DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rookie/Veteran pilots BEWARE!!

Joey Shivago

Reactions
One of the most discussed topics lately is can I fly my mavic Pro in the rain?
The answer is a resounding flat-out NO!!!! If there is any sign of water damage or corruption in the system when you send it in right away it voids the warranty....
There is a lot of video and a lot of people saying that it works in the rain at its great in the rain these are people trying to get you to wreck your toy it's amazing the depths that some will go to to get a laugh so be careful out there guys just because you see it on the web does not mean that it's true
I have to admit there are Some things that are confusing if it water voids warranty then why do they sell water landing accessories? I personally would like to know the answer to this question. If water voids the warranty then wouldn't a water landing void the warranty surely water must get up inside it when you do it water landing?

a lot of people saying that it works in the rain at its great in the rain these are people trying to get you to wreck your toy

I dont think that anyone here is evil enough to tell someone to fly in the rain just so they can hear a crash story. I personally dont fly in the rain, and I dont think it's a good idea, but if you get caught in a drizzle or rain, it's not the end of the world.

The answer is a resounding flat-out NO!!!! If there is any sign of water damage or corruption in the system when you send it in right away it voids the warranty....
There is a lot of video and a lot of people saying that it works in the rain at its great in the rain these are people trying to get you to wreck your toy it's amazing the depths that some will go to to get a laugh so be careful out there guys just because you see it on the web does not mean that it's true
I have to admit there are Some things that are confusing if it water voids warranty then why do they sell water landing accessories? I personally would like to know the answer to this question. If water voids the warranty then wouldn't a water landing void the warranty surely water must get up inside it when you do it water landing?
Link to this DJI water landing gear please. I have never seen it before.

DJI sells accessories made by other companies, but it doesn't mean they actually support them.

The purpose of every water landing gear ever is to keep the drone out of water...

Also .. where exactly is flying in the rain "the most discussed topic"? What's next, a heated discussion over "Is flying blindfolded a good idea"?
I fly blindfolded and use the extremely loud beep beep beep as echo location. Thought it worked well until I realized I’m not a bat

surely water must get up inside it when you do it water landing?
No, not when you land with care and know what you're doing. Only on flat calm fresh water and certainly not when it's raining. And it depends on the floats you're using. I build them myself. But it is only for the 'VETERAN' pilots because you have to switch off the landing assistance systems like VPS and precision landing.
Never got a drop of water on the body let alone inside. But in rain I won't fly unless it's very light and only for straight up hovering (for inspections). Footage is not useable after the first drop on the lens.

Reactions: Former Member

Many people fly in the rain. From the numbers it would appear light rainfall isn't bad for it. It still works. Maybe not a deluge but a little bit of rain or water vapour doesn't hurt them. Countless youtube videos showing it.

Also DJI don't sell water landing accessories or anything of the sort.

if you look on here for links to a Mavic that's been taken apart you will see that the electrics are all exposed and the fan will suck in moisture through the vent if its raining however light. In time it could and would cover the electrical circuits in moisture, this could be enough to make your drone crash or fly away. Electric circuits are just not designed to be waterproof. Just say you fly in the rain and get lucky unless you strip it down and dry the inside, corrosion on the board will start and in time something will fail.
Its just not worth the risk to other peoples safety. So why not do as Dji suggest and don't fly in the rain?

Reactions: RLW8888
No qualms with a light rain. Downpours different. Why not skip the rain flight? Because on certain trips I spent a good amount of money purchasing my Mavic Air, flying in airplane to location, spending a week there and am I going to miss the shot I went there for because of a little rain? Nah. Send it, dry it off after and move on. Last time I check DJI refresh covered water damage, did this change all of a sudden?

I was asking for a link because I couldn't find anything made or sold by DJI.
DJI does not sell any kind of Mavic Pro landing gear in the DJI Store. The OP must be talking about 3rd parties.

Reactions: Mario T
The purpose of every water landing gear ever is to keep the drone out of water...

Also .. where exactly is flying in the rain "the most discussed topic"? What's next, a heated discussion over "Is flying blindfolded a good idea"?

No I think flicking condoms at props will probably be the next LOL

Reactions: Taylor1430
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottyg2s