DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Return to Home Question

Rusty105

Reactions
So this being my first DJI drone, but not my first camera drone, I have a few questions about the RTH features. Like what settings are available? Most importantly, at what altitude will it RTH? And can it be set by the user?

So this being my first DJI drone, but not my first camera drone, I have a few questions about the RTH features. Like what settings are available? Most importantly, at what altitude will it RTH? And can it be set by the user?
It does depend somewhat on the exact model you are flying, mostly on the side of obstacle avoidance on the route back. However in general:
  • You are in control of the behavior and settings.
  • RTH can be set to Off, Hover In Place, or return to the home point.
  • The exact behavior does depend on how far it is from the home point. Generally when within 20 meters it will behave differently, like just land where it is.
  • You set the RTH altitude for whatever height you like.
For full information just go to the DJI website and download the full user manual for whichever model you are considering. The RTH feature is described in great detail. It answers all of your questions and more.

Well, the Mavic Mini's download section is pretty thin, as in NO user manual, yet....
Yes I see that now. Unfortunate that they don't have full documentation or the app ready yet.

Have a look at any other model to get an idea of the feature. The Spark User Manual has it on page 13, and it will most likely be very similar, except for obstacle avoidance.

No reason to think it is any different then any other DJI product. You set the minimum RTH altitude. If the drone is under this altitude, it will rise to that altitude. If it is over, it will maintain the altitude it is at.

From what I have seen so far on the web you basically only set the home point and the RTH altitude.
When setting the altitude make sure it is above the highest obstacles in your flight area - the Mini does not have any obstacle sensors and will crash into anything on the flight path.

I don't know yet if there is an automatic RTH on signal loss and/or a choice between hovering or RTH.... Time will tell....

Unless you are flying totally in an open field environment, or over the ocean, etc, I simply would not use the RTH function on a drone without obstacle avoidance.
Even WITH obstacle avoidance, it’s not perfect, so without it, RTH is going to be fraught with risk.
Most risky is allowing it to auto RTH and not knowing exactly where that will be (commence the process itself) in relation to trees and other such.

Just about all the trees around me are less than 120ft. Only things higher are high tension power lines and cell towers which are closer to 130 feet. I usually avoid having those between me and the AC. Only once did a cell tower nearly get me in trouble with my P3, but I unwittingly set myself up for that one.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky