DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rookie Mistake

CornerGuy

Reactions
I was flying indoors tonight, comparing new “lower noise” props to original props. 2nd flight, well lets just say I thought I had checked that all the props were locked in. Not so, one flew off on takeoff, luckily while close to the floor and Mavic landed unscathed.
PSA-Always make sure all 3 prop locking tabs are intact and are securely locked in when changing blades or after any blade strike.
Happy Landings All

I'm glad your drone made it through OK.

Be careful too about flying indoors - if the GPS signal changes, or kicks in when it was absent, the Mavic may decide to move rapidly in a horizontal direction.

I'm glad your drone made it through OK.

Be careful too about flying indoors - if the GPS signal changes, or kicks in when it was absent, the Mavic may decide to move rapidly in a horizontal direction.
Hi. Is there any form to prevent GPS signal kicks in?

Seeing this, i think i am going to stop attempting to try to fly inside... :eek:

Whenever I think of flying my Mavic indoors, I just think of stories like this and think yeah F*** that!
Except this story had nothing to do with flying indoors. That unsecured prop would have come off no matter where he was flying. In fact, flying indoors was probably the reason that his mavic did not crash worse, since he was being careful and was close to the ground.

Reactions: Mossiback
Except this story had nothing to do with flying indoors. That unsecured prop would have come off no matter where he was flying. In fact, flying indoors was probably the reason that his mavic did not crash worse, since he was being careful and was close to the ground.

"Rookie" + "indoors" = crash anyway, prop or not.

Reactions: FuzLogix
I don’t see why if GPS locked on position in flight why that would be a problem. It’s when we loose GPS signal in flight is when we get in trouble.
I should clarify it was a rookie mistake not double checking prop lock, but I’m not a rookie. First drone (a Next Level) I built had no GPS or vision sensors, on board live viwe camera, so flying in atti mode is not new to me.
I also used to fly helies, Align T-Rex 250, 450, 500, Blade 130X.

Hi. Is there any form to prevent GPS signal kicks in?

Actually there is a way to prevent GPS from "kicking in" . Its a fanatical approach I admit , but can be done.

Coat the top of the Mavic Pro where the GPS is located with an insulator that blocks the GPS reception. I imagine a piece of aluminum foil "may" (may) work. One would need to use some trial and error to determine if it blocks all of the GPS satellite reception.
Just wrap it on top and use some tape. Then take it outside without launching and power it up. Validate that NO GPS satellites are able to lock on.

Reactions: cgfriberg
Actually there is a way to prevent GPS from "kicking in" . Its a fanatical approach I admit , but can be done.

Coat the top of the Mavic Pro where the GPS is located with an insulator that blocks the GPS reception. I imagine a piece of aluminum foil "may" (may) work. One would need to use some trial and error to determine if it blocks all of the GPS satellite reception.
Just wrap it on top and use some tape. Then take it outside without launching and power it up. Validate that NO GPS satellites are able to lock on.
There is a YT video of a kid doing the aluminum foil wrap to block GPS, if you care.:

Reactions: BD0G
There is a YT video of a kid doing the aluminum foil wrap to block GPS, if you care.:

I can visualize now thousands of Mavic newbies who received ttheir Mavic as a holiday gift or jumped on deep discount, wrapping their Mavics in aluminum foil and flying indoors because of bad weather or because "it's safer indoors, no trees, no neighbors with guns..." :D

Watch the Help forum flood from rivers of tears this holiday season... well, the activity there is already at unusual levels. :D

Reactions: choo choo
I’m a member of some of the mavic groups on Facebook and the amount of people flying indoors and having a problem you wouldn’t believe. Always outdoors for me. Glad it didn’t cost you your drone dude

Yeah, I've been flying my Mavic for half a year now and NEVER a thought of flying indoors crossed my mind and I think never will. To me, flying anything but a tiny $10 racing drone indoors is an insane idea, like jumping out of an airplane without a parachute. But then again, I'm used to risk management in skydiving and BASE jumping, so maybe I have too much fear. I bend my knee to these unsung heroes who know no fear, who know no danger, who know NOTHING. :D

220px-Johnny_English_movie.jpg

At any rate, one thing is for certain: if you don't fly indoors, you won't crash there! Thumbswayup :D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whathesaid