DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Return to Home Error

Sophie luther

Reactions
Hey Guys! I just got the Mavic Air yesterday. I tried to fly it today and every time I press the Return to home button, it Gets pretty close to where I landed, and then hovers on top of things: trees, chairs. And then I get a notification that it says “not suitable for landing”. I just don’t know why it tries to land on top of stuff. If anyone knows what this error is, and how to make it more precise, please let me know! Thank you.

Take off/ landing point needs to be distinct- I use a piece of cardboard with product pictures. Just got my landing H, I'll try that next.
Instructions on you tube videos say to go straight up to 30' and let it sit there long enough to ' recognize' the spot. The rear light is suposed to flash a code when that is done- I haven't seen it yet as I'm busy watching other things.

Hope that helps

Take off/ landing point needs to be distinct- I use a piece of cardboard with product pictures. Just got my landing H, I'll try that next.
Instructions on you tube videos say to go straight up to 30' and let it sit there long enough to ' recognize' the spot. The rear light is suposed to flash a code when that is done- I haven't seen it yet as I'm busy watching other things.

Hope that helps
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. I’ll test it out right now.

Patience Grasshopper...
Read/ Watch more - Fly less until you know enough to prevent problems :)

Here's a good starter discussion

Last edited:
Are you using the "precision take-off" option on the take-off screen, just check the yellow box ?

This will allow the MA to have a more accurate landing having mapped the landing zone on take-off.

Also wait for the home point to be set before taking off.

Reactions: WAXMAN
Follow the Iannes's' suggestion and enable the "precision take off"(or "precision landing" option. Remember that to have this option really active, you have to take-off and go up about 7 meters on the vertical, before moving in another direction. If you use the automatic take off this is automatically done by the MA. About your problem, are you sure the stuff does not cover your landing point or it is so close to it that the MA sensors are confused?. The home point was correctly recorded?(there is a message at the beginning of the flight when this happens)

before take off wait until you get maz gps satelites and it usually should say the home point as been updated, i get this message and RTH after that is pretty spot on every time.

I remember my first very timid try with the MA in my back garden. Just start, take off fly a few meters for and backwards and then my attempt to return to my take-off position. I got crazy, since the MA simply did not want to return to where I wanted it.
Untill I realized, that about 1,5 meters from the Take-Off was the wall of the house. The front sensors simply did not want to come that close to the house. So I made a 90° yaw and then pulled it back sidewards.

At other locations, I thought I was fine to land, but the sensors again indicated, that there was a problem. Sometimes it was "just" the grass I wanted to land on, sometimes the dirt. I got one of those flexible Helipads you can pin to the ground and now use that to start and land. Since then, never had an issue with sensors telling me that the landingarea was not suitable for landing.

I guess, that you are simply to close to objects for the sensors to feel comfortable landing. You might see (and think) that it will fit, but the sensors might have other parameters to keep a safe distance to obstacles.

Why not just land it yourself? The return journey is half the flight* so make the most of it.

*YMMV

I have a flexible pad, and also a home made 1/4" plywood landing pad. Painted Red with a white X, before each flight, it says home point has been updated. I feel good in the event of a emergency,if I have to use that feature. I fly back to take off manually, only use it in a emergency situation.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan