DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Replacement" Mavic 2 Pro has exact same error as the one I sent in for service after crash

iamsmarkus

Reactions
So, a few weeks ago I crashed my Mavic 2 Pro into our fence, because it didn't really behave at start as it should - it went forward instead of up. Don't know if there was some sensor disturbance or whatever, doesn't matter now. I did have the care protection so I sent it in for repair two weeks ago.

Last week they sent it back, it was in just for a day at DJI, and they said they sent me a replacement unit.

Arrived today and I unpack. I take it for a flight. And it behaves exactly the same way as the drone I sent in: Gimbal malfunction. Even after calibration and firmware update the gimbal is not straight with the horizon (sorry, English is my second language so I am not sure I am explaining that correctly). The horizon is tilted either to the left or the right. When I pan it goes like in a wave form, and you never know if it will be tilted left or right, or maybe even straight after a pan. And sometimes when the drone is completely still in the air the gimbal is slightly moving up and down. Same thing before I sent it to service, same thing with this "replacement" unit.

So, did DJI send me back the drone I sent them, replaced the serial numbers with new ones and charged me the fee, and did nothing with it? Something strange going on here because it feels pretty improbably I would have received a different drone with the exact same error.

Especially because, before I sent it in, on top of the gimbal issues it had some erratic flight behavior after the crash. If I flew it straight up or down it sort of waved back and forth and lost the starting position. This never happened to me before the crash. And this "replacement" unit does the exact same thing.

I seriously feel scammed at the moment. I've contacted their tech support and they've promised to help me but I think this is sort of unacceptable, if this is what they've done.

What are your opinions? How would you react?

Attaching a couple of photos of how it looks like when I fly and pan the drone.

Attachments

• DJI-NEW CASE-20200615-photo2.png
    DJI-NEW CASE-20200615-photo2.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 62
  • DJI-NEW CASE-20200615-photo.png
    DJI-NEW CASE-20200615-photo.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 62
So, a few weeks ago I crashed my Mavic 2 Pro into our fence, because it didn't really behave at start as it should - it went forward instead of up. Don't know if there was some sensor disturbance or whatever, doesn't matter now. I did have the care protection so I sent it in for repair two weeks ago.

Last week they sent it back, it was in just for a day at DJI, and they said they sent me a replacement unit.

Arrived today and I unpack. I take it for a flight. And it behaves exactly the same way as the drone I sent in: Gimbal malfunction. Even after calibration and firmware update the gimbal is not straight with the horizon (sorry, English is my second language so I am not sure I am explaining that correctly). The horizon is tilted either to the left or the right. When I pan it goes like in a wave form, and you never know if it will be tilted left or right, or maybe even straight after a pan. And sometimes when the drone is completely still in the air the gimbal is slightly moving up and down. Same thing before I sent it to service, same thing with this "replacement" unit.

So, did DJI send me back the drone I sent them, replaced the serial numbers with new ones and charged me the fee, and did nothing with it? Something strange going on here because it feels pretty improbably I would have received a different drone with the exact same error.

Especially because, before I sent it in, on top of the gimbal issues it had some erratic flight behavior after the crash. If I flew it straight up or down it sort of waved back and forth and lost the starting position. This never happened to me before the crash. And this "replacement" unit does the exact same thing.

I seriously feel scammed at the moment. I've contacted their tech support and they've promised to help me but I think this is sort of unacceptable, if this is what they've done.

What mode is your remote setup in Mode 1 up and down is on the right, Mode 2 up and down is on the left. You can change it in settings
Screenshot_20190717-235108.png

Reactions: Gindra
Watching to see if the stick mode is the issue here.
That would be my guess also.

It did not behave like this before the crash. And I use mode 3. It has nothing to do with mode.

It happens when I pan. I am not going up or down. It's in place and I pan. Gimbal tilts and stays in that position, as in the photos.

What mode is your remote setup in Mode 1 up and down is on the right, Mode 2 up and down is on the left. You can change it in settings
View attachment 104842

And if you for some reason are commenting on the accidents, which is not the point of the post, the Mavic 2 Pro is supposed to go up 1.2m when lifting off, right? I did not touch the sticks. Instead of going up 1.2m it went forward.

Have you tried a stick calibration?

I'll try again.

The drone did not behave like this before the crash. It was normal.

This behavior started after the crash. And then I get a "replacement" that behaves the exact same way.

is the gimbal in any way obstructed during take off. ie in grass?

No. And why would two different drones behave the exact same way, if it actually are two different ones? I've been flying my Mavic 2 Pro since Christmas plenty. I know how it behaves. I know how to set it up. It's not a technical issue that can be solved by adjusting settings. Already tried that before I got this back.

It crashed, and after that the gimbal has been faulty.

I think people seem to miss the point here. Sorry for taking up your time.

I've updated the firmware. I've calibrated all sensors. I've taken off at different places. I am a software engineer and programmer, I know how to look for bugs and errors in technical equipment.

The issue is not me or my remotes or my settings. The issue is DJI and me receiving a drone in return that has the exact same technical issue as the one I sent there to get repaired.

Reactions: Gindra
I've updated the firmware. I've calibrated all sensors. I've taken off at different places. I am a software engineer and programmer, I know how to look for bugs and errors in technical equipment.

The issue is not me or my remotes or my settings. The issue is DJI and me receiving a drone in return that has the exact same technical issue as the one I sent there to get repaired.

Send it back to DJI again, it's obviously a mechanical issue with the gimbal

Put a little mark on the bottom of one of the feet, so that you can check it's not the same AC being returned to you again

Reactions: iamsmarkus
Send it back to DJI again, it's obviously a mechanical issue with the gimbal

Put a little mark on the bottom of one of the feet, so that you can check it's not the same AC being returned to you again

Good idea! Thanks!

Same thing happened to me Gimbal goes haywire and drone does it's own thing. For me the problem was the lead from controler to phone I replaced the lead with a better quality one and it fixed the problem. I am now aware that if I see the gimbal move on takeoff I imediatly reef the lead out of the controler. I guess you will no that is a lead problem if you fly the drone with just the controler. If not, I am looking on with interest to see what the problem is.
Good luck.

small horizon drift almost always happens, but it is OK only if drift is static and does not deteriorate dynamically. usually it would be caused by a defective accelerometer in the gimbal stabilization controller. what i had to do on both my drones is to run a gimbal calibration on the ground, get drone into the air, fly back and forth couple of times and then adjust gimbal horizon level my both drones needed only a minor offset, about of -2 or so, to get it leveled and it did NOT change since.

if horizon level changes every flight it means the gimbal controller is not functioning correctly.

i think this is the relevant video:

Reactions: manowar_gub
Doing that with two different Controllers is a puzzler. I sent my Mavic air in with controller complaints. Lots of complaints actually and they wouldn't be repeated on every flight but they were all there for anyone to see. Also the gimbal control moved the drone just like the right stick at times but not all times. I finally sent it in and they replaced several components in the controller and sent back what appeared to be a brand new drone and a brand new controller. New serial numbers of course. It flew almost exactly like the old one????? My old drone was 18months old..this one was brand new..I had a heck of a time convincing myself to return it.
It's been under evaluation now for close to two weeks. I'm getting anxious to get it back..I hope they notice how many times I've clicked that case number in the support page.

Some time ago after I crashed I was given replacement aircraft from DJI Care, unfortunately, it had some gimbal failure (was wobbly on the horizon line). I sent it back (from the UK to NL) and when I got it back the issue was the same. After contacting them again and going through the same process I was told that no issue was found and my drone was sent back to me. The gimbal failure was still there and I had to go through the same process for the third time. Only after sending them video examples of gimbal not working correctly (with grid added), explaining I went through this few times and demanding to get new replacement unit this time I succeeded and got a brand new drone.
I was told a lot of things by many different people from DJI during this time. I am not blaming anyone but it was hard to persuade them there was a problem at all. In my case, it took many phone calls and emails until I was given what they owed me, which was a fully working device.
I think the replacement unit does not have to be new, but it certainly should be working properly.
Hope this will help.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan