DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Restricted zone flying??

Mycallhill

Reactions
Hi;I wanted to launch my mini in restricted zone so I checked the box and was sent a 6 digit number to enter in order to get authorisation;my problem is when I tap on the box(s) to enter the number nothing happens(can’t enter the number);I tried closing down and doing a second time but same thing happened couldn’t input the 6 digit code;help please.

Funny thing about that. You’re not receiving an authorization code, you’re receiving an UNLOCK code. The disclaimer that comes up to get to that point says something like ‘I agree that I have authorization to fly in this area.....’. So that system is NOT giving you authorization. This is a very important distinction to be aware of as you are easily tracked when using that system as they know your phone number, exact location when you requested unlock code and time date. Etc

You have to get approval (either a waiver, or LAANC) before you can get an unlock code, Nothing is stopping you, except that if they audit the logs, the FAA can easily see that you did or didn’t have authorization and you’d be busted.

Funny thing about that. You’re not receiving an authorization code, you’re receiving an UNLOCK code. The disclaimer that comes up to get to that point says something like ‘I agree that I have authorization to fly in this area.....’. So that system is NOT giving you authorization. This is a very important distinction to be aware of as you are easily tracked when using that system as they know your phone number, exact location when you requested unlock code and time date. Etc

You have to get approval (either a waiver, or LAANC) before you can get an unlock code, Nothing is stopping you, except that if they audit the logs, the FAA can easily see that you did or didn’t have authorization and you’d be busted.

Good morning @Cobra193.

While your advice is accurate for USA the OP is in the UK so the vast majority of your post doesn't apply... It's possible circumstances are "similar" to our USA/FAA but that can't be assumed.

Reactions: Thomas B
Thanks BIgAl07, my bad for not noticing OP was from UK. Regardless, the only part that doesn't apply is that OP would use LAANC. The point still stands that the DJI app that OP is using does not give approvals, only unlock codes, and OP would need approval from whatever regulatory agency in the region, before unlocking.

Thanks guys;I failed to mention I only wanted to fly indoors;I eventually put foil over the top section of the mini (which stops gps??)I was then able to use indoors ;thanks

Here is a tip, when I receive my controlled airspace authorization through LANNC (I use Kittyhawk) or Dronezone, I save the text as PDF and save it in my drone folder for future use, if needed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard