DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Repeat same aerial shot once a week, annually, for my own timelapse sequence

ff22

Reactions
Okay, looking for ideas to get the drone in the exact (or as close as possible) some location, elevation and orientation so that I can create an annual timelapse of weekly changes.

Would the new Waypoint feature allow just ONE waypoint and will it achieve the same elevation, location and camera orientation, so that it can be repeated week after week?

Or other ideas to achieve the result?

Bare in mind that to you are going to take the shot once EVERY day for a year to get 14 seconds of video at 25fps

and the difference between each frame could be quite jarring
Or are you going for more of a slideshow?

Bare in mind that to you are going to take the shot once EVERY day for a year to get 14 seconds of video at 25fps

and the difference between each frame could be quite jarring
Or are you going for more of a slideshow?

The idea just came up last night - a friend actually suggested it.

Probably more of a slide show. But even it edited together into a video, one could pause on each image for a brief time before moving on to the next.

Reactions: Former Member
Would the new Waypoint feature allow just ONE waypoint and will it achieve the same elevation, location and camera orientation, so that it can be repeated week after week?
Waypoints 2.0 requires at least two waypoints to be added. You could set the first waypoint on the way to the second waypoint (the point you really want) and then set the drone to stop and hover at the end of the mission.

Reactions: ff22
Make it a timelapse but, with 1 second or 0.70 seconds interval each when you are post editing those pictures.
I would advise you getting everyday you can in every week as some weeks you might not be able to fly then you have at least the previous day or next day shot in case you have bad weather or some sort.

The closer to your home you do this the better for logistics sake of course.

These kind of shots usually get us too tired because they become too repetitive.

So stay focused and motivated.

Make it a timelapse but, with 1 second or 0.70 seconds interval each when you are post editing those pictures.
I would advise you getting everyday you can in every week as some weeks you might not be able to fly then you have at least the previous day or next day shot in case you have bad weather or some sort.

The closer to your home you do this the better for logistics sake of course.

These kind of shots usually get us too tired because they become too repetitive.

So stay focused and motivated.

I was thinking of getting that wet suit outfit since I live in a somewhat less than dry location - Seattle.

I use Litchi and would set at least 3 waypoints:
  1. Above launch point to pause and set focus
  2. At desired position to take photo
  3. Above launch point to return to launch if connection with RC is lost.
I have not used the new Go 4 waypoints mode but if it could do the above then Litchi would not be needed.

Reactions: Former Member
Okay, looking for ideas to get the drone in the exact (or as close as possible) some location, elevation and orientation so that I can create an annual timelapse of weekly changes.

Or other ideas to achieve the result?

My suggestion would be to shoot a short timelapse on each flight. It will make for a smoother more engaging video to transition from one clip to the next rather than a slideshow of still images. Make sure there's something consistent in the frame that you can line up with. Keep in mind that differences in the sky/clouds/exposure is probably the biggest challenge in making a smooth visual, so attempt uniformity in that regard. On the other hand, if the sky looks interesting on any particular day, shoot it. Clouds are never uniform day to day, but a dramatic sky can make the best imagery. Redundancy is an imperative for a lengthy project timeline. You want a lot of imagery from which to choose for your editing.

Additionally, you may also do each as a sliding shot between 2 (stored) waypoints. Moving video clips will create additional drama to the changing of seasons.

Reactions: Tiago_Wolf and ff22
My suggestion would be to shoot a short timelapse on each flight. It will make for a smoother more engaging video to transition from one clip to the next rather than a slideshow of still images. Make sure there's something consistent in the frame that you can line up with. Keep in mind that differences in the sky/clouds/exposure is probably the biggest challenge in making a smooth visual, so attempt uniformity in that regard. On the other hand, if the sky looks interesting on any particular day, shoot it. Clouds are never uniform day to day, but a dramatic sky can make the best imagery. Redundancy is an imperative for a lengthy project timeline. You want a lot of imagery from which to choose for your editing.

Additionally, you may also do each as a sliding shot between 2 (stored) waypoints. Moving video clips will create additional drama to the changing of seasons.

Thanks for the great suggestions. I'm in the Other Washington. And the clouds are always uniform - gray and opaque! (g)

Thanks for the great suggestions. I'm in the Other Washington. And the clouds are always uniform - gray and opaque! (g)
Clouds are more dramatic than a clear sky. Shooting a time lapse raw allows a lot of latitude for color grading, especially if you use Lightroom.

Clouds give the sky character.

I was going to make a crack about not living here 40 years but you do live here - I miss huge cumulus clouds. I imagine they are up there now behind the falling snow!

I hope there's still snow in the morning on the ground and trees but not falling so I can get some shots.

ff: I admire your determination!

I used to wash cars outside in the Ohio winters but after living in the south for forty plus years, FIFTY degrees is too cold for this old geezer to fly. :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki