DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RISK OF DAMAGING CONTROLLER MICRO USB PORT!

You can't reverse a micro usb type a cable, only go in one way....
This is reversible Micro USB type A. I have been using since I got MA.
6c347817d3b1c17937813dcd7435723b.jpg
e234ff286f3a61d9b35988b9781491bc.jpg

It's poorly designed. Of all the USB ports of any size that I have ever come across the one on the remote is the only where it is not immediately obvious which way is correct. And the adapter is just another potential failure point.

Absolutely right. It's fine if you plug it in correctly. I scratched an "X" on the surface that faces me when it's plugged in so it's real easy to see which way is correct every time I plug it in. Never had a issue yet in nearly two years with this Mavic Pro.

No it will not, unless you force it backwards.

I have an idea, just look at the receptacles in good light. If that doesn't work, have someone else do it. For us guys just put some hair around it. This might be one of those square poles in round holes things. Why do people make things so easy so hard?

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
As long as the cable is inserted with the pin orientation correct i can’t see how you might damage the port (similar observation to that of others here). Rounded corners fit into a square hole, arguably it goes in easier.

Reactions: sburke
found this.........

An OTG device can play two different roles and that depends on the plug to which it is connected. If it's inserted by a micro-A plug, then it acts as the host (an A-device). If it's inserted by a micro-B plug, then it acts as the peripheral (a B-device).

The micro-A and micro-B plugs differ in the voltage of the 5th pin (ID pin). A micro-A plug has its ID pin grounded, while a micro-B plug has its ID pin floating. So a device can know which role to play based on the plug inserted.

WTF? Now I'm more confused. Guess the magnetic connection is the way to go.

I had a hell of a time finding a micro usb-a cable. I did however find it.

Hi, just watched a video on you tube about causing damage to the micro usb port on the controller.
Although micro usb cable will fit, IT IS NOT A USUAL MICRO USB PORT!
It is a MICRO USB TYPE A (square) whereas the usual micro usb is type b (shaped).
Using the shaped (b) connector will eventually break the controller port.

This is an absolute design fault. Especially since DJI provide the WRONG micro USB adaptor for the USB cable.

Not really. Technically in IT terms the RC is a host or initiator, the mobile device the target. A host/initiator is supposed to have a USB-A port, the target USB-B. This is supported by the fact that the alternate port to the micro-usb, the full size USB port being type A, so the micro-USB follows that it too is type A. The thing is that we rarely come across initiators with micro-USB. Instead they typically have full size USB.

To add to the confusion, the side port also is a target for the purposes of charging, upgrading firmware and downloading logs. A micro-usb A port can double as USB B in micro form factor.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
Just mark the correct orientation with fingernail polish and live with it. DJI's not going to change all of the RCs out there, and the flaw is minor. Save your indignation for something really important. I'm not trying to be nasty here, but practical. There's an easy work-around.

Just mark the correct orientation with fingernail polish and live with it. DJI's not going to change all of the RCs out there, and the flaw is minor. Save your indignation for something really important. I'm not trying to be nasty here, but practical. There's an easy work-around.

It's not indignation mate. It's disappointment. I paid close to A$3000 for the MAvic 2 kit. The least you can expect is that the charging port is designed to function. If this was an Apple iPhone or Android device there would be outrage and recalls. The fact that the DJI service centre knew exactly what the problem was when I took the controller in and based on the forums this is not an unusual problem. I had a Mavic Pro and never had an issue. 2nd charge out of the box and the port is ruined. In our country we have consumer laws that protect us from manufacturer's design flaws so getting it fixed is not a problem - Too late for my wife's nail polish now!

It's not indignation mate. It's disappointment. I paid close to A$3000 for the MAvic 2 kit. The least you can expect is that the charging port is designed to function. If this was an Apple iPhone or Android device there would be outrage and recalls. The fact that the DJI service centre knew exactly what the problem was when I took the controller in and based on the forums this is not an unusual problem. I had a Mavic Pro and never had an issue. 2nd charge out of the box and the port is ruined. In our country we have consumer laws that protect us from manufacturer's design flaws so getting it fixed is not a problem - Too late for my wife's nail polish now!

-Sorry, I didn't know that your remote was damaged. If that had happened to me I would've been more than disappointed.

I agree that DJI should use the correct port on their remotes, and I don't know why they haven't corrected that obvious flaw, especially since its existed now on several models, and over a period of time. The design of their product is so superior to anything else out there that something as simple as a correct USB port should be a no-brainer!

My indignation comment had to do with an unrelated issue that I'm having with my relatively new Honda CR-V. They're having problems with their new engine design where gas is getting into the oil, causing a multitude of serious problems. So far, Honda is ignoring the issue, and will not respond to my correspondence. That "fix" will cost me about $10,000, so a faulty USB port (-in my mind) on my Mavic, is "small potatoes" in comparison. I apologize.

Consider a magnetic USB connector then you won't stress it any more.
There was another thread about this somewhere, may no have even been this forum, and someone suggested the magnetic connector. I bought 4 of them to cover all of my controllers. It is fantastic, just get the cord close to the RC and it snaps into place, no worries.
In case anyone is interested, here's the one I bought.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0757ZKYZ8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: Mikep2323

I have the same problem and it is a design flaw! If the plug should go in a certain way it should be marked so. This plug will allow the charging cable to be plugged in either way! Mine broke after three charges. I bought another one for $200.00 and it was a used one. DJI needs to admit that this controller is flawed and should replace the controller with a new and completely unused controller. Instead, they want me to send my controller back to have it checked out and then they will determine if it was a faulty controller or abuse on my part! Of course they will find it as abuse on my part and charges to fix the controller will be mine to pay! There has been to many of these issues to ignore the fact that it is a design flaw! We need to get everyone to flood the company and demand justice from them!!!!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan