DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Restricted air space

scoobie77

Reactions
The rules just changed and I am stymied. My area is littered with airports and Class D airspace and most of my flights occur within 5 miles of the tower. I have been calling the control tower and using LAANC when possible. DJI will lower their geofencing for me to fly. But now it seems that is no longer adequate. AirMap no longer seems to work dor LAANC, so do I have to apply for a waiver every time I fly? I'm a real estate photographer with a part 107 cert and need to fly several times a week. A different waiver for each location every time I fly would be difficult, not to mention that I frequently get booked only a day or two in advance - not enough time to apply and receive a waiver. Can I get a blanket waiver? How about a waiver that covers months at a time? What can I do to keep flying?

I have always had issues with LAANC authorizations in AirMap. Use a more dependable service for LAANC. I use Skyward and never have an issue with them.

The rules just changed and I am stymied. My area is littered with airports and Class D airspace and most of my flights occur within 5 miles of the tower. I have been calling the control tower and using LAANC when possible. DJI will lower their geofencing for me to fly. But now it seems that is no longer adequate. AirMap no longer seems to work dor LAANC, so do I have to apply for a waiver every time I fly? I'm a real estate photographer with a part 107 cert and need to fly several times a week. A different waiver for each location every time I fly would be difficult, not to mention that I frequently get booked only a day or two in advance - not enough time to apply and receive a waiver. Can I get a blanket waiver? How about a waiver that covers months at a time? What can I do to keep flying?

Yes you can apply for a waiver that will be good for up to 24 months for each airspace in the waivers section of the 107 dashboard on drone zone website.

Don’t expect a quick turn around or an easy process. Remember you have to do one for each airspace you want a wavier for.

If you could give us the locations you are talking about we can better help you find a suitable solution. Also is it that the drone won’t take off or you just can’t get authorization?

As a Part 107 operator NOTHING has changed. All of the rule changes (so far) were strictly for Hobby flights (Section 349) and do not apply to you.

If you fly in the same areas repeatedly you can request and Airspace Authorization that lasts for us to 24 months but LAANC is much easier and works better IMHO. The AA and AW are really for instances where LAANC won't work or isn't' implemented yet.

What is the problem you are having with LAANC/Airmap?
Are your airports private controlled and not on LAANC yet?

I'm a real state photographer as well. I'm in Las Vegas NV, with a military airport and 3 civilian airports in the valley it is a fairly complicated airspace.
I fly in controlled airspace with LAANC authorizations I get from airmap several times a week.
I even get authorizations filing through airmap for some areas labeled 0 if I file a couple days ahead or more. Generally get it the next day if my request is reasonable. I.E. requesting the lowest altitude I can get away with and only as big an area as I need.

Mike

Reactions: strdr and BigAl07
Yes you can apply for a waiver that will be good for up to 24 months for each airspace in the waivers section of the 107 dashboard on drone zone website.

Don’t expect a quick turn around or an easy process. Remember you have to do one for each airspace you want a wavier for.
The waiver form asks for a precise location. Can I be more general in the location so I can fly anywhere within the 5 mile radius? This seems to me to require a separate waiver for each property I want to photograph,

Reactions: Mike_Flys
If you could give us the locations you are talking about we can better help you find a suitable solution. Also is it that the drone won’t take off or you just can’t get authorization?
The drone will take off, but I can't seem to get authorization any more. For example. the Vero Beach airport is a LAANC participant, but now I can't get authorization within 5 miles.

Here’s the trick. If you zoom in really close on AirMap or it’s more visible on ArcGIS Web Application
You can see the altitude zones. If you make your LAANC request at or below the height indicated in these maps it will be automatically approved. 73134

If you request a higher altitude than indicated it will go to a manual authorization. Manual authorizations have to be submitted 48 hours in advance and will need to be reviewed by a human before approval. If you ask to fly 250 feet in a 200 zone it might be a few minutes to a few hours. If you ask for 1000 feet in a zero(assuming you also have a § 107.51(b) waiver) then it could take up to 30 days(or quickly denied)

Reactions: brett8883
Sorry
commercialdronepilots.com

If you here on your computer you can always click the link at the bottom of any page on this site.

Mike

My apology Mike. I thought you was linking directly to a specific thread over on the CP forum or I would have fixed the other link for you. My bad.... :)

My apology Mike. I thought you was linking directly to a specific thread over on the CP forum or I would have fixed the other link for you. My bad.... :)

I'm sorry. I just thought OP might get better results on the commercial pilot group.

Mike

I think this waiver process will be so difficult where I live, Colorado Springs. The winds change so frequently, I can have what looks like good weather on UAV forecast, and by the time I get to my location it’s too windy to fly. This is sometimes within minutes. The waiver process will make it even more unpredictable. Am I wrong here?

I think this waiver process will be so difficult where I live, Colorado Springs. The winds change so frequently, I can have what looks like good weather on UAV forecast, and by the time I get to my location it’s too windy to fly. This is sometimes within minutes. The waiver process will make it even more unpredictable. Am I wrong here?

Well the two, weather & approval, aren't tied together. You can wait and apply for approval on-site but you'll have to have Internet Access at the site.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31