DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Rock monastery st. Nikolas

The flying was a bit disorienting until 2:50, then it gets real fun.
Аt 3:15 there a holed rock I was about to film and pass-thru... But did not found a suitable start point and continue my journey ;) here is an old footage ;)

Аt 3:15 there a holed rock I was about to film and pass-thru... But did not found a suitable start point and continue my journey ;) here is an old footage ;)
Yes, I remember seeing that locale in a previous video. The FPV can provide unique footage, but it seems hard to fly normal when you want to do so. It also seems more likely to crash.

• Haha
Reactions: alex_markov
Yes, I remember seeing that locale in a previous video. The FPV can provide unique footage, but it seems hard to fly normal when you want to do so. It also seems more likely to crash.
Dont say it ;) it's got lucky till now but I am getting bold and crash is more and more likly to happen ;)

Dont say it ;) it's got lucky till now but I am getting bold and crash is more and more likly to happen ;)
Well, I always consider various factors related to retrieval in the event of a crash. First, shot value. Is it worth the risk getting a specific shot. Do I have drone insurance in the event of total loss? Then, How accessible is the area? Was I filming at the time of crash (always be filming so you have a proxy video to view tree types and other features). Do I have good enough cell service for Satellite view? Can I get to the area without crossing a river or dangerous climbing? Do I have proper footwear for a hike or climb? What systems do I have to assist finding it in a densely forested area? Accessory lights/audible (Firehouse ArcXL), AirTag and/or Marco Polo. Possibility of water landing? Is it a locale I can return to on another day if it’s too late in the day for retrieval?
Ive had 2 water landings, one I had to walk out into a river fully clothed. I had one retrieval that required returning the next day to search an island near the opposite side of a 200 meter wide river. I had to drive to an accessible area downriver, drop my bicycle, drive upriver, get in my kayak, paddle through some minor rapids, ferry across to the other side, spend an hour searching an area with heavy underbrush (wishing I had a machete), locate the drone, ferry back across the river in the kayak, portage the kayak to where I dropped the bike, lock up the kayak, cycle back to the car and drive back downriver to retrieve the kayak. If you can retrieve it, you can send off for repairs, otherwise an expensive replacement.

Well, I always consider various factors related to retrieval in the event of a crash. First, shot value. Is it worth the risk getting a specific shot. Do I have drone insurance in the event of total loss? Then, How accessible is the area? Was I filming at the time of crash (always be filming so you have a proxy video to view tree types and other features). Do I have good enough cell service for Satellite view? Can I get to the area without crossing a river or dangerous climbing? Do I have proper footwear for a hike or climb? What systems do I have to assist finding it in a densely forested area? Accessory lights/audible (Firehouse ArcXL), AirTag and/or Marco Polo. Possibility of water landing? Is it a locale I can return to on another day if it’s too late in the day for retrieval?
Ive had 2 water landings, one I had to walk out into a river fully clothed. I had one retrieval that required returning the next day to search an island near the opposite side of a 200 meter wide river. I had to drive to an accessible area downriver, drop my bicycle, drive upriver, get in my kayak, paddle through some minor rapids, ferry across to the other side, spend an hour searching an area with heavy underbrush (wishing I had a machete), locate the drone, ferry back across the river in the kayak, portage the kayak to where I dropped the bike, lock up the kayak, cycle back to the car and drive back downriver to retrieve the kayak. If you can retrieve it, you can send off for repairs, otherwise an expensive replacement.
Uau You had some experience ;) I had one crash due to a faulty battery :( and MP slept in the field found it in the morning ;) (broken cable on gimble repair cost me ~50 USD) and second was a Mini 2 I had a strange day and simply crashed it in a tree :( (broken arm - exchanged the whole mini due to a valid care refresh) but other than that for 4 years and ~1200 flights have no crashes ;)

My first crash was a critical battery descent on a RTH in a deeply wooded area along a mountain ridge. I though there as little chance of retrieval as there was no cell service so no satellite imagery to assist last known location. However, the visitors center next to my launch had wifi and after 20 min. composing a message to the forum for assistance, a Mennonite guy walks in with my P3 in his hands. He saw it go down next to the trail that leads up the mountain.

The next time (also w/ P3), I was again pushing the battery level and it forced descent just 4’ off the shoreline and the gimbal dipped in the water before I could grab it. I didn’t send off for repair as it was the autumn season and I wasn’t gonna miss the fall colors in the mountains, so I bought the M2P.

Last summer, I crashed the M2P in the woods doing a POI (no side sensors) flying from a boat. Again, no cell service, but I was able to return with the car and find it after an hour search in deep woods. I sent off for repair but had another trip to the mountains the following weekend and decided to buy the MA2. The usb-c/lightning cable that came with it was too short to use my iPad and I had to use my smartphone, which is too small to view telemetry and I descended into a river. I walked out fully clothed to retrieve it, still powered on under water for 10 min. A day in rice and it was fine except a bad battery.

The most recent was the POI I described in the previous post. Lack of side sensors resulted in another tree crash. I realized I definitely need two drones so i always have a backup handy... maybe a 3rd if something good comes out next spring.

My first crash was a critical battery descent on a RTH in a deeply wooded area along a mountain ridge. I though there as little chance of retrieval as there was no cell service so no satellite imagery to assist last known location. However, the visitors center next to my launch had wifi and after 20 min. composing a message to the forum for assistance, a Mennonite guy walks in with my P3 in his hands. He saw it go down next to the trail that leads up the mountain.

The next time (also w/ P3), I was again pushing the battery level and it forced descent just 4’ off the shoreline and the gimbal dipped in the water before I could grab it. I didn’t send off for repair as it was the autumn season and I wasn’t gonna miss the fall colors in the mountains, so I bought the M2P.

Last summer, I crashed the M2P in the woods doing a POI (no side sensors) flying from a boat. Again, no cell service, but I was able to return with the car and find it after an hour search in deep woods. I sent off for repair but had another trip to the mountains the following weekend and decided to buy the MA2. The usb-c/lightning cable that came with it was too short to use my iPad and I had to use my smartphone, which is too small to view telemetry and I descended into a river. I walked out fully clothed to retrieve it, still powered on under water for 10 min. A day in rice and it was fine except a bad battery.

The most recent was the POI I described in the previous post. Lack of side sensors resulted in another tree crash. I realized I definitely need two drones so i always have a backup handy... maybe a 3rd if something good comes out next spring.
Uau, You either fly a lot more than me or are a lot braver than me ;)
When I was paragliding my favorite saying was:
There are two types of pilots
Brave and Alive ;) :)

I was a hang glider pilot in my 20’s. I always wanted to fly and the drones have really fulfilled my love of flying, albeit with a lot less risk for personal safety. As you know, theres less anxiety when you’re not attached to the flying object.
I do like to fly lower and get closer to features as it creates more drama. I also use gimbal tilt a lot, so I don’t always see what’s in front of me. Also, boomerang POI’s which put the drone at risk due to the lack of side sensors. FPV looks pretty risky. I’ll probably get the FPV in the next generation, depending on what DJI comes up with next. You might consider the Pocket 2. Very handy for ground level shots, walking, etc.

I was a hang glider pilot in my 20’s. I always wanted to fly and the drones have really fulfilled my love of flying, albeit with a lot less risk for personal safety. As you know, theres less anxiety when you’re not attached to the flying object.
I do like to fly lower and get closer to features as it creates more drama. I also use gimbal tilt a lot, so I don’t always see what’s in front of me. Also, boomerang POI’s which put the drone at risk due to the lack of side sensors. FPV looks pretty risky. I’ll probably get the FPV in the next generation, depending on what DJI comes up with next. You might consider the Pocket 2. Very handy for ground level shots, walking, etc.
Ah, fellow pilot ;)
I had pocket and sold it - my phone shoots better and I prefer flying ;) and Yes being on the ground while "flying" is a lot better for my skin ;) :) (I fell from the sky several times with my paraglider - luckily had a minor fracture only ones)

Seems hang gliders have fallen out of favor, replaced by the paragliders. I'd consider flying one if I wasn't enjoying droning so much. I can get better aerial footage with a drone.

Yes, phones can take good video... with a mobile gimbal and ND filters. My Pocket 1 has a 'gimbal error' that I can't resolve despite my best attempts. I bought the Pocket 2 a couple weeks ago and did a lot of filming with it in DC last week. Works very well, although walking shots are a little bouncy. I used the 4th axis device by Scottymakesstuff and it helped although you gotta adjust the tension to get it just right.

Regarding DJI FPV - Just came across an old flight from last year with M2P - what strikes me was that the whole flight was 8.9 km long took 12+ minutes and strat with 96% bat and ends with 33% funny enough yesterday I had and DJI FPV flight with total 8.79 km which took 5 minutes starting 96% ending 33% ;) :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kquach229