DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RISK OF DAMAGING CONTROLLER MICRO USB PORT!

It is the same system with Mavic Pro! After three charges, the little post on inside of port broke off! This is a design flaw and DJI is making a lot of money doing repairs on something that they are responsible for!

I have an idea, just look at the receptacles in good light. If that doesn't work, have someone else do it. For us guys just put some hair around it. This might be one of those square poles in round holes things. Why do people make things so easy so hard?
As you write trying to make a joke out of the misfortunate people who didn’t recognize their mistake by plugging in the cord in wrong, DJI is making a lot of money from these repairs. They have to realize that there is a flaw in this design and they must fix it! Looking for a good lawyer is the best resource at this point in time!

This thread is 2018 but i immediately realized awkward rectanguloid socket shape and immediately recognized workaround gender adapter they do work forever.
You gotta peer at the logo, both sides they exist. I'll get pic upload, all stock dji fresh out of the box.
You folks gotta look at yours, it's there.

Anyhow nobody realizes the rectanguloid rc gladly accommodates cable's trapezoid, rather circumscribes the trapezoid.
Tell me, in the rectanguloid, is it not coherent the fingers of conductors hug to a side leaving opposing side vacant?
Well, that means it's mimicking big brother, the legacy sized usb, and you all can coherently visual the identical layout: finger conductors hugging one side of rectanguloid leaving the opposing side open.

I just hope you all can see and agree it won't break so long as you vigilantly remember two things :
Mate both logo(s)
Double check yourself coherent view finger conductors hugging to one side

I've just checked the remote charger lead that came with my MA (which I dont use)
and its a normal micro usb plug, not a type A.
You'd think DJI would at least provide a usb A plug to fit the usb A socket, as they do on the phone to remote lead.

USB standards have a cable that will have an 'A' end and a 'B' end ... The 'A' end is usually the data or charging source, and the 'B' end is the device that's receiving the data or charge. In this case, DJI are going to be screwed either way they choose to use the side port on the controller. They have elected to call it a data source (type A), port as they believe its primary role is to connect the mobile device running Go4. However, if they had chosen to put a micro-USB 'B' type connector on the side, you would not be able to get the data connection, and you would also have a lot of problems getting a USB cable that had a 'B' type connector on each end!

As has been mentioned in this thread, the two solutions that work beast, involve ditching the DJI supplied short data cable and getting a USB-A to what-ever-your-device-has 'B' connector and use the data connect port on the underside of the controller, then - either:

a) get one of the reversible micro-USB 'B' type cables as a charging cable ... or
b) use 'NetDot' type cables with magnetic detachable tips, and just leave a micro-USB 'B' type tip attached permanantly to the controller to be connected to when you charge.

I use option b) ...
IMG_20181124_095144.jpg

Mine went back to DJI for replacement (Free) I now have magnetic connector which does not involve any plugging in and works well

I've just checked the remote charger lead that came with my MA (which I dont use)
and its a normal micro usb plug, not a type A.
You'd think DJI would at least provide a usb A plug to fit the usb A socket, as they do on the phone to remote lead.
The provided flat ribbon usbC with gender change microUsbTrapezoidal works just fine. I've not seen it get worn out either side. Like all miniaturized quick connect junctions, some carefulness is required (recall insertion deinsertion of micro sdcard costing 100usd). I have to conclude this concept of vigil care handling and using and put away and stowing is too much to ask of the general populous.

The concern here is self inflicted user damage versus idiot-proofing what constitutes a highly utilized mechanical junction crucial for continual and dedicated functions

it's best understanding this kind of human assist evolution is much more sophisticated than designed human demands historically established and quite troublefree too, say, the telephone operator dispatcher plugging cables with phoneplug into phonejack panelswitchboard, say, the jimmy page guitarist plugging the guitar cable phoneplug into les paul guitar, say, the recreational jogger plugging in 3.5mm stereo headset plug into sony walkman

Hi, just watched a video on you tube about causing damage to the micro usb port on the controller.
Although micro usb cable will fit, IT IS NOT A USUAL MICRO USB PORT!
It is a MICRO USB TYPE A (square) whereas the usual micro usb is type b (shaped).
Using the shaped (b) connector will eventually break the controller port.

I had some scary disconnects and replaced the DJI patch lead to the side of the controller with a USB that plugs into the full soze port at the bottonm of the controller handset, then into my phone. Still experience the disconnects in the same location as before, but the connection is much more sturdy. I bought a short quality braided cable very cheaply.

What needs to be clarified are verbatim warnings attributed to mankind infrastructures' interfere that results loss of drone control

VS

Verbatim warns of cable interface disrupt, i.e., the cable porting rc interface data bi-directionally into cellphone

Strange?, the official specifications of the micro-AB port (official name of this port):
Part number: ZX62RD-AB-5P8

does support cross compatibility with both micro-A and B as the name suggest!
The actions that your describing should not impact the longevity of the usb port on the side of the controller what so ever!

You should still use it at your own risk, but the official specifications of this port support it!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair