DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH message

Brevanskc

Reactions
Used the RTH feature for the first time (twice) today. A message on the controller appeared "aircraft is returning to home. Minimum RTH altitude is set to 98 ft. You can reset RTH altitude in Remote Controller Settings after cancelling RTH." Don't want to reset the altitude. Not sure why I got the message. Each flight altitude was well over 100’. Did I accidentally touch a button or move one of the sticks during the process or is this a normal message? I am still very new to this and still learning.

Used the RTH feature for the first time (twice) today. A message on the controller appeared "aircraft is returning to home. Minimum RTH altitude is set to 98 ft. You can reset RTH altitude in Remote Controller Settings after cancelling RTH." Don't want to reset the altitude. Not sure why I got the message. Each flight altitude was well over 100’. Did I accidentally touch a button or move one of the sticks during the process or is this a normal message? I am still very new to this and still learning.
you do not say which mavic you are talking about ,but the message is just that, a message telling you what the RTH height is currently set at
before you fly you need to look around your surroundings, and check for high trees or structures in the area where you intend to fly, and then set a RTH height which will be above the tallest one ,i find 40m or 120ft to be a good choice for most rural flying as there are very few trees that tall, when you press the RTH if the drone is below the preset RTH height then it will go to that height before returning, if you were flying at say 200ft then it would return at that height, also remember that if it is closer than 60m from home point then it will just land where it is if you press RTH, hope this helps

Thanks for the response, my first thought was that it was just a "good to know" standard informational message and not a warning alert but after the second message I began to wonder if I touched something I shouldn't when it was returning home. I have a MPP and fly in a rural farming area with just a couple trees around my house no larger than 60’ so I assumed I set the altitude high enough. I will increase it a little more to ensure there is no threat.

Reactions: old man mavic
you do not say which mavic you are talking about ,but the message is just that, a message telling you what the RTH height is currently set at
before you fly you need to look around your surroundings, and check for high trees or structures in the area where you intend to fly, and then set a RTH height which will be above the tallest one ,i find 40m or 120ft to be a good choice for most rural flying as there are very few trees that tall, when you press the RTH if the drone is below the preset RTH height then it will go to that height before returning, if you were flying at say 200ft then it would return at that height, also remember that if it is closer than 60m from home point then it will just land where it is if you press RTH, hope this helps

Question for old man: When you set the RTH altitude it will measure this from the takeoff location, right? My question is ths, what if you set RTH to 150ft. then fly over a hill at 300 ft to clear the peak, drop to 100 ft in the valley beyond, which would actually be below the takeoff altitude, and then use the RTH button. Will my Mavic Pro run into the side of the hill at 150ft returning home? Before you mention the issue, I would never do this as the drone would be out of line of site.

Landing on RTH execution is about 60ft (20m) and not 60m.

Question for old man: When you set the RTH altitude it will measure this from the takeoff location, right? My question is ths, what if you set RTH to 150ft. then fly over a hill at 300 ft to clear the peak, drop to 100 ft in the valley beyond, which would actually be below the takeoff altitude, and then use the RTH button. Will my Mavic Pro run into the side of the hill at 150ft returning home? Before you mention the issue, I would never do this as the drone would be out of line of site.
RTH will ascend if the AC is currently below the RTH height relative to takeoff when RTH is executed and not based on any past height during the flight.

The best way to learn any behavior is to try it in a controlled setting. Firsthand experience is always the best teacher.

two things firstly the RTH height you set is relative to the home point so if it was where you say it would go up to 150 ft above the home point altitude and so miss the hill on its return
what would prevent you from doing such a manouver apart from as you say, being out of VLOS would be the fact that the signal would drop out as soon as you started to descend behind the hill ,the same way it does if you go behind a building ,and then the drone would go into RTH mode after a few seconds

Reactions: The Rolling Drones
.....back to the original post; Unless the message that appeared as the craft began to RTH always appears when executed I still don't know why the alert popped up.
possibly you lost connection with the controller or it went into Atti mode for some reason ,what you could do is fly out about 40ft from home point and switch off the controller,at that distance it should just start to land, as soon as you turn off the controller see what if any message comes up on the screen

To answer your question.

You are kinda alright. It will stop. (Most times ) Mavic 2 will try to go over. Now back to the Original post.

Thank you razoraerial. I didn't think it was a actionable alert but seeing it a second time I started overthinking it. Just seemed that if everything was good to go there was no need for that reminder.

Reactions: razoraerial
.....back to the original post; Unless the message that appeared as the craft began to RTH always appears when executed I still don't know why the alert popped up.

Sorry Brevanskc, I didn't mean to hijack your post.
Sam

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan