DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rescue helicopter escapes disaster at Hospital after drone

I sued a reporter and paper as she (I suppose I won’t name names) not only totally misquoted me but added a few very controversial and potentially volatile statements that I never said. In reference to our NYC police Cheif whom I treated emergently. I was about to be degloved by administration. I was put on paid suspension! She wouldn’t retract it. It involved alcoholism, not on my part. Hospital lawyers handled it well. They make the news,Misleading, and bold faced lies, fabricating the true weaved in with untrue. (that’s by far the very worst). I have a binder full of articles of jobs I was on that that reported falsely.

Glad you got through that and other incidents ok then.
Paid suspension !

I guess that's why many when dealing with the media keep if simple / safe, and say "no comment !"

Reactions: ATW and Droniac

Rescue helicopter dodges disaster as drone flies perilously close to hospital​

A rescue helicopter carrying a patient to Dunedin Hospital came perilously close to a drone.
An Otago rescue helicopter narrowly escaped disaster after a drone was flown just metres from its landing site.

This media coverage is just freaking ridiculous!!!! There is absolutely no data to reflect this type of fear mongering.

with so much else to report on they take a story and run with lies to again make things seem to be the end of the world/sky is falling once again. Should drone have been there? Certainly not, was there a drone actually there...who knows?? Gatwick Airport anyone????

This type of sensationalism in reporting is just nuts made just for a read. No Facts it's like a National Enquirer tabloid special. It never ends and feeds the ignorant who unfortunately tend to make up the rules. How the heck did it Dodge disaster when it was already landed? Narrowly escaped disaster??? Really? Given what data..the three known drone helicopter/Drone encounters with no such outcome? So we have Data that shows what? Foolishness at its best.
Thank you for expressing my thoughts exactly.

Reactions: ATW
On “jobs” I was in most NY newspapers. Long Island NEWSDAY, and others rarely get the situation correctly. In fact take great liberties in the making of the news to be story worthy. I sued a reporter and paper as she (I suppose I won’t name names) not only totally misquoted me but added a few very controversial and potentially volatile statements that I never said. In reference to our NYC police Cheif whom I treated emergently. I was about to be degloved by administration. I was put on paid suspension! She wouldn’t retract it. It involved alcoholism, not on my part. Hospital lawyers handled it well. They make the news,Misleading, and bold faced lies, fabricating the true weaved in with untrue. (that’s by far the very worst). I have a binder full of articles of jobs I was on that that reported falsely. Strange scrap book I know but it leaves me, still with my mouth hung open and shake my head. This has been my personal and shared experience. Statements during my career, on the whole, were either magnified or often minimized! Sorry for the ramble. But it hit a nerve. -Godspeed. For many years I do not listen to the news. I get a 5 things you need to know today from CNN. ??

Thank you for expressing my thoughts exactly.

Main stream media hates the truth.
Lies sell better ad spots, and draw in the gullible sheeple viewers so much more.

Reactions: Droniac
Down here in sunny Queensland...... Helipads at Hospitals are classed as controlled airfield so the no-fly zone is 5.5km from there. I am 3km from the local hospital and my DJI Mavic Mini will not take off!

That's odd, my bothers place is about 800m direct line from Logan Hospital at Loganlea, a major centre with helipad that gets occasional use.
The various apps all say (said) ok to fly, but land if you become aware of manned aircraft etc etc.

It USED to have a altitude limit on the before you fly app, think it was 45m (can't recall precisely), but that was removed to the above warning for an uncontrolled airport.
From memory, DJI had no geofencing or altitude limit on flights.

If I fly at his place, sometimes to take a bit of video / photos of his place, then I stay at tree top heights and within his property boundaries so I can keep alert for anything incoming.
Testing for updates etc before going out, and maybe just ensure all flying good, I'd take it up and stay below tree level.

Haven't visited / flown up there for about 18 months, so maybe apps / DJI geo has changed, but OpenSky still says ok, even right up to the hospital itself !! :oops:

OpenSky1.jpg

OpenSky2.jpg

Of course no one should fly anywhere near that close, but CASA still classify most heliports as uncontrolled airports as far as I'm aware.

Thats a great example of how DJI is getting stricter & stricter with their updates.....
Soon DJI will make it soo you can only fly your drone 25 feet up and 50 feet distance...
But instead of the authorities coming down on these idiots with severe sentences as they should, like a couple of weeks free board etc, they give them a slap on the wrist then introduce more draconian legislation and make life more difficult for the 99.9% of us responsible enthusiasts!

If the OPERATOR of the UAS was within VLOS he/she would have seen and HEARD the helicopter come in and land. It's not like they come in quietly, land quickly, and go silent. If you're anywhere in the vicinity you'll hear and see the helicopter.
I will definitely agree to this. My home in Florida is just over a mile from a hospital helipad. There is no mistake when a chopper is inbound or outbound from the pad. I fly near the pad fairly often, but am always vigilant of air traffic. You get at least 90 seconds worth of warning when one is inbound and a bit more if they are outbound. All you need to do is drop below obstacle level or land . The arrangement of the helipad and surrounding buildings keeps the chopper at least 150 feet AGL until they are above the pad and landing.

Reactions: MA2 317 and Droniac
Down here in sunny Queensland...... Helipads at Hospitals are classed as controlled airfield so the no-fly zone is 5.5km from there. I am 3km from the local hospital and my DJI Mavic Mini will not take off!
Here in sunny florida USA, we have no such rule. We are just told not to fly near them. No specific distance is specified. We can still take off, but I don't have any desire to put my drone or a manned aircraft or patient at risk or delay in treatment.

I fly DJI and Autel Evil 2s. :)

P.S. I hate Newspapers and News stations. I have been made to look like a nut case in one of their articles, so has a member of my family. The lies these news people spread are immense. This idea of "FAKE NEWS" is a very real problem for all of humanity. People are making decisions and coming up with opinions based on lies. They (news) need to be held way more accountable for their statements.

These occurrences were away from the net. JFK crash was (although almost near the end of the land strip) in water
the 1st crash was off Kennedy airport in the Atlantic. The 2nd was
the 1st crash was off Kennedy airport in the Atlantic. The 2nd was off oyster bay Long Island en route to Kennedy airport. 3rd whelp the twin towers I think we all know. Helicopters were dominating the sky obviously. Fire uses Drones readily from my understanding. Been a while since off the streets. I just know getting that perfect shot is awesome. Time and place for everything. Common sense type stuff? Then read papers in the morning and they left a lot out. Lol. All emergency response pulled in to get on it. I was called in from the city as it was on the border. First thing ... I know... sigh. Everyone basically headed in. Nobody thought about egress. What a cluster (fill in blank). Papers didn’t speak much of that part. ??

But instead of the authorities coming down on these idiots with severe sentences as they should, like a couple of weeks free board etc, they give them a slap on the wrist then introduce more draconian legislation and make life more difficult for the 99.9% of us responsible enthusiasts!
Here here! ??

Here here! ??
Here Here? I hope you not referring to this thread. The Emergency Copter landed before the drone even became noticed. Anyway, Did you all see the thread where they impacted a Mavic 2 PRO against the windshield of a car at 60 miles an hour or 96 km per hour. The drone got shredded, the windshield didn't break. Drones are more at risk of death in a motor vehicle accident than people apparently.

As in I agree with you. Obviously. Sorry for misunderstanding
No worries. I just fear the possibility of being on the receiving end of the governments wrath. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, no matter the circumstances, unless the infraction was blatant terrorism or something.

I was reading today, friday your time they aren't going to change him. are you from ChCh
From Timaru, 1/2 way between Christchurch and Dunedin

Did you all see the thread where they impacted a Mavic 2 PRO against the windshield of a car at 60 miles an hour or 96 km per hour. The drone got shredded, the windshield didn't break.
That's because car windscreens are made of toughened glass. Helicopter windscreens, on the other hand, are generally made of plexiglass and can be damaged by a small bird. Whilst the risk to crew and passengers from a birdstrike/dronestrike could be significant, it's the danger of it hitting the main or tail rotor which is potentially much more serious.

I really think *disaster* is being used as an un-necessay scare word. 20 meters..hmmmm, I suspect the rotor wash from the helicopter would completely over whelm the handling of the drone and blow it to smithereens.
So maybe it wasn't 20 meters...more like 200?

In any case, someone flying a drone that close to a heliport is an idiot. No other way to put it.

Reactions: ATW and Droniac
That's because car windscreens are made of toughened glass. Helicopter windscreens, on the other hand, are generally made of plexiglass and can be damaged by a small bird. Whilst the risk to crew and passengers from a birdstrike/dronestrike could be significant, it's the danger of it hitting the main or tail rotor which is potentially much more serious.
I guess a heli needs to limit its weight as much as possible, thus the flimsy wind screens. Yes? I have a feeling , if a drone hit the main rotor of a heli, the heli would perform an emergency landing as a precaution, but wouldn't suffer much damage as the drone would be shredded pretty easily, except maybe a big hexa copter or something. As far as the tail rotor, I would imagine serious problems if a drone hit that part of a heli. But think of the odds. The odds of a drone striking a tail rotor of a heli would be like the odds of winning the lottery. Sad to say, I haven't won the lottery yet. Anyway, I believe it is unwise to get near any helicopter in flight. They are too unpredictable and just fly too low too often. I avoid helicopters like the plague, oh excuse me, the Corona virus.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4