DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rockland County, NY, Expert Advice Requested

Never owned a drone before but am an avid cyclist and would like to get some shots of the drone following me. I have a Skydio2 with beacon so with somewhat an extended range. I ride along the GW all the way up Bear Mtn. Since the B4UFLY app only gives me the green on airspace clearance, how do you determine when you can use the drone?
I go by airspace clearance and looking for signage (which is not always present when it should be). Any park in Rockland has no drone signs. Harriman does not allow drones either but has no signage (that I've seen) and I've flown as Silver Mine Lake, over the lake without issue before I learned it was not permitted without approval of the park service (very unlikely to get approval).

It's not a perfect scenario.

Glad to find some other drone pilots in Rockland County. I'm also finding it hard to find drone friendly locations. Has anyone looked into flying at Piermont Marsh (Piermont Marsh) or Iona Island (https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/92360.html)? I also want to look into the Stony Point Battle Field, which I believe is an historic site and not state park.

Marc,

I have 4 grills, I'm into it. Two Pit Barrels, a Weber Summit Charcoal and a Bronco. I was reading flying in Rockland is way illegal, anywhere. I guess this is not enforced? Are you 107 certified?

Hi Brad,

Sure thing - we can meet on my street and fly (once above the trees it's an easy place to fly); I can toss something on the grill out back.

I'm off New Hempstead Rd a few blocks west of Little Tor. If the weather is decent this weekend - I'll be flying; great way to take my mind off work.

Regards,
Marc
Good afternoon. Are you all still flying in New City? If so, do you fly only on weekends?
I work for the town and apparently know some of the same people 😁

Good afternoon. Are you all still flying in New City? If so, do you fly only on weekends?
I work for the town and apparently know some of the same people 😁
Yes, I do occasionally to clear my mind; nothing special, just photos.

Imminently moving to AZ for retirement; house is in contract to close July 15th.

My contacts in town were friends for decades; long before being town attorney and now Clarkstown Justice (which should clarify who our friend is). Our children grew up together and were neighbors too.

Reactions: TomEye
Yes, I do occasionally to clear my mind; nothing special, just photos.

Imminently moving to AZ for retirement; house is in contract to close July 15th.

My contacts in town were friends for decades; long before being town attorney and now Clarkstown Justice (which should clarify who our friend is). Our children grew up together and were neighbors too.
Thanks for replying. I have been at the town for decades, so I already figured the friend. Pleasure to work with. I was kind of hoping to find a fly buddy, lol, but best of luck on the move! I have a few more years before I also move out of state. Meantime, I'll keep hunting for fly spots 😁

Tom

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anchorhavasu