DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Restricted air space

Well the two, weather & approval, aren't tied together. You can wait and apply for approval on-site but you'll have to have Internet Access at the site.
I wasn’t implying they were tied together, I was just stating that by the time your approval is made, now it may be too windy to fly. Make sense now?

Reactions: BigAl07
I wasn’t implying they were tied together, I was just stating that by the time your approval is made, now it may be too windy to fly. Make sense now?

Ah yes that makes sense.

Contact your local FSDO and ask. You will most likely get an invitation to come in and talk to an FAA guy. These guys love it when pilots and now drone pilots ask questions. The local FSDO would be the ones to authorize it anyway. It gives you the opportunity to flag your waiver request with the local office and give them any info up front that you think might be useful to your waiver. These guys love to talk aviation and encourage office visits.

For an interesting time, call your local control tower and tell them you would like a tour. It seems like every student pilot st one time or another visits because his instructor told him to. You really get a sense of what those guys deal with, which as a user of the public airspace you should know. It's a cool visit because you realize how these people just like the guys in the FSDO really enjoy it when pilots and interested parties use then for the resource that they are. It also is a good opportunity to show that the drone community really does take this stuff seriously.
The rules just changed and I am stymied. My area is littered with airports and Class D airspace and most of my flights occur within 5 miles of the tower. I have been calling the control tower and using LAANC when possible. DJI will lower their geofencing for me to fly. But now it seems that is no longer adequate. AirMap no longer seems to work dor LAANC, so do I have to apply for a waiver every time I fly? I'm a real estate photographer with a part 107 cert and need to fly several times a week. A different waiver for each location every time I fly would be difficult, not to mention that I frequently get booked only a day or two in advance - not enough time to apply and receive a waiver. Can I get a blanket waiver? How about a waiver that covers months at a time? What can I do to keep flying?

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN