DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

return home mode.

To quote you from a previous post:

You yourself are a newbie offering advice like you're a seasoned expert, lecturing people who have been flying for years. You still seem to not understand how or why your drone initiates RTH or why you might want to cancel it and take back control. In fact, you've been close to deliberately misleading in ignoring what experienced pilots are telling you.

That does not help newbies, including yourself.
I did see one guy on here that has more experience than me. Probably a few more. I read here to gain technical knowledge on topics I have never considered or faced. There are Plenty that have owned a drone longer. If you think I don't know every little detail and aspect of every RTH function you would be 100,% wrong. I just don't wish to point by point argue on my statement the newbies should be cautious.

It's particularly unhelpful to post blanket assertions and then refuse to explain your reasoning or provide any supporting evidence. In this case it probably reflects the fact that you can't, because your assertion was incorrect.

One certainly should not ignore the smart RTH function but, as @Meta4 pointed out, if the aircraft has enough reserve to return home under FC control then it obviously has enough to return under pilot control. He is also correct in pointing out that flight efficiency peaks at a higher speed than the default RTH speed and so, in general, you can do better than auto RTH, especially if you don't need to ascend to the preset RTH height.
I do not have to explain myself. At no time did I ever say it can not be done. Fact is it can be done to ones own desire. You guys have missed the whole point. Newbies should avoid doing this as a newbie. As one gains more airtime and wishes to explore the limits built in safety features.... Go for it. But a new pilot should know to do so with caution.

I do not have to explain myself.

Agreed, but your post is useless if you refuse to support the assertion.

At no time did I ever say it can not be done. Fact is it can be done to ones own desire. You guys have missed the whole point. Newbies should avoid doing this as a newbie. As one gains more airtime and wishes to explore the limits built in safety features.... Go for it. But a new pilot should know to do so with caution.

I see. So now you are just recommending caution. But you posted:

HOWEVER, if you are in drone initiated low battery RTH you should NEVER cancel.

And then you studiously refused to give any technical reason or supporting evidence, and instead moved smoothly to insulting anyone who pointed out that you were wrong.

I did see one guy on here that has more experience than me. Probably a few more. I read here to gain technical knowledge on topics I have never considered or faced. There are Plenty that have owned a drone longer. If you think I don't know every little detail and aspect of every RTH function you would be 100,% wrong. I just don't wish to point by point argue on my statement the newbies should be cautious.

It's good to hear that you are here to learn, but disappointing that it's not working.

Reactions: Mr. Salty
Agreed, but your post is useless if you refuse to support the assertion.

I see. So now you are just recommending caution. But you posted:

And then you studiously refused to give any technical reason or supporting evidence, and instead moved smoothly to insulting anyone who pointed out that you were wrong.

It's good to hear that you are here to learn, but disappointing that it's not working.
I have had 2 hard lessons in my 600+ flights. I got lucky on both. One was directly related to stopping low battery RTH when drone was way out. Spent a day to retrieve off of power line above water once I found it. I perhaps make statement on this in rather finite assertions because I don't want this to happen to another new pilot. Can one fly home manually under low battery RTH....absolutely ...yes. I love flying so much and it's a rather sizeable investment that I feel a newbie should exercise great caution in doing so until they have more experience and a greater feel for the parameters involved. It was never my intention to bring great debate and argument on I guess what is simply my opinion. I apologize to all I may have offended in the dialog. That was never my intention though I may have had an emotion or two get in the way. Possibly too many years of my teenager not listening to me and paying a hard price for it. I promise I come from good intentions and good heart to not wish a newbie experience or repeat the forced landing that I did.

Reactions: sar104
I have had 2 hard lessons in my 600+ flights. I got lucky on both. One was directly related to stopping low battery RTH when drone was way out. Spent a day to retrieve off of power line above water once I found it. I perhaps make statement on this in rather finite assertions because I don't want this to happen to another new pilot. Can one fly home manually under low battery RTH....absolutely ...yes. I love flying so much and it's a rather sizeable investment that I feel a newbie should exercise great caution in doing so until they have more experience and a greater feel for the parameters involved. It was never my intention to bring great debate and argument on I guess what is simply my opinion. I apologize to all I may have offended in the dialog. That was never my intention though I may have had an emotion or two get in the way. Possibly too many years of my teenager not listening to me and paying a hard price for it. I promise I come from good intentions and good heart to not wish a newbie experience or repeat the forced landing that I did.

Fair enough – that's a perfectly reasonable way to look at it. Thanks for the explanation.

It was said: “My comments here are meant to be positive and help prevent newbie mistakes that don't have to happen. They can chose to listen or not.”

As one of the brand new guys here, there is a great deal to learn. I was smart enough to join the forum first, learn the “+” & “-“ of the few drones I may purchase, and get educated. Along the way choose the M2P which arrives tomorrow. In the mean time mean time I’ve read manual & viewed a few beginner related YouTube videos. All giving me a good starting & reference point.

I’m yet to be in a discerning position to judge statements made in the forums. Common sense, caution, and knowing who I can rely one. When conflicted, ask a question.

Reactions: ScottM2Zoom1
But there is no logic to this at all.
If there is enough battery for RTH to bring your drone back home, there is enough battery for you to bring it back home.
It really is that simple.
DJI's calculation is not as tight as you claim, the drone will not mysteriously fall out of the sky if you take control.
As I've tried to make clear, I do this very often and because RTH will bring the drone home slowly, it's actually safer to fly home yourself.
If you want to push your myth, you need point to evidence (flight data)from times you and/or others have have tried it.

Maybe he isn't as GREAT a pilot as you are!

It was said: “My comments here are meant to be positive and help prevent newbie mistakes that don't have to happen. They can chose to listen or not.”

As one of the brand new guys here, there is a great deal to learn. I was smart enough to join the forum first, learn the “+” & “-“ of the few drones I may purchase, and get educated. Along the way choose the M2P which arrives tomorrow. In the mean time mean time I’ve read manual & viewed a few beginner related YouTube videos. All giving me a good starting & reference point.

I’m yet to be in a discerning position to judge statements made in the forums. Common sense, caution, and knowing who I can rely one. When conflicted, ask a question.

Read the manual twice before you take off... IMHO !...

Maybe he isn't as GREAT a pilot as you are!
It doesn't matter how "great" a pilot anyone is.
If your drone has sufficient battery to come home with RTH going at its slow pace, it will have more than enough battery to get home with anyone doing the driving.
It shouldn't even take a "great" brain to understand that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
If your drone has sufficient battery to come home with RTH going at its slow pace, it will have more than enough battery to get home with anyone doing the driving.

+1.

I had an RTH start today with 50% Battery left ( was pretty far out ) and moved the right stick to full forward in a nice glide path and was home with 34% left. I flew around for a bit until the 25% alarm came on and landed fine.

I'm a relative newbie to drone flying so I try to fly a lot of "Teachable Moment" missions.

When you are "new" at something, it doesn't matter how smart you are - you are still scared about what you are doing especially when the dam RC starts beeping at you...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji