DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH settings for flying under a canopy of trees

k_h_d

Reactions
I am sure this is obvious but wanted to see what others do. My drone experience is racing drones only. I have several that I fly around my property through around and under trees. This is my first intelligent drone.

In this flying environment do you guys set Failsafe to just stop and hover? Do you completely disable rth all together?

Reactions: Prado man
In this flying environment do you guys set Failsafe to just stop and hover?
You can set the Remote Controller Signal Lost setting to "Hover". But, that only comes into play if the remote controller signal is lost.

Do you completely disable rth all together?
That's not possible.

Disable the "Smart Return-to-Home" setting and don't manually initiate RTH.

DJI-GO-Smart-Return-to-Home-DJIGO4.jpg

I leave my RTH as is and make sure it has enough height to clear the trees. You can still steer the aircraft during its RTH descent without disabling it.

But if it’s under a tree it will ascend up into it, correct?

I find and opening through branches on ascent. It's tricky in dense areas but possible. Make sure that you have good GPS reception or at least attain it after clearing the height of the trees. When you hit return to home you'll have to be ready to make adjustments to the craft on descent.

I find and opening through branches on ascent. It's tricky in dense areas but possible. Make sure that you have good GPS reception or at least attain it after clearing the height of the trees. When you hit return to home you'll have to be ready to make adjustments to the craft on descent.
He's talking about a RTH due to signal loss.

If you have RTH enabled and flying under a canopy as soon as you lose signal mavic is going to end up in the trees.

Reactions: Kilrah
Just set this to Hover ...

However if you are flying under canopy/cover I would advise turning off sensors and maybe flying in Tripod mode.

Signal loss to hover and disable smart RTH.
GPS is usually less accurate under a tree canopy, its often darker so optical position keeping and OA arent as effective. Basically you want it to stay exactly where it is in the event of an issue so you can get closer and manually drive it.

If you're flying under a canopy of trees you 1st need to set the RTH to "Hover" as you don't want your Mavic to ascend into a tree if the RTH is iniated.

If you're flying under a canopy of trees you 1st need to set the RTH to "Hover" as you don't want your Mavic to ascend into a tree if the RTH is iniated.

I used to think ordinary RTH (self initiated or low batt) could be set to hover, it can't.
RTH can either be enabled, or disabled, it can be set to RTH at different altitudes, and use obstacle avoidance.

Wireless signal loss can be set to RTH, hover, or land.

I'm still getting through all options myself, there may be other options you can set in some cases.

You need one of these drone umbrellas!
Then you can just power through the canopy to clear skies. :D

2v2JoBakFxvn42L.png

Reactions: Callum
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member