DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH malfunction - NSW Country Australia

Jetadhai

Reactions
Question folks: I was flying a Point of Interest exercise for the authorities over a school site (closed over holidays) and after completing on of many circuits I conducted this one RTH (one of many that day). The drone was diagonally across the site from me at that time completing the video circuit & also battery warning had kicked in (I had it on 20% that day). There was a slight panic in the undertow. Waiting for the return I realised suddenly it was descending over there away from me. From streaming vertical downward video it was descending onto a large building roof now BLOS a distance from me (day about 60m away) . I manually overrode with full LHS forward for altitude & after a few seconds of positive response happily RHS forward to get back into view & back to me. Compass confirmed correct direction. Once back in LOS I manually conducted the landing free of unwanted events.

Wonder what happened there ??? It could have been a lake ... the manual override could have glitched ... yikes!

Observing the video of the manual “rescue” you can see it ascending towards the roof ridge of the intervening building line as it started moving forward & gainng altitude ... DIRECTLY INTO A TREE ... all BLOS ... the obstacle avoidance sweetly kicked in to avoid the tree to take bird around it ❤️ ... note: the prop guards I always fly these missions with negate the side sensors ... moral is don’t thrust forward until vertical movement brings bird into view.

Pre flight checks were all done ... compass ... IMU ... GPS hover & links. Happened several weeks ago ... thought I’d put it out for comment ...

Upload the .dat file logs so people can have a look.

Also what distance was it from the home point and from you (if its 20m it'll land where it is).

What was your RTH altitude and smart failsafe setting?

Did you verify it had a good solid GPS lock and home point recorded (and verified on the map) prior to takeoff?

Did you bump any button to dynamically change the home point in flight ?

We need the logs really to help with any of that.

Wonder what happened there ???
As always, the way to find out is to look at the recorded flight data.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report on the flight data.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

Question folks: I was flying a Point of Interest exercise for the authorities over a school site (closed over holidays) and after completing on of many circuits I conducted this one RTH (one of many that day). The drone was diagonally across the site from me at that time completing the video circuit & also battery warning had kicked in (I had it on 20% that day). There was a slight panic in the undertow. Waiting for the return I realised suddenly it was descending over there away from me. From streaming vertical downward video it was descending onto a large building roof now BLOS a distance from me (day about 60m away) . I manually overrode with full LHS forward for altitude & after a few seconds of positive response happily RHS forward to get back into view & back to me. Compass confirmed correct direction. Once back in LOS I manually conducted the landing free of unwanted events.

Wonder what happened there ??? It could have been a lake ... the manual override could have glitched ... yikes!

Observing the video of the manual “rescue” you can see it ascending towards the roof ridge of the intervening building line as it started moving forward & gainng altitude ... DIRECTLY INTO A TREE ... all BLOS ... the obstacle avoidance sweetly kicked in to avoid the tree to take bird around it ❤ ... note: the prop guards I always fly these missions with negate the side sensors ... moral is don’t thrust forward until vertical movement brings bird into view.

Pre flight checks were all done ... compass ... IMU ... GPS hover & links. Happened several weeks ago ... thought I’d put it out for comment ...
Now good question ... have not yet down loaded logs ... don’t know how ... reading this forum I believe DJI have to help out with retrieval programmes ... am talking to them ...

Now good question ... have not yet down loaded logs ... don’t know how ... reading this forum I believe DJI have to help out with retrieval programmes ... am talking to them ...
No ... that's incorrect and DJI are unlikely to be much help.
I gave you details in the post #3 above.
Follow that if you want help.
Some members here can read flight data and give you much more info than DJI ever would ... and do it in a very short time.
If you'd followed post #3 when it was posted nearly 2 hours ago, you'd probably have answers already.

Reactions: Jetadhai
Upload the .dat file logs so people can have a look.

Also what distance was it from the home point and from you (if its 20m it'll land where it is).

What was your RTH altitude and smart failsafe setting?

Did you verify it had a good solid GPS lock and home point recorded (and verified on the map) prior to takeoff?

Did you bump any button to dynamically change the home point in flight ?

We need the logs really to help with any of that.
RTH 60m + - ... standing over home point almost ... over 14 sats locked in ... confirmed by hovering for several seconds ... only operated camera angles during circuits which were successfully executed ... before RTH ... let’s see if I can retrieve logs ... sounds like another exhaustive learning ng curve ...

No ... that's incorrect and DJI are unlikely to be much help.
I gave you details in the post #3 above.
Follow that if you want help.
Some members here can read flight data and give you much more info than DJI ever would ... and do it in a very short time.
If you'd followed post #3 when it was posted nearly 2 hours ago, you'd probably have answers already.
Thank you ... will try tomorrow ... now ZZZ zzz

let’s see if I can retrieve logs ... sounds like another exhaustive learning curve ..
Follow the link I gave and you'll find instructions.
The whole process takes about two minutes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zohpar