DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Replacing my OG Mavic Pro

DomoDan

Reactions
So, unfortunately after many, many trips flying all over the world my Mavic Pro has unfortunately flown its last flight. You can read more here, but DJI wants $860 to fix it and that just doesn't make sense considering it's a 5 year old drone.

My question now is, what do I replace it with? I have a Skydio 2 that I use for follow me stuff, but the Skydio is pretty crappy to try and fly. It's great at following, but zero fun when you try and use the remote (or phone) to control it. I want to get a replacement DJI drone, but would like a general opinion on which model. Do I get the Air 2S or the Mavic 2 Pro? I don't fly it a ton, and when I do it's just for fun. Filming my kids doing something, looking at landscapes, whatever. I sometimes create vacation videos and what not, but certainly am not an avid photographer/videographer.

So do I get the Air 2S, the Mavic 2 Pro or wait and get the Mavic 3 Pro? Or something else? I appreciate any insight!

I upgraded from the Mavic Pro to the Air 2S and absolutely love it. If you want to save some money and you were happy with the Mavic Pro then I have a very low hour one for sale in the classifieds for $450 shipped anywhere in the CONUS.

Air 2 or Air 2s, still small, solid in the air, both have better filming / photo ability than the M1P, but not quite as flexible as the M2P.
That shouldn't worry you from the sounds of your needs, and the M2P has marginal benefit now over these.

As you have all your accessories and batteries etc for the M1P, and if you are happy with it for fun (it still is and I love to fly mine as my primary drone) then the deal above in post #2 is worth considering.

I upgraded from the Mavic Pro to the Air 2S and absolutely love it. If you want to save some money and you were happy with the Mavic Pro then I have a very low hour one for sale in the classifieds for $450 shipped anywhere in the CONUS.

I’ll be in touch - this is appealing.

Don't buy another Mavic Pro..... definitely move to newer tech. I have currently have an Air 2S and think its the best option at this time at retail but used Mavic Air 2 Fly more packages can be had at bargain prices and are still a huge upgrade.. You will be astounded at the range and capability of either of these models.

Don't buy another Mavic Pro..... definitely move to newer tech. I have currently have an Air 2S and think its the best option at this time at retail but used Mavic Air 2 Fly more packages can be had at bargain prices and are still a huge upgrade.. You will be astounded at the range and capability of either of these models.
What works for one, doesn't work for others. I wouldn't say a Air 2S is "newer tech" it is the same technology just tweaked a bit. In fact it actually can't do what even a 3 year old M2 series can do or at least capable of. :)

While a Mavic Pro is a older airframe it has HUGE options for those who understand what is available to owners, and those options are not now or may ever be available to newer DJI Products.

One must weigh the OP's use or future use. Wallet purchase is subjective and one can't argue that newer DJI products are bargains compared to older products, but let's not dismiss that older versions of DJI have a great value and broad spectrum of use to their buyers and owners IMHO.

If I could find a factory stock in the box Mavic Pro, I would buy it in a heartbeat over anything DJI has made in the last 2 years ;)

If I could find a factory stock in the box Mavic Pro, I would buy it in a heartbeat over anything DJI has made in the last 2 years ;)

Interesting - do you mind me asking why? I’m really tempted to just buy the one referenced above, or find another used one and snag it. It really was a great drone, and did everything I wanted it to (I use the Skydio for “follow me” recordings so I’m not bothered that the Mavic sucks at this).

What works for one, doesn't work for others. I wouldn't say a Air 2S is "newer tech" it is the same technology just tweaked a bit. In fact it actually can't do what even a 3 year old M2 series can do or at least capable of. :)

While a Mavic Pro is a older airframe it has HUGE options for those who understand what is available to owners, and those options are not now or may ever be available to newer DJI Products.

One must weigh the OP's use or future use. Wallet purchase is subjective and one can't argue that newer DJI products are bargains compared to older products, but let's not dismiss that older versions of DJI have a great value and broad spectrum of use to their buyers and owners IMHO.

I stand by my post. You can make an argument for the Mavic 2 Pro and the Mavic 2 Zoom but the Mavic Pro is all but obsolete... old batteries, old sensors, shorter range, more transmission issues. If I had a good one I would probably keep flying it, and the OP has all the accessories so it might have some merit to buy another one cheap but his original question asked if he should buy a Air 2s or a Mavic 2 Pro.

The Air 2s is a great platform.... long range and signal, big sensor for great images, and batteries that you can afford.

Interesting - do you mind me asking why? I’m really tempted to just buy the one referenced above, or find another used one and snag it. It really was a great drone, and did everything I wanted it to (I use the Skydio for “follow me” recordings so I’m not bothered that the Mavic sucks at this).
Two reasons...hackable/full third party support and Go 4 App...add in tried, tested and bullet proof for icing on the cake. Basically it was the last "Drone" DJI made that you have complete control of on the cheap. Yes you can modify a M2 series, but she ain't cheap to do so now..

You are a below average user from your own reports, you don't need any more range than you fly now, I mean 4 miles is plenty, even that is overkill for most . Your camera output probably suits you fine and your computer and editing software at present (You probably "film" in 1080?), and you can buy 2 batteries for the price of 1 of a MA2.

Last edited:
Reactions: MaviCam
As Repaid1 said.... your current usage doesn't need cutting edge tech so I definitely wouldn't wait for the elusive Mavic 3. But you also don't need to hack an older drone or use third party apps for the same reason. The DJI FLY app is plenty good and getting better all the time for the type of footage you say you want to capture.

Transmission range is a different thing. The incredible range available to the Mavic 2 series and the Air & Air 2S mean rock solid signal wherever you go, even in urban environments that sap your signal and in areas with lots of obstruction. A mile of signal is all most of us really need but it should be the most robust signal you can get to counter dropouts that endanger the drone and ruin our video. You have probably encountered this with your Mavic Pro and if you use your Skydio with a controller you have definitely experienced dropouts.

The camera sensor in the Mavic Pro lags way behind the Mavic Air 2, the Air 2S and the Mavic Pro 2. At the same given light, images are darker and have less detail in the Mavic Pro... this will particularly show up in the morning, evening and overcast days. The Mavic Pro can produce great images but requires more care to achieve those images when conditions are not great.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998