reactions: Former Member
I'd replace the gimbal mount, first. It's cheap and simple, and it might just be the rubber is stretched and failing that is causing the jello effect. If you can't do DIY work, send it to Thunderdrones. If you fix the issue, the Mavic will have far more value than selling it as a "fix this please" drone.

I'd replace the gimbal mount, first. It's cheap and simple, and it might just be the rubber is stretched and failing that is causing the jello effect. If you can't do DIY work, send it to Thunderdrones. If you fix the issue, the Mavic will have far more value than selling it as a "fix this please" drone.
I get that this might be a simple repair, but I'm concerned it will just be the start the drone spending more time in air mail than in the air. And I hadn't planned on selling it. It would just be for friends or the grandkids when they visit.

I get that this might be a simple repair, but I'm concerned it will just be the start the drone spending more time in air mail than in the air. And I hadn't planned on selling it. It would just be for friends or the grandkids when they visit.
I vote for repair, I think you're our benchmark for how long this thing can last! 5800 miles is a lot!Thumbswayup

Last edited:
The MP I got Dec. 31, 2016 started getting random jello video about two weeks ago and it has gotten progressively worse until 2 days ago when it basically became unwatchable. I think it is probably the yaw gimbal motor. Everything else runs like new, but I have 5,800 miles and 430 flight hours on it, so I'm thinking it might just be time to retire it. Maybe some of the repair professionals on the board could chime in with their opinions.

P.S. Was hoping to wait for the Mavic 2, but I was jonesin' so bad I had a new Mavic Pro delivered today.

I would repair it bud. Shoot, it might be less than you think to repair and if you repair it, you would be able to sell it for considerable amount more.

Thanks for the reply. You are definitely the person I would send it to. Could you give your opinion on where this MP falls on the life expediency timeline of the Mavics you have seen?

As far as Im concerned, as long as the motors are running evenly, battery still takes a full charge, no error messages, it could really last hundreds more hours. DJI's brushless motors are really dependable, and their internal boards are made of high quality components. The gimbal is it's Achilles Heel, rubber bands need to be replaced, gimbal ribbon cables will fray over time.

As long as you take care of your equipment, it can last many years. I just sold my 1978 Volvo with 333,000 miles in great condition. Im typing this on a computer that is 8 years old.

I would repair it bud. Shoot, it might be less than you think to repair and if you repair it, you would be able to sell it for considerable amount more.
The cost of the repair wasn't the concern. I'm worried that with the amount of airtime and miles this will just be the start of repairs every month or so. I don't plan on selling it, working or not.

The cost of the repair wasn't the concern. I'm worried that with the amount of airtime and miles this will just be the start of repairs every month or so. I don't plan on selling it, working or not.

Which components are you concerned about? The only ones I would worry about are structural, or, as I said, propulsion oriented.

How are your arms folding? Still have spring in them?
Rear landing feet still intact?
Any bent or broken front legs?
Are you using 1 battery or a few different ones?
Fins on the heat sink still straight?
All systems operating without any error messages?

Which components are you concerned about? The only ones I would worry about are structural, or, as I said, propulsion oriented.

How are your arms folding? Still have spring in them?
Rear landing feet still intact?
Any bent or broken front legs?
Are you using 1 battery or a few different ones?
Fins on the heat sink still straight?
All systems operating without any error messages?
I was most concerned about propulsion components.
I use a 5 battery rotation, currently using batteries 7-12
Everything else is like new. No error messages. No crashes.

Am filling out the repair order now.

If it's for visitors, why not just sell it and buy a cheaper drone for them, that way it's less of a loss if they damage it. Buying a P3 for $300-400 is way less of a loss than losing $1,000 worth of Mavic, no matter how much money you have. You could even get an Aton so they could have a fun drone to fly.

If it's for visitors, why not just sell it and buy a cheaper drone for them, that way it's less of a loss if they damage it. Buying a P3 for $300-400 is way less of a loss than losing $1,000 worth of Mavic, no matter how much money you have. You could even get an Aton so they could have a fun drone to fly.
Grandkids (teenagers) already love flying the MP when they visit. They would make me fly the cheap one.

Grandkids (teenagers) already love flying the MP when they visit. They would make me fly the cheap one.

If he's getting random jello effect, might be hard to sell and get alot less money for it.

You sound like a good grandpa.

Robert, what did you end up doing with the mavic Pro? Was it fixed and what was the cost?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk