DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Restricted air space

• Thread starter Deleted member 119987
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 119987

Ok, so I just purchased a Air 2 S. I charged up a battery and did the registration and set up. Updated firmware and downloaded DJI Fly.
I immediately got a restricted air space warning saying that RTH may not work. A friend of mine at work has the Air 2 and he started his up and didn't get any warning. What gives? There is a small airport about 3 miles away, but where I flew I have never have gotten any warning in the past. It didn't stop me from flying, just had to cancel the warning. Seems the Air 2 with the same dji fly app should have given him the same warning I got.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please provide your exact location so restrictions can be verified.
What was the exact warning message?
Which Fly app did you download, DJI or Google Play?

Please provide your exact location so restrictions can be verified.
What was the exact warning message?
Which Fly app did you download, DJI or Google Play?
I will try to download exact location... but it was an apple dji fly app

A street address is an exact location. What does the B4UFly app show for your location?

A street address is an exact location. What does the B4UFly app show for your location?
When you open the app, it uses GPS to show your exact location. And, it shows any warning or restrictions where you are. You can also search for locations if you're planning to go somewhere. In the first picture, I searched Destin Florida, and as you can see the entire area is a no fly zone. In the second, I searched Atlanta Georgia. There's a lot of controlled air space there, so the app would be great to find a place to fly. And, it free.

Attachments

• IMG_3014 copy.jpg
    IMG_3014 copy.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 61C6F630-050D-430B-AB82-7469EDDF5BD7_1_105_c copy.jpg
    61C6F630-050D-430B-AB82-7469EDDF5BD7_1_105_c copy.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 5
When you open the app, it uses GPS to show your exact location. And, it shows any warning or restrictions where you are. You can also search for locations if you're planning to go somewhere. In the first picture, I searched Destin Florida, and as you can see the entire area is a no fly zone. In the second, I searched Atlanta Georgia. There's a lot of controlled air space there, so the app would be great to find a place to fly. And, i

When you open the app, it uses GPS to show your exact location. And, it shows any warning or restrictions where you are. You can also search for locations if you're planning to go somewhere. In the first picture, I searched Destin Florida, and as you can see the entire area is a no fly zone. In the second, I searched Atlanta Georgia. There's a lot of controlled air space there, so the app would be great to find a place to fly. And, it free.
I'm quite aware of all this. Just waiting for the OP to give an update. Until the OP responds no one can really help find a solution.

I'm quite aware of all this. Just waiting for the OP to give an update. Until the OP responds no one can really help find a solution.
Sorry for the delay
I have both Airmap and B4UFly. B4UFly shows a Lat 44.046322 Long -121.309219
Clear for Takeoff No Advisories

DJI Fly says Restricted AirSpace. RTH may not initiate. ( or something like that, Im not with the drone today ) But it does let me take off.

Sorry for the delay
I have both Airmap and B4UFly. B4UFly shows a Lat 44.046322 Long -121.309219
Clear for Takeoff No Advisories

DJI Fly says Restricted AirSpace. RTH may not initiate. ( or something like that, Im not with the drone today ) But it does let me take off.
So, location is not a problem. That leads me to think it is with the App. I'm only familiar with the android app.
Are you using the B4UFly app from your phone or computer? Is the Fly app on your phone showing the correct GPS location?

So, location is not a problem. That leads me to think it is with the App. I'm only familiar with the android app.
Are you using the B4UFly app from your phone or computer? Is the Fly app on your phone showing the correct GPS location?
I am using the app on my phone, which is what I use on the controller. The Fly app shows the same location. The Fly App did update to a new version yesterday... I am wondering if that has something to do with it, and maybe the warning is just basic information letting me know there is a restricted space a mile and a half away. I dont think the other pilot had the newer version but I'll ask.

I am using the app on my phone, which is what I use on the controller. The Fly app shows the same location. The Fly App did update to a new version yesterday... I am wondering if that has something to do with it, and maybe the warning is just basic information letting me know there is a restricted space a mile and a half away. I dont think the other pilot had the newer version but I'll ask.
I had to update the database in the Fly app yesterday. I'd give that a try too.

Just updated my android Fly app today. As for warming it is just a simple awareness notice that you are near an uncontrolled airport of other area of interest; it's not a restriction. I get the warning every time and I'm in unrestricted airspace. There is also a controlled airport landing/takeoff zone well overhead.
The no RTH is confusing and I have no answer for that. There are no temporary flight restrictions in your area. In my own case I am within less than 2 miles from the edge of class D airspace. You are within about 3 miles of class E airspace. It should not prevent you from taking off. On the other hand flying into class E would cause RTH issues.

I immediately got a restricted air space warning saying that RTH may not work.
That is definitely something to watch out for.
You're near a no-fly zone, and if you accidentally somehow fly into it, if you lose signal the drone will Land instead of RTH.

Some other ideas. When you check the Fly app for location is the aircraft connected or not. If it is, then start the Fly app with the drone tuned off. The reason for this is to determine which database is being used. I believe the DJI fly database is updated to the drone itself to prevent the drone from flying into bad space even when disconnected from the controller. I suspect that the problem is with the fly database on drone.

Some other ideas. When you check the Fly app for location is the aircraft connected or not. If it is, then start the Fly app with the drone tuned off. The reason for this is to determine which database is being used. I believe the DJI fly database is updated to the drone itself to prevent the drone from flying into bad space even when disconnected from the controller. I suspect that the problem is with the fly database on drone.
Haven't thought of that. I will try that.

Just updated my android Fly app today. As for warming it is just a simple awareness notice that you are near an uncontrolled airport of other area of interest; it's not a restriction. I get the warning every time and I'm in unrestricted airspace. There is also a controlled airport landing/takeoff zone well overhead.
The no RTH is confusing and I have no answer for that. There are no temporary flight restrictions in your area. In my own case I am within less than 2 miles from the edge of class D airspace. You are within about 3 miles of class E airspace. It should not prevent you from taking off. On the other hand flying into class E would cause RTH issues.
I kind of figured it was an awareness warning, although the wording was quite confusing. the concern was that the other pilot was flying an air 2 with the same Fly App on an apple iPhone as well, and didn't get the warning. It must be something in the updated app. The RTH thing has me bugged though.

I kind of figured it was an awareness warning, although the wording was quite confusing. the concern was that the other pilot was flying an air 2 with the same Fly App on an apple iPhone as well, and didn't get the warning. It must be something in the updated app. The RTH thing has me bugged though.

You have your answers in this thread already.

You are near a restricted zone. The flysafe database (which is separate from the app) is what dictates DJI's zones and may be different between what you had and what the other pilot with the Air 2 are seeing. You can check the flysafe version you are using through the app (there are actually two, the one on the drone and the one for the app) and compare to the other person and they will probably be different. It is however possible that DJI coded the 2 and 2S slightly differently when it comes to how close to a restricted zone you might get warned, but I'd bet on the flysafe versions being different.

@Yaros already gave you a perfect answer for the RTH thing. DJI will not have the drone automatically fly through a restricted zone without authorization, so if you somehow enter it (like if you lose GPS for a bit and fly into one) and then initiate a RTH or lose signal, the drone will not fly itself through a restricted zone, but will land instead. At least one pilot got burned by this when the drone ended up landing in a river when in a restricted zone. So, you are being warned that your RTH will not function in that zone.

You have your answers in this thread already.

You are near a restricted zone. The flysafe database (which is separate from the app) is what dictates DJI's zones and may be different between what you had and what the other pilot with the Air 2 are seeing. You can check the flysafe version you are using through the app (there are actually two, the one on the drone and the one for the app) and compare to the other person and they will probably be different. It is however possible that DJI coded the 2 and 2S slightly differently when it comes to how close to a restricted zone you might get warned, but I'd bet on the flysafe versions being different.

@Yaros already gave you a perfect answer for the RTH thing. DJI will not have the drone automatically fly through a restricted zone without authorization, so if you somehow enter it (like if you lose GPS for a bit and fly into one) and then initiate a RTH or lose signal, the drone will not fly itself through a restricted zone, but will land instead. At least one pilot got burned by this when the drone ended up landing in a river when in a restricted zone. So, you are being warned that your RTH will not function in that zone.
My original question was why two pilots standing in the same space, drone on the same landing pad.. one got the warning, the other didn't. My other drones never gave me that warning before, so it took me back a bit. I did get my question answered, but the other pilot downloaded the updated version off the Apple App Store, was then required to do a firmware update, and also had to update the database. Now, his drone is sending the same message. So, it was something DJI changed in the database and/or dji fly app.
I do understand the RTH deal and the drone not going thru restricted air space to get to the homepoint. My confusion was why tell me that a mile and a half away from the restrictive airspace. I could understand 1000 ft. Maybe I'm just not one of those guys who want to take my drone out 4 miles from the controller. VLOS is still required.
Anyway, my question was answered and the testing between me and the other pilot confirmed our conclusion that it was something DJI updated.

I operate near a controlled airspace and get a general warning about a nearby uncontrolled airport. I do believe the RTH warning is related to the restricted area miles away. I've never seen that when near areas. I think there is a problem with the fly database. So I agree with the OP conclusion.

I operate near a controlled airspace and get a general warning about a nearby uncontrolled airport. I do believe the RTH warning is related to the restricted area miles away. I've never seen that when near areas. I think there is a problem with the fly database. So I agree with the OP conclusion.

I looked at the Lat/Long posted above on the Flysafe map. Absent any TFRs that may have been in effect, the nearest airport (Bend Muni) is an authorization zone, but not a restricted zone. The nearest restricted zone (which is what probably triggered this) seems to be at Redmond which is even farther away than Bend -- so it is quite a hike. Not sure if it is a "bug" or a "feature". If you advertise the thing can go 10 miles, you might need warnings for 10 miles, but the OP doing the right thing and staying in VLOS won't care about 10 miles out. I'm not sure what the right answer here is and how far away is "too far" to care.

As to the point that "something dji ujpdated" it should be noted that the Flysafe database is updated regularly so things will change. Occasionally it is updated incorrectly as well and it is aware of something temporary restrictions, so you might be good to go when you take off but suddenly fund yourself in a restricted zone if a temporary restriction took effect (like near a stadium or something). Don't think that is what happened here.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joel_du05