DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH Grayed Out in DJI Go4?

Ray&Paula

Reactions
Newbie........ I'm sitting here at my table in the house with a great GPS signal of 14 satellites. I'm all connected and going through the settings in the DJI Go4 app. In advanced settings, I have the RTH set to "Return to Home." Next to it states "Remote Control Signal Lost." Also the RTH on the main screen is grayed out. Could someone please let me if this is a problem or not? Thank you, Ray

Last edited:
the RTH on the main screen is grayed out
You cannot initiate RTH when the Mavic Air is on the ground. So, DJI grays out that option to prevent it from being accessed.

You cannot initiate RTH when the Mavic Air is on the ground. So, DJI grays out that option to prevent it from being accessed.
Thanks for the help. Does RTH initiate itself upon take off or do I need to initiate it manually? Also, I have it set to 60m therefore does it take off straight up to 60m to identify the RTH position momentarily? As always, thank you for your help, it's always appreciated. Ray :)

Does RTH initiate itself upon take off or do I need to initiate it manually?
"RTH" means "return to home". It's a feature that allows the Mavic Air to automatically fly back to the home point and land. It can be initiated manually or automatically. Check out the "Return to Home" section of the Mavic Air manual for more details.

I have it set to 60m therefore does it take off straight up to 60m to identify the RTH position momentarily?
Do you mean you have the RTH Altitude set to 60 meters? If so, that means the Mavic Air will ascend to 60 meters before returning to the home point when RTH is initiated. That's 60 meters above the takeoff location (not above the Mavic Air's current location).

Reactions: ksmusa
"RTH" means "return to home". It's a feature that allows the Mavic Air to automatically fly back to the home point and land. It can be initiated manually or automatically. Check out the "Return to Home" section of the Mavic Air manual for more details.

Thanks..... I understand exactly what you're saying. I believe I have a good handle on what RTH is. Upon take off it takes a snap shot of where the home point is. You can initiate it anytime by the RTH button on the remote or by tapping the RTH in the DJI Go4 app. Also, RTH will automatically return when the drone detects just enough battery power to get it back to it's home point with a 10 second countdown before doing so. I plan on never letting that happen due to guesswork, wind, obstacles (if any), etc. It also can be cancelled and RC manually home and/or keep flying. I have these settings on.
Do you mean you have the RTH Altitude set to 60 meters? If so, that means the Mavic Air will ascend to 60 meters before returning to the home point when RTH is initiated. That's 60 meters above the takeoff location (not above the Mavic Air's current location).

Yes, altitude set at 60 meters. I totally understand that once RTH is initiated manually/automatically it will descend/ascend to 60 meters and head to its home point. My question was in regards to the drone initially lifting off at 60 meters and taking a snapshot of its take off location automatically. I have read somewhere to let the drone hover momentarily to get a good reading on it's take off location for RTH.
Thanks for your help and please correct me if I'm wrong. I sincerely appreciate your patience with this newbie. Thanks again, Ray :)Thumbswayup

Here's more information about the Precision Landing feature from the Mavic Air manual:

Manual.jpg

Yes, altitude set at 60 meters. I totally understand that once RTH is initiated manually/automatically it will descend/ascend to 60 meters and head to its home point. My question was in regards to the drone initially lifting off at 60 meters and taking a snapshot of its take off location automatically.
The RTH Altitude setting is not used for the Precision Landing feature. You only need to ascend straight up for 7 meters in order to accurately record the takeoff location.

I have read somewhere to let the drone hover momentarily to get a good reading on it's take off location for RTH.
You do not need to hover above the takeoff location for a few seconds.

Here's more information about the Precision Landing feature from the Mavic Air manual:

View attachment 39338

The RTH Altitude setting is not used for the Precision Landing feature. You only need to ascend straight up for 7 meters in order to accurately record the takeoff location.

You do not need to hover above the takeoff location for a few seconds.
Awesome! Thank you for all the great info.!! Ray :)Thumbswayup

With only about 50 flights I am still trying to learn the fine points of the MA. What I wonder about is RTH Precious Landing. If one uses the Takeoff Button on the app it allows you to check Record Precion Location, but if one uses the dual stick initiation and takes off manually will it record the takeoff location with the same level of precision? My impression is that it does not and if so why not?

With only about 50 flights I am still trying to learn the fine points of the MA. What I wonder about is RTH Precious Landing. If one uses the Takeoff Button on the app it allows you to check Record Precion Location, but if one uses the dual stick initiation and takes off manually will it record the takeoff location with the same level of precision? My impression is that it does not and if so why not?
It takes pictures of the ground and uses that in conjunction with GPS when using precision option. If you dont use that option, it just goes by GPS, which will still get it pretty close to the exact takeoff spot, just not as close.

if one uses the dual stick initiation and takes off manually will it record the takeoff location with the same level of precision?
It should if you ascend straight up for at least 7 meters.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair