DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH Feature......

I'm pretty new at drone flying, so I use RTH quite a bit. I'm going to practice flying it back without RTH to get more comfortable with flying. I saw a YouTube vid that railed against using RTH all the time.......it did make some sense so I'll try to use it less.
Hi,
How do you set the RTH function?
Im a newbie!
Thanks

Rth every time...just to bring the drone home faster. Save the battery. But cancel when it is directly above. I got some trees to avoid

I never use my RTH and if I do use it I just want to see how close it lands to where it took off for calibration purposes. I have my RTH altitude set130 feet, 25 ft higher then the highest point. It's always a bad idea to set your RTH altitude to high when it's not necessary, takes longer to come back home and takes more battery power and strong winds.

Hi,
How do you set the RTH function?
Im a newbie!
Thanks

It's in the aircraft menu settings, not sure if you're using Go4, or Fly app (more likely as a newbie), read your pdf manual (download from online and save to your device) or scroll through all settings to learn what's there.
You'll find it.

Most times RTH is automatically on new drones, and like that unless you turn it off . . . after a firmware update, it may need checking again as it will reset on and old height.

Height !
Needs to be checked and set for every flight to go above surrounding terrain, tress, etc.

It is good to do this even if you generally have RTH turned off, as in the event of a loss of controller signal it will also auto RTH, so the setting height is still very important.

Edit - Oh, and it's usually set to 30m default, and while this might get you above most surrounding objects, it also puts you uo higher than necessary a lot of the time, where there is stronger wind a lot of the time.
Setting RTH at enough clearance, plus a safety factor (maybe + 6 or 7m) is better.
An example is flying from a peak out over a valley, you may only need to set RTH to say 5m.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tim B
I use maven to fly waypoint on my magic air 2 it takes off from the big H to the first waypoint completes the mission then returns hom.

I might take off near my car and then walk about to watch the drone. I almost always fly back manually using the map to orientate the drone but sometimes I'll check out the rth feature and it might get back to the car before I do. Cool if you're talking to someone interested in what you are doing and showing them it'll go home all by itself.

Got a well treed back yard - but I take off in an opening - and I always RTH back to the LZ - more fun that way. My RTH height is some 20m above the highest tree.

I used RTH to completion for the first time today, fly app shut down by itself on my tablet with the Mini 2 about 130 meters away so I just hit the RTH with a black screen. Re opened the app and it came back on but I let it keep doing it's thing. Worked as advertised but stopped short of landing saying "landing area unsuitable". It was on my deck, so I just brought it down the last few feet manually.

I use it maybe 15% of the time and less and less as time and experience builds. I too love the stick time. I practice almost every day orbiting things of interest. Keeping the camera on subject. I to like it for a fail safe. And I live to fly!
I took my Mavic Pro out and did three test of it's RTH accuracy (precision landing). Conditions were light winds, semi confined area (small wooden privacy fenced yard) and using standard "H" target. Setup was pretty simple, lifted off and climbed straight up to 30' to 40', held for @ 5 seconds then flew in various directions for approximately 2,000 feet distance @ 150' altitude. Took photos/video at each location then pressed the RTH feature on the controller. As the drone began RTH I set the camera to straight down. The accuracy was spot on each time, always on the target and precise to the point of surprising me and I use RTH all the time. Just my experience! I did note that on the test the 30'+ takeoff was probably the biggest reason that the drones accuracy was so spot on.

How many people use the RTH feature?
I use it every time...
To be a good drone pilot is it better to practice flying the drone back home without using RTH?

I use it probably 99% of the time and to ensure precision landing I will take the drone up to @ 30' on takeoff, let it set there a moment then continue my flight. My landings are always precision and within inches of take off point.

I have 700 flights and over 800 miles in total and I think I have use RTH maybe 20 times and 10 of them were from just being a newbie.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR