DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RISK OF DAMAGING CONTROLLER MICRO USB PORT!

paultheton

Reactions
Hi, just watched a video on you tube about causing damage to the micro usb port on the controller.
Although micro usb cable will fit, IT IS NOT A USUAL MICRO USB PORT!
It is a MICRO USB TYPE A (square) whereas the usual micro usb is type b (shaped).
Using the shaped (b) connector will eventually break the controller port.

It makes sense that it is a micro type A port but the adaptor for charging is usb-c to micro-b, but the cables for connecting to your phone/tablet are all micro-A. Why would DJI supply a micro-B adaptor for charging?

Reactions: mrparish
I have always used the USB-C adaptor as it seems to fit much better than any other cable. I then use the USB-C cable to plug into that to charge.

Its slightly annoying having to use an adaptor but it works and hasnt damaged anything so far.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT and kei888
Also, take anything that Jeremy Judkins says or does in his videos with caution. Used to watch him a few years ago and some of the ‘advice’ he gave would lead to you crashing your drone.

Where to get a micro usb type-A cable or adapter? Searching google and ebay does not render anything useful?

Even if you found a USB A to micro USB A cable for charging...what have you solved?
Being a rectangular port, you could still insert the cable upside down and forcing it (similar to what’s currently happening with the micro USB B cable) you’ll still damage the port.
The only real solution would be a micro USB B port on the controller, or a reversible port design used on the controller (e.g. USB C).
I can only assume they didn’t use USB C as patch cables for various devices didn’t exist (e.g. USB C to Lightning). Would you prefer expensive proprietary patch cables?

Reactions: Darren88 and Kilrah
The orientation of the connector is already marked .. just look at both sides of a male plug .. the side with 2 lines on goes to the top of the socket

Last edited:
Fixed mine with red sharpie! That and I only use the full size USB on the bottom to plug into my phone. Hopefully next generation will be completely USB-C only. Silly that they updated Air with USB-C but the controller still has Micro-USB.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf