DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rescue helicopter escapes disaster at Hospital after drone

Sorry, but what hyperbole. “Disaster was nearly averted”?

The only thing we actually know is that after the helicopter was on the ground they saw a drone 20m away. Disaster was NOT nearly adverted. They don’t even know if the drone was in the air at the same time the helicopter was in the air.

Headlines get clicks. Clicks get advertising revenue.

Best,

Math.
Do you know how long it takes to close a 20m distance between two aircraft? It doesn't take much to damage a rotor on a chopper. On the ground, not too bad, but under 1200 ft, and you stand to lose auto rotation capabilities.

Reactions: Droniac
While I couldn't agree more that any unauthorized flight near commercial or civilian air operations is a definite no, the headline on this story are totally spun. There was no accident. The piolet didn't even know the drone was present, just like the errant drone piolet likely didn't know the helicopter was present. It is very unlikely that much of anything life threatening would have occurred even if there would have been contact. Likely the largest threat would be from pilot distraction. The sky is a very large place. Birds don't obey traffic regulations.
Pure Bull from the media - even the pilot and observer stated that there was no danger to the aircraft or patient

Reactions: ATW and Droniac
I agree with you. There's absolutely reason this bozo should have been flying that close to a hospital helipad, period. It's illegal here, and I'm assuming the same is true in your country. I hope they catch the guy and prosecute him (or her).

Monte Olsen
Eugene, OR

That's because car windscreens are made of toughened glass.

Not quite any longer.

Older classic era cars used to have toughened / tempered windscreens, and side / rear glass.
Would break into thousands of relatively harmless (try telling that to your bare feet though !!) particles, not capable of cutting arteries etc.
Very hard to break though, like it can take multiple hammer blows, edges more susceptible to impact, but covered in a vehicle build of course.

Modern vehicles all have laminated glass, easier to break, but holds together if broken by impact.
Usually glancing impacts on cars, so seem relatively suited for this use, though star cracks from stones etc are a main issue.

Side and rear glasses are usually still toughened, but some euro models are moving to side laminated glass too.

Perspex (or more likely polycarbonate) in the heli windows (and many aircraft windows) are very strong in the curved shapes.
Almost impossible to break apart from a very strong hammer blow, or frozen chickens shot at it :)
UV light damages it more readily than glass though, so after some 10 years perhaps it could become a lot more likely to shatter / dull / craze.

Reactions: ATW and Droniac
Not quite any longer.

Older classic era cars used to have toughened / tempered windscreens, and side / rear glass.
Would break into thousands of relatively harmless (try telling that to your bare feet though !!) particles, not capable of cutting arteries etc.
Very hard to break though, like it can take multiple hammer blows, edges more susceptible to impact, but covered in a vehicle build of course.

Modern vehicles all have laminated glass, easier to break, but holds together if broken by impact.
Usually glancing impacts on cars, so seem relatively suited for this use, though star cracks from stones etc are a main issue.

Side and rear glasses are usually still toughened, but some euro models are moving to side laminated glass too.

Perspex (or more likely polycarbonate) in the heli windows (and many aircraft windows) are very strong in the curved shapes.
Almost impossible to break apart from a very strong hammer blow, or frozen chickens shot at it :)
UV light damages it more readily than glass though, so after some 10 years perhaps it could become a lot more likely to shatter / dull / craze.
I’m glad during my hay day although we had tools, jaws etc. I used my elbow on side glass windows to gain access. It was always on me and it worked well. I don’t in fact teach this Neanderthal like technique. Lol. Although I would teach students to try opening the car door to reach a patient before wasting time busting through glass with or without laminate seal. -Godspeed

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I’m glad during my hay day although we had tools, jaws etc. I used my elbow on side glass windows to gain access. It was always on me and it worked well. I don’t in fact teach this Neanderthal like technique. Lol. Although I would teach students to try opening the car door to reach a patient before wasting time busting through glass with or without laminate seal. -Godspeed

We use protective boards and wedges to go down door glass to get our special bars down to do PDR (paintless dent repairs).
Have to check each model now especially euros, as laminated is getting far more common.
Toughened, no probs, can lever off the protected glass surface easily, never broken one (or lam) yet :)

Not quite any longer.

I’m glad during my hay day although we had tools, jaws etc. I used my elbow on side glass windows to gain access. It was always on me and it worked well. I don’t in fact teach this Neanderthal like technique. Lol. Although I would teach students to try opening the car door to reach a patient before wasting time busting through glass with or without laminate seal. -
We use protective boards and wedges to go down door glass to get our special bars down to do PDR (paintless dent repairs).
Have to check each model now especially euros, as laminated is getting far more common.
Toughened, no probs, can lever off the protected glass surface easily, never broken one (or lam) yet :)
interesting.

Perspex (or more likely polycarbonate) in the heli windows (and many aircraft windows) are very strong in the curved shapes. Almost impossible to break apart from a very strong hammer blow, or frozen chickens shot at it
In fixed wing aircraft, particularly larger ones, I'd agree. Helicopters (especially light helicopters) not so much. Some years ago I was doing a job which required 2 helicopters and necessitated remaining below 200ft because of the proximity of a busy airfield on the coast. I'd just got airborne to follow the other aircraft which was about a mile ahead and almost immediately after setting off I heard a mayday from the other aircraft. It was flying at about 90 kts when a seagull {the remains of which were later found on the back seat!) flew into the screen directly in front the pilot. The screen shattered and the bird, along with lots of pieces of plastic, hit the pilot, stunning him and causing some lacerations to his lower face - he was lucky to be wearing a helmet with the visor down or things could have been a lot worse. Even more fortunate, he had a qualified pilot in the other seat who was able to take control and carry out a forced landing. It was quite a small seagull but the damage to the cockpit windscreen was extensive. I would imagine that most drones would be at least the same weight as the bird, if not more, and would have harder, sharper components which would probably do more damage.

Last edited:
In fixed wing aircraft, particularly larger ones, I'd agree. Helicopters (especially light helicopters) not so much. Some years ago I was doing a job which required 2 helicopters and necessitated remaining below 200ft because of the proximity of a busy airfield on the coast. I'd just got airborne to follow the other aircraft which was about a mile ahead and almost immediately after setting off I heard a mayday from the other aircraft. It was flying at about 90 kts when a seagull {the remains of which were later found on the back seat!) flew into the screen directly in front the pilot. The screen shattered and the bird, along with lots of pieces of plastic, hit the pilot, stunning him and causing some lacerations to his lower face - he was lucky to be wearing a helmet with the visor down or things could have been a lot worse. Even more fortunate, he had a qualified pilot in the other seat who was able to take control and carry out a forced landing. It was quite a small seagull but the damage to the cockpit windscreen was extensive. I would imagine that most drones would be at least the same weight as the bird, if not more, and would have harder, sharper components which would probably do more damage.
Dang! Harrowing event.

Yes there are tons of Scenarios. But those are just guesses, like what ifs, if you will, but no factual data, in fact the actual data is the opposite of reported. One can't go though life guessing and speculating. As far as rules that is the opposite of everything that at least the FAA has shown. There are literally hundreds of aircraft incidences annually none involving drones where there are no rules governing manned aviation craft that result in fatalities and severe injury. Yet they still are given less interest than the FAA is promoting to the "Drones" which to date have very little in injuries and no fatalities. IT just amazes me that the media gets away with such stories. At what point do we know that had this drone been on scene or close and waited till it landed and just rose over a wall nearby and popped up? Certainly a huge mistake and should be punished, but to speculate a what if and turn it into peril?

Again I don't condone such actions, but we already have rules and regulations for such action, there is no need for any more as apparently we are headed for. Rules are for the law abiding and don't seem to ever apply to those who wish to do what they want. They serve only as a deterrent and some wish to challenge even that. It is just the fear mongering that I take issue with I guess, it isn't helping our cause and record as the one highest form of aviation with a near 100% saftey record sans two (That I have heard) r/c heli incidences resulting in fatalities and given the amount of flights globally done daily with these little fun flying gizmos, I think we should be given the earned credit deserved. Oh well...enough venting nothing will change, well except our hobby with such reporting. Good day to all :)

Shouldn't surprise anyone that the news trumps up stories to get ratings. A director from a major media company here in the U.S. was just caught on hidden mike admitting just that when it came to stories of a particular politician. But I've known this for some time now so I don't bother to watch the news and choose instead to find the actual dialog they are reporting on. If the news says a politician just said, "blah blah blah," I go pull up one of the dozens of unedited videos of the speech and watch it for myself. You'd be surprised just how horribly the aforementioned organization lies. A good share of the time their reporting is so far removed from the truth that one wonders why they are still in business. If the drone wasn't spotted until "AFTER" the helicopter landed, how do they know that it wasn't on the ground until the helicopter touched down and only when that happened did the drone took to the air? It seems like that is just as plausible as the way it was reported, and basically assumed. I understand that a lot of med choppers take to the sky minutes after unloading the patient, but you can clearly hear the engine power increase and if you take action as soon as you hear it, you should have time to land and be out of the way. That being said, why give the media or the hating public any more fuel to add to the fire?

I understand that there are times where flying near a hospital in a downtown area to grab pictures for your unique project is highly desirable or even required, but providing that flying there is otherwise legal, what does it hurt to call the hospital ahead of time and make sure you have a clear sky to get the shots you need? I know most of us are thinking of our personal experience of flying there and getting shots for our unique project, but we also need to be thinking about the hobby/business as a whole and how crummy it would be if too many careless flyers managed to convince authorities to close even more sky to us. Just a thought. This post shouldn't construed to mean that we should NOT fly in areas that might make people angry. If the FAA and the city your in allows the flight, by all means, fly there. Just do it with a modicum of decorum. The extra time you put into your preliminary flight planning by checking for legality of flying in that airspace and by informing those in the immediate that we are going to be doing x, y, and z, can only prove to the FAA and the public that we appreciate the areas they allow us to fly and prove to the public that we do consider their concerns and they have nothing to fear from us. Maybe even invite those people in the immediate area to come out and watch what we do. Who knows, you just might win them over to the hobby/business and that gives us one more advocate on our side.

almost immediately after setting off I heard a mayday from the other aircraft. It was flying at about 90 kts when a seagull {the remains of which were later found on the back seat!) flew into the screen directly in front the pilot.

90knots as in 103mph ?
Yeah that'll break a lot, and a seagull is a lot lighter / softer than a drone.

Could be too that the acrylic was perhaps aged a little, brittle, acrylic (Perspex) and polycarb are both very susceptible to UV damage, and helis spend a lot of time parked on tarmac or in the air (sun).

Sounds like it was more than a close call, probably could have caused a crash had any minor deviation lead to the pilot and copilot both being affected.

Thats a great example of how DJI is getting stricter & stricter with their updates.....
Soon DJI will make it soo you can only fly your drone 25 feet up and 50 feet distance...

Where I live local governments are slightly ahead of DJI. There is no way for a law abiding drone pilot to distinguish themselves from the fools.

Rescue helicopter dodges disaster as drone flies perilously close to hospital​

A rescue helicopter carrying a patient to Dunedin Hospital came perilously close to a drone.
An Otago rescue helicopter narrowly escaped disaster after a drone was flown just metres from its landing site.

This media coverage is just freaking ridiculous!!!! There is absolutely no data to reflect this type of fear mongering.

with so much else to report on they take a story and run with lies to again make things seem to be the end of the world/sky is falling once again. Should drone have been there? Certainly not, was there a drone actually there...who knows?? Gatwick Airport anyone????

This type of sensationalism in reporting is just nuts made just for a read. No Facts it's like a National Enquirer tabloid special. It never ends and feeds the ignorant who unfortunately tend to make up the rules. How the heck did it Dodge disaster when it was already landed? Narrowly escaped disaster??? Really? Given what data..the three known drone helicopter/Drone encounters with no such outcome? So we have Data that shows what? Foolishness at its best.
I have to agree, seems most of these so called “ close calls “ are nothing but BS. And the pilots overreacting trying to get attention. Also the fake news media having diarrhea of the mouth !!!

Reactions: jaswalt
ADS-B receiver is the simple answer to keep you away from other aircraft. The next step would be ADS-B OUT or transponders in drones. I don't care who thinks the results of a crash with an aircraft would be insignificant - if I'm flying a small plane or helicopter I don't want to worry about a drone anywhere near me. I really thought transponders and radio communications would be the answer for professional use of drones in congested airspace, just like we do when doing photo shoots in helicopters. Maybe one day it will come to that. Some of the drones I've used are very large flying my full size DSLR's. It would certainly be no joke to hit an aircraft with that. Once these clowns who break the laws are prosecuted enough, hopefully they will fade away.

Reactions: jaswalt and Droniac
ADS-B receiver is the simple answer to keep you away from other aircraft. The next step would be ADS-B OUT or transponders in drones.
ADS-B In can help identify aircraft in controlled airspace, but ADS-B Out is not required in Class G airspace by all aircraft. It was already determined that ADS-B Out on drones would not be feasible as it would greatly overload the present system.

More education is the key to maintaining order in the NAS. Sitting in the cockpit does not give you any more right to the airspace than me flying an sUAS, I only have to yield right of way to you if we are in the same area. What would you consider an acceptable avoidance distance?

ADS-B In can help identify aircraft in controlled airspace, but ADS-B Out is not required in Class G airspace by all aircraft. It was already determined that ADS-B Out on drones would not be feasible as it would greatly overload the present system.

More education is the key to maintaining order in the NAS. Sitting in the cockpit does not give you any more right to the airspace than me flying an sUAS, I only have to yield right of way to you if we are in the same area. What would you consider an acceptable avoidance distance?
If the ADS-B Out were somehow limited to flights in critical areas, it may not overload the system. Something you only turn on when you get a clearance to fly. It could be only for professional flights above a certain altitude, like 200'. Below that it's off. Obviously it's an extreme solution but it would be nice to be able to fly in congested areas, near airports with the same awareness that you have in a full size aircraft. Acceptable distances are the same for any aircraft. Down low it's visual separation by the pilots with the help of controllers when possible. Without a transponder or ADS-B Out the controllers can't help.

That's because car windscreens are made of toughened glass. Helicopter windscreens, on the other hand, are generally made of plexiglass and can be damaged by a small bird. Whilst the risk to crew and passengers from a birdstrike/dronestrike could be significant, it's the danger of it hitting the main or tail rotor which is potentially much more serious.

Actually the opposite is true. Car windshields are Fragile glass, while a helicopter has a strong plastic windshield, special built to take large impacts.

I should add that my uncle owns helicopters, and he flies them to, as do some cousins and friends of mine. Also as an equipment operator myself, where there is a danger of large rocks or other items hitting the weak glass windows of equipment, to protect us operators many pieces of equipment have metal channels in front of the windshield, where we slide in a piece of plexiglass the same as used in helicopter windows, to stop any rocks, steel, trees etc. It is extremely strong, and almost impossible to break.

Actually the opposite is true. Car windshields are Fragile glass, while a helicopter has a strong plastic windshield, special built to take large impacts.
I should add that my uncle owns helicopters, and he flies them to, as do some cousins and friends of mine. Also as an equipment operator myself, where there is a danger of large rocks or other items hitting the weak glass windows of equipment, to protect us operators many pieces of equipment have metal channels in front of the windshield, where we slide in a piece of plexiglass the same as used in helicopter windows, to stop any rocks, steel, trees etc. It is extremely strong, and almost impossible to break.
here’s my 1 cent as my knowledge of this can fit into thimble. But most all parts of cars are meant to “give” at some point. Hence the plastics the vehicles are made with in cooperation with industry standards. But on a car the plastic sheets on the windshield glass I understood was to prevent flying shards, etc. and of course they do. Hitting your head (not wearing seatbelt) into a windshield in or out of a vehicle is a bad end result period. But the windshield on a helicopter, I would think would have to intensely strong for obvious reasons? I saw the “edge” with sir Anthony Hopkins. When colliding with birds in the small fixed wing, They had feathers in their mouths. (I understand about them stoping the engines.). Just unforgettable scene. Lol.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes