DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH. Is this something you use?

I think of it like an airbag. Glad it's there, but don't ever want to use it.

I often use RTH. I mostly fly Litchi waypoint missions, and on some, RTH is activated due to low battery level. Also, if I have battery left upon a returning mission, I will fly around manually and then activate RTH so that it returns home with the precision landing.

I have read many posts of problems with RTH, and I'm one of those posters. Mine, however, was my own fault. It was my first flight, I was in a hurry to get somewhere and I wanted to run the battery down that I had charged. I flew out to about a mile, went around a water tower where I lost contact, it went into RTH and then crashed into the other side of the tower even though the OA was activated. The OA couldn't detect the large, white, featureless surface the the tank. If I had taken the time to have set the RTH height to what I normally set my P4 to, I would not be posting the anecdote.

Can you provide a link to the thread with the debate? I tried to search but couldn't find thread that was obvious. Looking for a discussion presenting both sides of the debate.
My only reason for mentioning this is just to point out that many people here have talked about this already. The purpose was not to imply that the question should not be asked again (IMHO). That is one reason why I went on to provide my own reply. Those prior threads are not easy to find.

I understand and agree with the argument that one should not rely on the RTH to bring the drone back. However, that being said, I do believe the future of drones in the near future (5 to 10 years) will be much more autonomous, which means RTH will have to be the standard method for the drone to return home.
Perhaps. We are already seeing more collision sensors being added. The other part of that issue is the ability to "know" what is an obstacle. That is the bigger issue. What people are working on right now is mapping of those obstacles. Cameras are seeing them from many different angles which allow them to see them better, map then out from different angles and then store that information. This means that they already know of these obstacles when flying back near them. If it were something like a chain link fence that it was flying at for the first time, it might not see it. However, if it flew by it before and several cameras saw it from different angles, it could better outline the fence and remember what it looks like. So now when it flies by it again, it already knows the location and shape. We are seeing other companies doing a better job of this mapping then DJI but their products are not in most consumers price range.

IMHO, what we will see from DJI are more collision sensors and better mapping. If they have a list of things to work on, this is #1. It's where all drones will be going. Next on that list should be size and then flight time.

I activated RTH several times when I first purchased my Mavic just to get an idea how it worked. Now it's part of my flight check list and I usually make the first flight close to the launch point then activate it to make sure everything is in order. I like to keep the controller in sports mode when returning but fly back manually at a reduced speed. Myself I always worry about activating RTH and the sun causing it to do something I'm not expecting. If I drop out of VLOS for a second, I try to bring it up high enough to clear the surroundings and fly back to the home point. I don't mind using RTH if the Mavic is close to me where I can cancel the command if need be.

My only reason for mentioning this is just to point out that many people here have talked about this already. The purpose was not to imply that the question should not be asked again (IMHO).
I see. Thank you. Wanted to do my due diligence before asking.

Perhaps. We are already seeing more collision sensors being added. The other part of that issue is the ability to "know" what is an obstacle. That is the bigger issue. What people are working on right now is mapping of those obstacles. Cameras are seeing them from many different angles which allow them to see them better, map then out from different angles and then store that information. This means that they already know of these obstacles when flying back near them. If it were something like a chain link fence that it was flying at for the first time, it might not see it. However, if it flew by it before and several cameras saw it from different angles, it could better outline the fence and remember what it looks like. So now when it flies by it again, it already knows the location and shape. We are seeing other companies doing a better job of this mapping then DJI but their products are not in most consumers price range.

IMHO, what we will see from DJI are more collision sensors and better mapping. If they have a list of things to work on, this is #1. It's where all drones will be going. Next on that list should be size and then flight time.
I hope to see better resolution sensors that can detect finer objects like a fence, and smarter controller that can differentiate objects that will and will not destroy the drone, like a feather vs a bird, and be able to take evasive maneuvers automatically. I assume sensors in all directions should become standard very shortly. Self driving drone seems much easier (less obstacles) than self driving cars. Lots of research and $$ seems to be going in that direction, so I feel these types of refinement of the technology is not that far reaching.

