DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Resilient!

pmf

Reactions
I’m a rookie to drone flying getting my first, M2P, in October of last year.

In learning to fly I’ve tried to be extra careful about where I am flying and how I am handling the controls.
That worked well until New Year’s Eve 2018.

I was scouting a flight area to capture the firework displays famous in Holland at New Year’s. I launched from my balcony that overlooks a narrow pond with a stand of trees on the other side.
After my scout flight I was bringing the drone back in for retrieval. I leveled it out to come onto the balcony but made a mistake with the sticks.
With the camera facing me I pulled back on the right stick thinking I was bringing it in when in fact I pushed it backwards, into small tree branches where it got hung up over the pond.
Of course I knew immediately the mistake I had made and had a sick feeling in my stomach for being so stupid, but what was done was done and with darkness coming on there was nothing I could do but watch the battery drain and the LEDs wink out.

The next morning I went over to the trees and found that the drone was hung up about 10m above the pond. I got a hold of a 5m long pole and attached a fishnet to the end, climbed up the tree and was able to snag the drone in the net. Except when the net took the weight the whole contraption rotated and the drone ended up in the pond. Image what a golfer must feel like when he watches his championship winning putt lip out of the 18th hole, that’s how I felt.

So, what was a rescue mission from a tree was now a fishing expedition. The water in the pond is between 0.5 and 1m deep, but there is a very thick layer of soft mud on the bottom. Two mornings later I put on chest high waders and with a grappling hook on the end of a pole and a friend with a rake on the end of a long pole we were able to dredge the drone up.
Surprisingly, the LED on the battery winked on when pressed and I was able to retrieve the contents of the SD card. So, we put the drone in a sink with warm water and mild dish washing liquid and gave it a thorough rinsing, dried it off, and put it in a warm laundry closet.

After about a week, I took it out, put a fresh battery on and powered it up. To my surprise, and delight, all the functions seemed to be working properly: connection to the controller, gimbal movements, camera (test photos and videos) and rotors (without blades). I was able to update to the newest firmware with no problems.
I also charged up the battery that got dunked and the cell levels checkout even. However, after a full charge I found several hours later that the LED was blinking rapidly so I decided to keep it out of the house and dispose of it at the local battery disposal center.

Between travelling and awful weather periods I was not able to take it out to an open area and see how it would handle in flight until this morning. With a new set of props it took off flawlessly and responded normally to all flight commands and landed safely. So, I have to report on how impressed I am with the resilience of the engineering of this craft. I was able to recover from a stupid error with only the cost of a battery and a new set of props, and a very valuable lesson on always beings aware of what I am doing with the flight controls and why.

What a wonderful change to read a story like yours! I lost an M1P so I know the feeling but we almost never hear of someone submerging their Mavic for days in water only to dry it out and have it work perfectly. I'm SO glad you lucked out. Almost certainly a good thing that it was fresh water.

I think you need to buy lottery tickets! After days submerged it worked. Amazing. Yes, I, too, have to learn that when the drone is coming back toward me, flight sticks need the reverse movements. Stay safe and DRY.

Yes, I, too, have to learn that when the drone is coming back toward me, flight sticks need the reverse movements. Stay safe and DRY.

When in a tight spot I turn my drones to face away from me when I get in close to a landing or hand catch; that way there is little chance for a mistake on stick direction.

Keep a close eye on it, water damage can cause problems long after the initial incident. Good luck!

I’m a rookie to drone flying getting my first, M2P, in October of last year.

In learning to fly I’ve tried to be extra careful about where I am flying and how I am handling the controls.
That worked well until New Year’s Eve 2018.

I was scouting a flight area to capture the firework displays famous in Holland at New Year’s. I launched from my balcony that overlooks a narrow pond with a stand of trees on the other side.
After my scout flight I was bringing the drone back in for retrieval. I leveled it out to come onto the balcony but made a mistake with the sticks.
With the camera facing me I pulled back on the right stick thinking I was bringing it in when in fact I pushed it backwards, into small tree branches where it got hung up over the pond.
Of course I knew immediately the mistake I had made and had a sick feeling in my stomach for being so stupid, but what was done was done and with darkness coming on there was nothing I could do but watch the battery drain and the LEDs wink out.

The next morning I went over to the trees and found that the drone was hung up about 10m above the pond. I got a hold of a 5m long pole and attached a fishnet to the end, climbed up the tree and was able to snag the drone in the net. Except when the net took the weight the whole contraption rotated and the drone ended up in the pond. Image what a golfer must feel like when he watches his championship winning putt lip out of the 18th hole, that’s how I felt.

So, what was a rescue mission from a tree was now a fishing expedition. The water in the pond is between 0.5 and 1m deep, but there is a very thick layer of soft mud on the bottom. Two mornings later I put on chest high waders and with a grappling hook on the end of a pole and a friend with a rake on the end of a long pole we were able to dredge the drone up.
Surprisingly, the LED on the battery winked on when pressed and I was able to retrieve the contents of the SD card. So, we put the drone in a sink with warm water and mild dish washing liquid and gave it a thorough rinsing, dried it off, and put it in a warm laundry closet.

After about a week, I took it out, put a fresh battery on and powered it up. To my surprise, and delight, all the functions seemed to be working properly: connection to the controller, gimbal movements, camera (test photos and videos) and rotors (without blades). I was able to update to the newest firmware with no problems.
I also charged up the battery that got dunked and the cell levels checkout even. However, after a full charge I found several hours later that the LED was blinking rapidly so I decided to keep it out of the house and dispose of it at the local battery disposal center.

Between travelling and awful weather periods I was not able to take it out to an open area and see how it would handle in flight until this morning. With a new set of props it took off flawlessly and responded normally to all flight commands and landed safely. So, I have to report on how impressed I am with the resilience of the engineering of this craft. I was able to recover from a stupid error with only the cost of a battery and a new set of props, and a very valuable lesson on always beings aware of what I am doing with the flight controls and why.

You are lucky, it must be very soft water with little or no salts in it. Seawater is practically instant death for anything with electronics. I always thoroughly rinse my accidentally flooded underwater cameras or lights with ample amounts of distilled water, or at least the freshest I can find and then distilled water as soon as possible, then I rinse the boards with rubbing alcohol to hasten the drying process (keep it off clear plastic filters though, turns them cloudy).

Hello,
Just an update that the drone is still performing well. Had it up early morning yesterday for some photos.

Attachments

• Mabel_17022019.jpg
    Mabel_17022019.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
Reactions: FoxhallGH
PMF: Is that your home? If so, it's gorgeous and man, someone is serious about solar panels! Lovely shot and I'm VERY happy that your M2 survived the dip.

KB, I wish!
Lots of old estate properties in this part of Holland that look very dramatic from a drone's eys view.

You were smart to give it a clean water rinse and lucky that no water seeped inside the camera. Some water damage can take a while to manifest itself so fly like it will fail for the next few flights.

Thanks for the cautionary advice. I'm aware that there will always be a doubt about a sudden malfunction. So, I will be extra careful what missions I take this one on. Also, I have another for more adventurous flights.

With out a doubt a previous poster is correct. Water damage can and will cause long term effects, some sneaking up on you.

Sounds like the best case scenarios happened. It got caught in a tree and the battery drained down to zero. Then it fell in the water. You did the right thing by putting it in clean water and letting it dry for a good while. (Most want to try it out immediately).

Wish you the best of luck.

Silly question from someone that is saving His Pennies for a M2P but is there a Headless Mode?

Thanks. Hand to Eye coordinations aren’t my greatest skill unfortunately. Can I assume there’s an altitude hold so I have time to sort myself out?

...Can I assume there’s an altitude hold so I have time to sort myself out?
Yes. Just let go of the sticks and it will stop and hover. If you need to stop it very quickly, push the pause button on the RC and it will stop fast and ignore stick inputs for a couple seconds.

Reactions: Tesaro
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54