DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA waiver rejected

A313

Reactions
So, I applied for two waivers on the FAA Drone zone platform: one to fly over 400 feet and the other to fly at night. I explained my plan for what I thought was sufficient grounds to be granted a waiver, but was rejected. In my notes, I explained the safety precautions I would take and how I would operate the UAV. The reason for the rejection was that I did not satisfy their requirements for how to safely operate the UAV. I am so confused because that is precisely what I did.
Is there a template I can follow or a rough idea of where I went wrong? Is there some protocol I didn't fulfil of how the waiver should be written out that I don't know about?
By the way, I am part 107 certified.

So, I applied for two waivers on the FAA Drone zone platform: one to fly over 400 feet and the other to fly at night. I explained my plan for what I thought was sufficient grounds to be granted a waiver, but was rejected. In my notes, I explained the safety precautions I would take and how I would operate the UAV. The reason for the rejection was that I did not satisfy their requirements for how to safely operate the UAV. I am so confused because that is precisely what I did.
Is there a template I can follow or a rough idea of where I went wrong? Is there some protocol I didn't fulfil of how the waiver should be written out that I don't know about?
Sometimes lowering the altitude will get approval. Just depends on the location of the flight.

Is there in or near a controlled airspace?
Exactly how do you state that you can safely fly over 400 feet?

Reactions: GFields
Why would you need a waiver to fly at night?

Also, I assume that for flying over 400ft, you applied for a BVLOS waiver? Hasn't only like, *one** of those been granted *ever*, which was to a huge drone surveying company? I don't think it's the type of waiver that they grant to any Joe Shmo who can competently fill out the form like airspace authorizations tend to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerophile
The FAA is very unlikely to grant permission to fly above 400 feet for almost any reason. Lower your altitude below 400 and you are likely to get approved assuming the area you are wanting to fly in doesn't have any "special restrictions".

Why would you need a waiver to fly at night?

Also, I assume that for flying over 400ft, you applied for a BVLOS waiver? Hasn't only like, *one** of those been granted *ever*, which was to a huge drone surveying company? I don't think it's the type of waiver that they grant to any Joe Shmo who can competently fill out the form like airspace authorizations tend to be.
There are currently 140 107.31 (BVLOS) waivers granted by the FAA. Between myself and my business partner, we have three. And yes, I'm just a "Joe Shmo" 107 pilot.

Check here for list of waivers: https://www.faa.gov/uas/commercial_operators/part_107_waivers/waivers_issued/

BVLOSwaiver.jpg107.31 waiver.jpg

Reactions: GFields
To answer your question, no, there is no template.

As far as the 400' waiver, those are hard to get, and very site specific. Look at some of the granted 107.51(b) waivers for suggestions. There are currently 80 of them.

And as far as the daylight waiver (107.29), you don't need one of those unless you're flying w/o strobes. Night ops are allowed if you use a 3SM strobe, and if you're taken the initial 107 test since April of last year, or taken a subsequent recurrency test via the FAASafety.gov website. You'll need to have ALC677 under your belt.

If you haven't taken ALC677, go to the FAA page (Safer Skies Through Education - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov), and click on Part 107 Small UAS Recurrent found in the Featured Courses box in the upper left box.

Reactions: GFields and SethB
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1