DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RID

What do you mean?

Legal BVLOS will never be a thing for the hobbyist or enthusiast.

In fact, all the restrictions we are facing right now as hobbyist are exclusively to get us out of the sky to leave the <120m clear for the big companies to exploit it with their BVLOS drones.

This is all about money, nothing more, no one, in the entire world, has died from a consumer drone accident.

Reactions: jaymc
Totally agree. As far as my comment, bit of sarcasm on my part, I admit. Does RID locate the Drone as well as the location of the PIC it does, right? What would the rules that be consider the max distance a normal human can see. I myself loved to fly sailplanes and I'm pretty good at seeing distance in the sky. But I doubt if the FAA would believe I could see 20,000 ft unaided (I can see that far btw, lol)

Last edited:
Totally agree. As far as my comment, bit of sarcasm on my part, I admit. Does RID locate the Drone as well as the location of the PIC it does, right? What would the rules that be consider the max distance a normal human can see. I myself loved to fly sailplanes and I'm pretty good at seeing distance in the sky. But I doubt if the FAA would believe I could see 20,000 ft unaided (I can see that far btw, lol)
I would think it all depends on the size of your drone. I have one 5 times the size of my Air 2S and can see it very well at 3000 feet. My Air 2s is in VLOS at about 2200 feet with out lights.

Reactions: Rchawks
In European drone rules there's a hard cap of 500m VLOS, so if you want to fly legal you just limit the drone to 500m and 120m altitude, and they have to believe that you were in VLOS. Altitude is from the ground, you can climb mountains, but for the general purpose 120/500 keeps you 100% legal.

Without a hard cap a dedicated spotter constantly looking at the drone, a Mavic 3 can be seen as far as 800m or so, the problem is that when you are flying alone, and you change from looking at the drone to looking at the screen you won't be able to find the drone again in the sky.

If I'm alone, real VLOS for me is around 200m, past that I spend too much time searching the drone in the sky. When flying drones it's always better to focus on the screen unless you are flying near obstacles, interiors, close to trees or things like that, then you want the drone at a close distance, the closer, the better.

I'll keep flying long range till I can't find a way to overcome RID, then I'll just limit the drone to 500/120 and move myself closer and exploit the rules as much as I can to the point everyone around doesn't get surprised of seeing a drone flying nearby.

We'll see an exponential increase of drone confrontations during 2023 and 2024... and I'm not going to be a victim of that.

My M3 will stay under the radar at 01.00.0800 for as long as I can till things get clearer and drone hobbyist aren't treated like criminals anymore.

What do you mean?

Legal BVLOS will never be a thing for the hobbyist or enthusiast.

In fact, all the restrictions we are facing right now as hobbyist are exclusively to get us out of the sky to leave the <120m clear for the big companies to exploit it with their BVLOS drones.

This is all about money, nothing more, no one, in the entire world, has died from a consumer drone accident.
YES ! Totally agree. I’m sure we’re gonna get replies saying otherwise though.
I read about a year ago or so about how all these regulations were gonna destroy the drone hobby.
I’m sorry but I’m not flying an aircraft carrying passengers or cargo I’m responsible for.
C’mon, I’m flying a $700 drone not a million dollar aircraft.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m totally on board with the more common sense safety issues that might hurt property or people.
That’s my 2 cents.

"...But I doubt if the FAA would believe I could see 20,000 ft unaided (I can see that far btw, lol)"
Reminds me of Chuck Yeager's note in his book where he claimed he could see the Japs at 50 miles which is why he was getting the first kills....

I'll wash your camping sox and drink the water if you can see a consumer drone at 20k'!

YES ! Totally agree. I’m sure we’re gonna get replies saying otherwise though.
I read about a year ago or so about how all these regulations were gonna destroy the drone hobby.
I’m sorry but I’m not flying an aircraft carrying passengers or cargo I’m responsible for.
C’mon, I’m flying a $700 drone not a million dollar aircraft.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m totally on board with the more common sense safety issues that might hurt property or people.
That’s my 2 cents.

Of course, drones need some basic regulation, but tie a 1Km radius target at the back of every drone pilot isn't one of them.

Drone hobby isn't being regulated... it's just being sabotaged.

Of course, drones need some basic regulation, but tie a 1Km radius target at the back of every drone pilot isn't one of them.

Drone hobby isn't being regulated... it's just being sabotaged.
Again, TOTALLY agree.

Reminds me of Chuck Yeager's note in his book where he claimed he could see the Japs at 50 miles which is why he was getting the first kills....

I'll wash your camping sox and drink the water if you can see a consumer drone at 20k'!
Not unless they were flying Mitsubishi Zeroes over Germany…. :)

Great book and yes he mentioned his excellent eyesight.

Reactions: Rchawks
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25