I had to use it today. 3rd flight of the day with a fresh battery. I'm over a large bay about 150' up and around 3500' away and I lose all signal. Flying blind and about to freak out. I had about 80% battery left but knew eventually it would fall out of the sky if I didnt get it back soon. I was working the sticks trying to get it closer to me to pick up visual and got it about halfway back. I hit RTH at that point and the **** thing came from behind me. I had over flown my position. I couldnt get it to land though. It would come down to about head high and then climb to about 100 ft again. Tried again, same thing. Screwy inputs on the forward/back stick and it would not rotate at all. After 3 times trying to land the **** thing I got it to shoulder high and reached under and grabbed onto it. I couldnt power it down and had to physically remove the battery with the blades spinning to get it to stop. Still have all my fingers. And my drone.

Reactions: joejaxvic123
I had to use it today. 3rd flight of the day with a fresh battery. I'm over a large bay about 150' up and around 3500' away and I lose all signal. Flying blind and about to freak out. I had about 80% battery left but knew eventually it would fall out of the sky if I didnt get it back soon. I was working the sticks trying to get it closer to me to pick up visual and got it about halfway back. I hit RTH at that point and the **** thing came from behind me. I had over flown my position. I couldnt get it to land though. It would come down to about head high and then climb to about 100 ft again. Tried again, same thing. Screwy inputs on the forward/back stick and it would not rotate at all. After 3 times trying to land the **** thing I got it to shoulder high and reached under and grabbed onto it. I couldnt power it down and had to physically remove the battery with the blades spinning to get it to stop. Still have all my fingers. And my drone.
The RTH wouldn't cancel when the button was pressed after you noticed it wouldn't land? Also did you try the flight pause button? I've had mine slip into attitude mode and neither of the cancel commands refused to work. I got er home but it was slow and difficult. Did a update and never happened again but I actually can't say the new firmware fixed anything.

I use it all the time, especially if the drone is more than a km away. I activate RTH, check to make sure it's flying home, then I often just check the distance on the remote every now and then until the drone is approaching and ready to land, at that point I'd pick up the remote and ready to take over.

Coming from 3d rc heli years ago, took me awhile learned that not to fly it as a rc, it's an autonomous drone. You tell the computer what to do (even stick movement in sport mode), the computer interpret your wish and perform the operation for you. So I just use as much as it's functions and features as possible.

I use it 50% of the time. Mostly if I get distracted by someone or have to attend to whatever is going on around me. I like that you can still adjust the craft’s direction while auto landing.

The other times I just reverse course and follow my flight path home.

It’s the automation that makes a drone a drone.

and I lose all signal. Flying blind and about to freak out.

I was working the sticks trying to get it closer to me to pick up visual and got it about halfway back. I hit RTH at that point and the **** thing came from behind me. I had over flown my position.

You did not lose all signal if you could still fly manually, you only lost the video feed.

I couldnt power it down and had to physically remove the battery with the blades spinning to get it to stop. Still have all my fingers. And my drone.
Best bet would have been to cancel the RTH to see if you could regain manual control. Also, once in your hand you may have wanted to quickly turn it over to see if that killed the motors. I'm not 100% sure this works on the Pro though.

I have used it only once but not willingly :) ended up with Mavic crashing into power lines once it started to ascent to safe RTH height. So for me - I do not use it.

Don't get it, I've been flying mavic for 14 months use it alot and not one time has it not worked correctly. 85% of the time anyway.

I'm new to flying, but trying to use RTH as little as possible. I find that if I'm not too sure which direction the drone is facing in comparison to where I am I'll change to full map mode, and just turn the drone so the little triangle is facing the tracking line that it went to go to it's location in the first place... makes it very easy to get back.

I guess when I'm done finding what I'm looking for I just get lazy on way home.IMG_0463.JPG

I use it most of the time. It amazes me that with a button press the drone can return home and land within a few inches of where it took off.

Yea it amazes me too, I've even marked where it's feet are sitting and lot of times it'll be within half inch. Amazing

Reactions: Grizzo and Griffin
I use it most of the time. It amazes me that with a button press the drone can return home and land within a few inches of where it took off.

I use it frequently, mainly as it's convenient but I also get enjoyment from watching it come all the way back on it's own.

Reactions: ftttu
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
piloter