DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Right Scroll Wheel can not do continuous zooming

btsloan

Reactions
Just received my Mavic 3 Classic with a DJI RC controller. Quickly discovered that the right scroll wheel can NOT do continuous zooming. You have to use your finger on the screen to do that effect. I noticed several YouTube videos where the RC PRO can do continuous zooming. And another video where the Mini Pro 3 being controlled by the RC controller where the right scroll wheel would do continuous zooming. DJI doesn't seem consistent with the DJI RC features. Any else have this issue when using the RC controller with the Mavic 3 Classic?

Tried every possible way. It only changes zoom power 1 - 3. I can press on the zoom on the screen and do it that way but it is not very smooth. I noticed in a youtube video a RC controller using a Mini 3 Pro, the right scroll wheel could do a continuous zoom. Maybe it depends what drone your using.

Tried every possible way. It only changes zoom power 1 - 3. I can press on the zoom on the screen and do it that way but it is not very smooth. I noticed in a youtube video a RC controller using a Mini 3 Pro, the right scroll wheel could do a continuous zoom. Maybe it depends what drone your using.
I think you have to be in explorer mode for the wheel to zoom. That's how it is on my Mavic 3 (non classic).

One of the reasons I use my RC Pro controller from my Air 2s on the Mini 3 Pro. I get the zoom wheel

All the YouTube videos on the DJI RC not one mentions the lack of continuous zooming with the right scroll wheel. Pretty **** lame.

Since it’s only digital then you can zoom in post & get exactly the same result

Yes you can do that and I have but, the sharpness is not quite the same.
The Mavic 3 classic doesn't have an optical zoom. The digital zoom you get from it is the same as doing it in post. If you want the zoom function, upgrade to a regular Mavic 3.

Yes you can do that and I have but, the sharpness is not quite the same.
Its possible you see this because DJI may add some sharpening to make it look better right out of the drone but its likely your computer would do a better quality job zooming and sharpening if your using Lightroom or similar.

The Mavic 3 classic doesn't have an optical zoom. The digital zoom you get from it is the same as doing it in post. If you want the zoom function, upgrade to a regular Mavic 3.
The Mavic 3 also has no optical zoom. Instead it has a supplemental 7x telephoto camera. All zooms on the Mavic 3 are also digital! Each camera offers up to a 4x digital zoom, giving a digital zoom range from 1x-4x on the main camera and 7x-28x on the 7x telephoto camera.

The OP's issue is that the DJI RC's digital zoom wheel isn't stepped in increments of 1 like the RC Pro on the main and only camera. It is doubling instead. That is a major fail of the DJI RC, especially if it carries over to the DJI RC use with the Mavic 3.

Zooming in post in video may result in the same video frame, but defeats the purpose of live digital zoom for exploring, whether or not recording.

Its possible you see this because DJI may add some sharpening to make it look better right out of the drone but its likely your computer would do a better quality job zooming and sharpening if your using Lightroom or similar.
Lightroom is of no help for digital video cropping, and cropping video in Premiere is far more complex than cropping a single photo in LR. Neither alternative works to enlarge the view linearly, live, during flight, to see if it is worth flying closer.

Mavic 3 does not have optical zoom either. It has two cameras, one WA 24mm and one Tele 162mm. In Explore mode you can digitally zoom using both, tranzitioning seemlesly from WA to TELE using digital zoom on both cameras.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Mavic 3 does not have optical zoom either. It has two cameras, one WA 24mm and one Tele 162mm. In Explore mode you can digitally zoom using both, tranzitioning seemlesly from WA to TELE using digital zoom on both cameras.
In Explore mode, it's not exactly seamlessly. There is a clearly visible jump from a very pixelated digital 4x on the main camera to the optical 7x of the telephoto camera, since there is no 4x-7x coverage. However, Explore mode does allow using the two cameras together in tandem within the same video clip, without stopping and restarting the video to switch between them, as is required in Normal mode.

Lightroom is of no help for digital video cropping, and cropping video in Premiere is far more complex than cropping a single photo in LR. Neither alternative works to enlarge the view linearly, live, during flight, to see if it is worth flying closer.
Not sure about Premiere but zooming in Resolve Studio & FCPX is pretty simple. Smooth zooming isn’t necessary if yr just taking a closer look

Not sure about Premiere but zooming in Resolve Studio & FCPX is pretty simple. Smooth zooming isn’t necessary if yr just taking a closer look
It isn't necessary, but if you are recording continuous video, smooth zooming is certainly preferred over a stepped double of the digital zoom, if it is a keeper subject. It is far more relevant on the Mavic 3 than on the Mavic 3 Classic without the 7x telephoto, and no Explore mode.

Oh I figured out the problem. You have multiple choices for what the right scroll wheel can do. From the factory it was set to focal length. I changed it to zooming and now everything is great. No one on Youtube knows this and DJI tech support doesn't know either.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998