DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

return home mode.

I have a great day every time I go flying, because I understand how the drone is programmed and am not susceptible to myths like the one you've suggested with nothing at all to explain your reasoning.
Your suggestion that it is ok to interrupt drone initiated low battery RTH will cause lots of newbie crashes. DJI has done the math and provided very little room for error in human judgement. Flirt with disaster all you want but don't suggest it's ok for others to chance.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Your suggestion that it is ok to interrupt drone initiated low battery RTH will cause lots of newbie crashes. DJI has done the math and provided very little room for error in human judgement. Flirt with disaster all you want but don't suggest it's ok for others to chance.
You don't seem to have read anything of what I wrote.
You are spreading a myth that you are unable to begin to substantiate.

If you are so sure of the disaster you warn of, just point to a case or two with recorded flight data to support your position.

Reactions: nhoj_yelbom
RE: What are the buttons on the back of the controller?

For what it is worth... I would recommend taking time to thoroughly understand the "drone world." In other words, to avoid frustration, potential crash, and getting the most out of your drone, view some YouTube beginner videos on flying a drone. See the example noted below.

As a first time drone owner [In fact my M2Pro arrives Friday.] I've been amazed at the settings found in the controller! But hey, I'm the guy that will read a manual before using a device.

Source: DJI Mavic 2 Pro Beginners Guide

You don't seem to have read anything of what I wrote.
You are spreading a myth that you are unable to begin to substantiate.

If you are so sure of the disaster you warn of, just point to a case or two with recorded flight data to support your position.
I. Can't fix stupid. Can only advise you do your homework and stop pushing a narrative for disaster. Here...I'll help you get the picture.....see what you get if you're so right. Post a new thread titled " Is it ok to cancel drone initiated low battery RTH " do that and watch the replies...then get back to me with pride swallowed.

I. Can't fix stupid. Can only advise you do your homework and stop pushing a narrative for disaster. Here...I'll help you get the picture.....see what you get if you're so right. Post a new thread titled " Is it ok to cancel drone initiated low battery RTH " do that and watch the replies...then get back to me with pride swallowed.
That's what I thought. Silence. Want me to pose the question for you in general discussion forum?

No continue in this but lets not get arguminitive guys

( Removed By Moderator)

As for the OP, to get the most accurate RTH:

1. Use a landing pad, and place it on asphalt or other contrasting surface. This helps the optical sensors during the final part of the RTH, especially if you want to auto-land. I don't know why so many people are hostile to having it auto-land. I seldom do it, and when I do I'm always ready to take over, if needed, but it works, and it is lots of fun to show people how amazing the technology is.

2. Do a compass calibration. Probably not needed, but doesn't hurt.

3. After your turn on the drone, wait until you have at least 12 satellites showing in the display.

4. Once you have lots of satellites, go to the first icon in the setup menu and tell it to set your home point. Do this even if your audio has told you that "home point has been set." Again, probably not needed, but it doesn't hurt.

5. The most important thing is that, when you take off, go straight up for at least 25-30 feet, without moving horizontally or rotating. You don't have to go up slowly, but I wouldn't do a rocket tackoff either.

When I first got the drone, I was attempting to go through every feature I could think of and, having had problems with a friend's P3, I wanted to make sure I understood all the safety features and their limitations. Once I followed all the steps above, I was able to get it to land dead-center on the 30" landing pad every single time, even after a flight of 10,000' or more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drone initiated low battery RTH? Ummmm....that's self explanatory . Drone returning with just enough battery to get home? That big red notice on your screen? What about that process doesn't make sense to you? You have maybe 30 seconds of flying you can do if you wish to interrupt. Then you will crash land when battery reaches critically low at 10% because you interrupted. Go ahead and do it. Hope your not over water when it lands itself.
Buddy u need to fly some more or do some home work....u will not crash when u hit 10% lol u do realize u still have full control? Yes the drone will attempt to land this is when u raise throttle (left stick if ya did'nt know) and fly with pitch / roll stick! ( right stick again if ya didnt know) Then.... u can possibly make it to home point or to a safer place. There....there is your lesson for today young grasshopper u have much to learn. I have faith in you! Well no no i don't.....maybe a little?

P.s. wait little grasshopper! I will give u one of my cherished tips to help u gain another 3 to 4 mph on rth! While rth u can push your right stick forward and BAM! magic! Instead of an automated 31 mph home your doing about 35mph using about the same amount of battery too!? And im just busting chops man im not getting on you;)

Last edited:
Reactions: RWD and nhoj_yelbom
Buddy u need to fly some more or do some home work....u will not crash when u hit 10% lol u do realize u still have full control? Yes the drone will attempt to land this is when u raise throttle (left stick if ya did'nt know) and fly with pitch / roll stick! ( right stick again if ya didnt know) Then.... u can possibly make it to home point or to a safer place. There....there is your lesson for today young grasshopper u have much to learn. I have faith in you! Well no no i don't.....maybe a little?

P.s. wait little grasshopper! I will give u one of my cherished tips to help u gain another 3 to 4 mph on rth! While rth u can push your right stick forward and BAM! magic! Instead of an automated 31 mph home your doing about 35mph using about the same amount of battery too!? And im just busting chops man im not getting on you;)
Your probably right. I do and always will have more to learn. In 5 months since I bout my first drone M2Z....I'm still a newbie with only 648 flights 200 hours. I have however managed to learn a few things. One of them is the extremely slim margin of error in judgement for additional flight time.....a newbie won't know the mistake until 10% and not home yet. My advise for a newbie is if you wish to test and play around with interrupting drone initiated low battery RTH is you should be on at least 100 acres of completely open landable area. That will forgive guesswork errors. I will always stand by my warnings on this. No offense. Just my opinion.(even though there is no better pilot on the planet than me. ..I can be humble ?)

Last edited:
I have however managed to learn a few things. One of them is the extremely slim margin of error in judgement for additional flight time.....a newbie won't know the mistake until 10% and not home yet.
But there is no logic to this at all.
If there is enough battery for RTH to bring your drone back home, there is enough battery for you to bring it back home.
It really is that simple.
DJI's calculation is not as tight as you claim, the drone will not mysteriously fall out of the sky if you take control.
As I've tried to make clear, I do this very often and because RTH will bring the drone home slowly, it's actually safer to fly home yourself.
If you want to push your myth, you need point to evidence (flight data)from times you and/or others have have tried it.

Reactions: Mike4884
But there is no logic to this at all.
If there is enough battery for RTH to bring your drone back home, there is enough battery for you to bring it back home.
It really is that simple.
DJI's calculation is not as tight as you claim, the drone will not mysteriously fall out of the sky if you take control.
As I've tried to make clear, I do this very often and because RTH will bring the drone home slowly, it's actually safer to fly home yourself.
If you want to push your myth, you need point to evidence (flight data)from times you and/or others have have tried it.
The moderator has requested you and I discontinue our dialog on this matter. I read almost every thread every day and will respect his request. Have a great day and please move on from this dialog with me. Thanks.

The moderator has requested you and I discontinue our dialog on this matter. I read almost every thread every day and will respect his request. Have a great day and please move on from this dialog with me. Thanks.
The moderator asked that you not get argumentative, not that you "discontinue dialog".
I'm concerned that you are posting false information that is very misleading.
It looks like you're never going to back it up with any proof.

Reactions: Mr. Salty
Wrong u can cancel anytime and yes you get back quicker manually
I'm not going to debate this with you. It's obvious you are severly uninformed on drone initiated low battery RTH. Start a thread titled "I want to cancel low battery RTH" and watch the replies. Have a great day.

I'm not going to debate this with you. It's obvious you are severly uninformed on drone initiated low battery RTH. Start a thread titled "I want to cancel low battery RTH" and watch the replies. Have a great day.

You haven't been here for long or flying for very long, so you might want to show more respect to someone who has been flying Mavics for years longer than you have.

Meta4 is very well informed when it comes to RTH, and DJI does build in a decent amount of room for error.

He simply advised interrupting RTH in order to bring the drone back and land it manually, not to try to keep flying it for an additional 10 minutes. That's solid advice, because as he wrote, you can fly back more quickly manually than RTH can.

Reactions: RWD, PAW and Meta4
You haven't been here for long or flying for very long, so you might want to show more respect to someone who has been flying Mavics for years longer than you have.

Meta4 is very well informed when it comes to RTH, and DJI does build in a decent amount of room for error.

He simply advised interrupting RTH in order to bring the drone back and land it manually, not to try to keep flying it for an additional 10 minutes. That's solid advice, because as he wrote, you can fly back more quickly manually than RTH can.
My advise to newbie pilots is sound and solidly grounded to help newbies not do something stupid and end up crash landing in a tree, lake, power lines etc. Due to low battery. If you guys want to split hairs on fine details of drone initiated low battery RTH ...pick a tree and start xxxx on it. My comments here are meant to be positive and help prevent newbie mistakes that don't have to happen. They can chose to listen or not . At the very least they now know there could be problems and or crashes associated with interrupting LBRTH. Mission accomplished for me for helping others. I stand on solid ground with my original statement meant for newbies to not stop LBRTH.
Respect? The only disrespect here is some people stearing newbie pilots into harms way. They need to get lots of air time and use the built in safety technology for now to ensure a crash free transition to seasoned pilot. No offense intended here. Have a great day.

Last edited by a moderator:
My advise to newbie pilots is sound and solidly grounded
... I stand on solid ground with my original statement
Solidly grounded?
But not enough to be able to provide any evidence to back it up.
If you guys want to split hairs on fine details of drone initiated low battery RTH
It's not splitting hairs on fine details, you are promoting a baseless myth.
At the very least they now know there could be problems and or crashes associated with interrupting LBRTH.
If there was any truth to your myth, you'd be able to explain it and show something in the way of evidence, but ....
Respect? The only disrespect here is some people stearing newbie pilots into harms way. They need to get lots of air time and use the built in safety technology for now to ensure a crash free transition to seasoned pilot. No offense intended here.
So what do you say to a very experienced flyer with five years experience, a moderator on an international drone forum who tells you he's done exactly what you advise against hundreds of times and can't find any reason to support your recommendation?
No-one is suggesting to cancel a low battery RTH and fly around for 10 more minutes before coming back.
But you carry on like that's what this is all about.

There is no truth in your scaremongering myth, the one you are unable back up at all.
In truth, it is often safer to do the opposite of what you suggest.

My advise to newbie pilots is sound and solidly grounded to help newbies not do something stupid and end up crash landing in a tree, lake, power lines etc.

To quote you from a previous post:
In 5 months since I bout my first drone M2Z....I'm still a newbie

You yourself are a newbie offering advice like you're a seasoned expert, lecturing people who have been flying for years. You still seem to not understand how or why your drone initiates RTH or why you might want to cancel it and take back control. In fact, you've been close to deliberately misleading in ignoring what experienced pilots are telling you.

That does not help newbies, including yourself.

Here...I'll help you get the picture.....see what you get if you're so right. Post a new thread titled " Is it ok to cancel drone initiated low battery RTH " do that and watch the replies...then get back to me with pride swallowed.

Done: Is it ok to cancel drone initiated low battery RTH

Footnote to newbies on cancelling RTH. Yes you can cancel self initiated RTH any time.... Continue flying or land.... And or select RTH again at any time. HOWEVER, if you are in drone initiated low battery RTH you should NEVER cancel. If you wish to take control 5-10 feet before landing that's fine. But if you interrupt low battery RTH prior to that you are in the "I am going to crash today" group of pilots. Just a friendly warning.

Good luck. Have a great day.
It's particularly unhelpful to post blanket assertions and then refuse to explain your reasoning or provide any supporting evidence. In this case it probably reflects the fact that you can't, because your assertion was incorrect.

One certainly should not ignore the smart RTH function but, as @Meta4 pointed out, if the aircraft has enough reserve to return home under FC control then it obviously has enough to return under pilot control. He is also correct in pointing out that flight efficiency peaks at a higher speed than the default RTH speed and so, in general, you can do better than auto RTH, especially if you don't need to ascend to the preset RTH height.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3