DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Return to Position

BLZeebub

Reactions
Morning all,

I may have missed this but i thought you guys would know if this is possible!

First some background - I'm filming some pyrotechnic testing and need top down views of the items under test. Each item is placed at a point and then ignited. Then some measurements are taken as well as some cleanup before the next item is placed at the same point and the cycle begins again. As there is often a delay between firings it's not ideal to leave the drone in place so to save battery i land it. But then i have to re-position which takes a bit of time to nudge it into place.

So, is there a simple way to fly to the position i want and then save that so i can just hit a button and the drone takes off and repositions itself?

Cheers
Nat

So, is there a simple way to fly to the position i want and then save that so i can just hit a button and the drone takes off and repositions itself?
Use Hangar's Autopilot. The 'target' mode does that what you are trying to accomplish.

Well, that can be done using waypoints but you need to use 3rd party software for that (like litchi if you are on andorid). For some reason DJI has decided that Air does not deserve this functionality with the original software (at least so far, they might change their minds later)...

Cheers,
Cem

I think your only possible option with DJI Go is to use Tapfly Coordinate mode, but it won’t remember the location, you need to view it then select the coordinate you want fly to by tapping the screen.

Many thanks, it looks like Litchi or Autopilot then. I have heard of both but have no idea what the differences are or if one is netter than the other?

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Nathan

You could set a waypoint with Go 4 couldn't you? (I dont have an Air) With a MP Litchi would nail what you want.

Many thanks, it looks like Litchi or Autopilot then. I have heard of both but have no idea what the differences are or if one is netter than the other?

Litchi is simple to use and missions can be created on a regular PC (much easier in my opinion), and then opened up on your device. Autopilot is much more feature-rich but is also a lot less user-friendly and has a much steeper learning curve.

Another option would be to manually fly back to the same altitude and general spot and then use the grid feature in DJI GO to line up shot. You should be able to get similar shots if there are unique features on the ground that could be aligned with the grid overlay in DJI GO.

DJI-GO-Grid.jpg

Reactions: BLZeebub
Cool idea on the Grid - i didn't know about that and there will be markings on the ground. That said, an automated 'return to position' would be quicker once it's setup but the grid would be useful to lock in the the initial position. I take it both Litchi and Autopilot can record a position and then return to it then without setting up an offline waypoint?

B-)

Reactions: BLZeebub
Is Autopilot up and running on Android as all the links ive found so far are Apple and the FAQ's seem to say it's on the way with no ETA.

B-)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803